Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I went to the derm today and he said my tryglycerides shot up above 300. He said he was not too concerned but he prescribed me a lipid regulator and reduced my dose for a week. Has anyone else had this problem. does anyone know the normal level for accutane users. Also, are you supposed to eat a low fat or high fat diet with accutane. I heard a high fat diet helps absorbtion. Before Accutane I ate a low fat diet and my initial test came back fine. When I started accutane I ate a high fat diet and my numbers jumped. Does anyone have any dietary tips? thank you

You should take your dose with a good source of fat to increase absorption, but you should pick fats which have a positive effect on blood lipids rather than a negative one. For instance, you would want to avoid saturated fats in favor of unsaturated fats like those found in olive oil, avocado, and oily fish like salmon.

Even this may not be enough to regulate your blood lipids during a course since Accutane itself is causing the rise, but it's best to not make it worse with your diet. You wouldn't want to go low fat though since then your absorption will be significantly reduced.

Are you drinking alcohol? That can cause your lipid numbers to jump.

I don't know which ones, but my understanding is that there are supplements (fish oil? omega3/omega 6?) that help lower those levels.