Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doppleganger

What cleanser should I buy/use with Differin and Clindamycin?

Almost a year ago this month, I took a trip to the derm and after an EXTREMELY short session in which I showed and explained to him my acne problems (like benzoyl peroxide working yet at the expense of making my face look like a virtual oil slick and leaving residue), he prescribed me Differin gel and Clindamycin lotion. Months prior to this visit, I had stopped using my old formula (Plexion cleanser, BP/Retin-a Micro) because the ingridients had expired and so had my prescriptions, so I started using this in the meantime:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000Y3NS...e&n=3760901

Well, turns out some complications occured with getting the cleanser at the pharmacy, so I had to make another visit to the derm. But I never did, and I just kept on taking care of my face with the aforementioned Aveeno bar and an exfoliating sponge. A formula that despite drying me out and having me flake at times got the job done for the time being. Ever since then I've been procrastinating and neglecting my face by using this formula, but I think I've finally decided to come to my senses and purchase the cleanser that I should've almost a year ago.

The Differin and Clindamycin or more or less still unused in their boxes, with expiration dates of mid-to-late 2007. Would I still be able to use them? And if so, what cleanser should I seek out or perhaps visit the derm to get prescribed? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!!

Almost a year ago this month, I took a trip to the derm and after an EXTREMELY short session in which I showed and explained to him my acne problems (like benzoyl peroxide working yet at the expense of making my face look like a virtual oil slick and leaving residue), he prescribed me Differin gel and Clindamycin lotion. Months prior to this visit, I had stopped using my old formula (Plexion cleanser, BP/Retin-a Micro) because the ingridients had expired and so had my prescriptions, so I started using this in the meantime:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000Y3NS...e&n=3760901

Well, turns out some complications occured with getting the cleanser at the pharmacy, so I had to make another visit to the derm. But I never did, and I just kept on taking care of my face with the aforementioned Aveeno bar and an exfoliating sponge. A formula that despite drying me out and having me flake at times got the job done for the time being. Ever since then I've been procrastinating and neglecting my face by using this formula, but I think I've finally decided to come to my senses and purchase the cleanser that I should've almost a year ago.

The Differin and Clindamycin or more or less still unused in their boxes, with expiration dates of mid-to-late 2007. Would I still be able to use them? And if so, what cleanser should I seek out or perhaps visit the derm to get prescribed? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!!

As long as they haven't expired, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to use your prescriptions. You might want to make sure you'll be able to refill them once you use them up though. As far as a cleanser, I definitely recommend Cetaphil. It's gentle and non-medicated- perfect for sensitive skin or Differin/Retin-A treated skin. I use Retin-A and love Cetaphil :) And btw, I'd maybe lay off the exfoliating while you're using Differin. If you absolutely HAVE to exfoliate, maybe just use a washcloth in the shower and rub very gently. Good luck!

Well, I went to see in what condition the Clindamycin lotion and Differin (cream) were, and they seem to be very "liquid", and not "solid" like I've seen most of my other acne medications (BP, Retin-A Micro) were. Is that a sign that I should chuck them? I'm afraid the refill options have expired as well. Dammit.

Cetaphil huh? The liquid or the bar? I've been checking out the reviews on this site for the recommended products to use, and they seem to be very mixed. I'd really like to be able to know what cleanser I should try before going out and buying it, before I'm sure we all have wasted hundreds of dollars on acne products mostly in vain, right?

See, BP/Retin-A and the like were too "messy" and "high maintainance" for me seeing as I couldn't touch my face or lay down on my face for anything without risking damaging my skin or having the medication rub off on my pillows and pillow casings. Which is why I stopped using them for awhile. Though my face is paying the price for it, and I'm afraid that the Aveeno Bar/exfoliating sponge combo ain't working anymore. (Not that it was a permanent solution to begin with, I just made it one.)

Is there any way to get my acne treated and reduce the high maintenance and messiness of the medications as much as possible? Because I am on the go and busy often, and can't always make time for that. I even cut my hair which I had been growing out for over 2 years because it was too much maintenance and upkeep, and wasn't helping my acne either.

Thanks!!!

I'm not sure about the consistency of differin (I've never used it-- only retin-a), but I currently use clindamycin Lotion and mine is definitely very liquidy (and fresh).

I use the cetaphil liquid cleanser- it comes in a white bottle with a blue label. I buy mine at Costco so it's cheaper per ounce. I like it because it's gentle and non-medicated. If you're going to be using Differin, you probably don't want to use anything with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide in it. Nothing too abrasive either.

As far as an acne remedy goes...have you tried antibiotics? Those are pretty controversial on these boards, but I've been on them for over 2 years now and have had great success (and, yes, my liver and kidney function is perfect according to my bloodwork). I think keeping your hair short and out of your face is a good idea. Also, try to wash your pillowcase often, and be aware when things are touching your face (cell-phone, hands, etc.). Stay well-hydrated, and try to eat healthy. Also, some people think milk is related to acne (because there's hormones in it), but I drink tons of milk and my skin is clear (thanks to minocycline and retin-a!). Good luck!

I figured that both the Differin and Clindamycin were liquidy because of the time spent unused (almost a year) and that the ingredients had separated or something...................like peanut butter,lol. Looking at them like that, it doesn't look like they'd stick on my face upon application. Oh well, I won't know until I try I suppose. Their expiration dates are listed from mid-to-late 2007, and I have no more refills so they would make due until I'm able to visit the derm again.

Personally, I have pretty oily skin (especially along my t-zone and chin area) that I have to blot off with a tissue/cloth many times a day, but I can't ever seem to achieve the perfect balance between dry and oily skin when treating my face. It's either oil-slicked skin or dry. crackling, peeling infection-prone skin. I tried the liquid version of the Aveeno bar I'm still using and found that it didn't cleanse my face as well as the bar, so I went back to the bar. Still looking for a way to regulate this oil after all these years (and Accutane isn't an option seeing as I have borderline mild-moderate acne at most)...............

As far as antibiotics, well I took doses of B5 for awhile after first joining this site and finding out about them, but I grew tired of wasting so much money on them and seeing little to no results, not to mention worrying about my liver health so I stopped taking it cold turkey. I still take the B-complex daily though (one pill a day that is). *sigh*, at this point, I'm hoping not to waste any more mounds of cash on "the next big hope". Not that my acne has ever been abysmal and I'm thankful for that, but it's always been there.

Wow..........had to get that off my chest. Guess that makes up for not being here in ages huh? :cool: