Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
callie9500

any 14year olds out there....

I need to get my son something for his acne (soap or wash) he is in football and is sweating alot especially with his helmet on so I need to get him something today after work because his acne is getting really bad. I went last night and bought him PANOXYL bar and have since heard not to use that on the face, so I was wondering if there is any kids out there his age that could tell me what they use and like.....

You want to look for someone with the same TYPE of acne as he has... not necessarily the same age. I had cystic acne by the time I was 14.

Have you looked at the CSR on this site? Check out some of the regimens... Cetaphil Daily Cleanser for Normal to Oily skin is the best cleanser I have ever used... but there are lots of opinions.

You want to look for someone with the same TYPE of acne as he has... not necessarily the same age. I had cystic acne by the time I was 14.

Have you looked at the CSR on this site? Check out some of the regimens... Cetaphil Daily Cleanser for Normal to Oily skin is the best cleanser I have ever used... but there are lots of opinions.

Yes, I saw the CSR but it seems pretty harsh for him. It is maybe moderate right now and it is the kind of pimple that if you pop it it turns into a big scab (which he denys doing) and he has quite a few suddenly on his face right now. He is getting were he avoids talking to people etc....

Yes, I saw the CSR but it seems pretty harsh for him. It is maybe moderate right now and it is the kind of pimple that if you pop it it turns into a big scab (which he denys doing) and he has quite a few suddenly on his face right now. He is getting were he avoids talking to people etc....

Is he about to start high school?

That's the kind of acne I have... If the pimples pop, they scab, crust over, become itchy... and can stay for months (particularly if I get a cystic lesion). On most other people, that would scar, but I'm lucky... Your son may not be so lucky.

I would recommend that you give him a gentle cleanser (like Cetaphil or Purpose), a salicylic acid spot treatment product (there's one by C&C) or a BP spot treatment, some Neosporin cream (note: cream, not ointment... the ointment can cause more acne for some people) for the scabs to try to prevent scars and reinfection of the spots, and at his next doctor's appointment ask about topical retinoids (which s/he will probably give you without hesitation), and use them EXACTLY as they are prescribed. That is just my humble advice...

Yes, I did also get the C&C acne advantage spot treatment last night maybe I should just have him use that and wash with Dove sensitive soap like he was before the football and all the pimples started? Yes, he is going to be a freshmen in 2 weeks and is horrified in going to school like this.

Yes, I did also get the C&C acne advantage spot treatment last night maybe I should just have him use that and wash with Dove sensitive soap like he was before the football and all the pimples started? Yes, he is going to be a freshmen in 2 weeks and is horrified in going to school like this.

Okay... Well in my opinion bar soaps don't work nearly as well as the liquid soap-free cleansers... They tend to leave some residue, even the Dove soaps (I've used them and frankly they're not all that good, even for sensetive skin bar soaps). The other thing you can do are to make sure he always showers and washes his face after he is done with football for the day, as soon as he can.

Okay... Well in my opinion bar soaps don't work nearly as well as the liquid soap-free cleansers... They tend to leave some residue, even the Dove soaps (I've used them and frankly they're not all that good, even for sensetive skin bar soaps). The other thing you can do are to make sure he always showers and washes his face after he is done with football for the day, as soon as he can.

OKAY....maybe I should get the clean & clear acne wash....yeah, he has been taking a shower the minute I pick him up....

OKAY....maybe I should get the clean & clear acne wash....yeah, he has been taking a shower the minute I pick him up....

I really would advise against a harsh cleanser with SA or BP in it... they work for some people but for me it just dries out my skin and makes everything worse. Non-prescription acne washes tend to be pretty crappy... I'd really go for the Cetaphil if I were you.

Edit: FYI, I've tried just about every OTC product out there during these 8 or 9 years I've dealt with the problem... and nothing that's advertised as "anti-acne" really works very well. The regimen I am using right now is BY FAR the most effective and pain-free thing I have done for my skin... I only wish I had learned about it sooner, or that my mom had been like you and tried to help me more.

I really would advise against a harsh cleanser with SA or BP in it... they work for some people but for me it just dries out my skin and makes everything worse. Non-prescription acne washes tend to be pretty crappy... I'd really go for the Cetaphil if I were you.

Edit: FYI, I've tried just about every OTC product out there during these 8 or 9 years I've dealt with the problem... and nothing that's advertised as "anti-acne" really works very well. The regimen I am using right now is BY FAR the most effective and pain-free thing I have done for my skin... I only wish I had learned about it sooner, or that my mom had been like you and tried to help me more.

Yeah, I was just looking on line and the C&C all has like 10% bp but I found one that is the acne foaming wash which is 2% SA....what do you think? I know I want to help him I hate seeing him sad, I am supose to be working right now but I am spending all this time trying to figure out what to get him when I get off work, and he wont discuss any of this with me so I just have to buy something and put it in his bathroom. Maybe I should just go with the cetaphil.

Yeah, I was just looking on line and the C&C all has like 10% bp but I found one that is the acne foaming wash which is 2% SA....what do you think? I know I want to help him I hate seeing him sad, I am supose to be working right now but I am spending all this time trying to figure out what to get him when I get off work, and he wont discuss any of this with me so I just have to buy something and put it in his bathroom. Maybe I should just go with the cetaphil.

The 2% SA washes really don't do anything beneficial, IMO... The SA isn't on your skin long enough to do what it's supposed to do, and it gets rinsed off anyway, and the wash tends to just dry you out a bit, and it stings if you have an open wound. There's some product ratings on the non-message board section of the site... might want to check those out.

i'm 15, and have had acne since i was about 12. i'd say it's moderate/persistant, but with the clear skin regimen i'm basically clear right now, with just a couple tiny bumps and some fading red marks. sometimes when i pop them they do scab over. my skin regimen is described in my signature; if he decides to use it, make sure he watches the videos of how to do everything. you can PM me for more information if you want :] also, if he wants to, it might be benificial to him to join this forum. he could get advice on products and such, and also get support from people who are going through the same thing he is. it's really nice to have people to talk to who know what it's like. it's good of you to look into this for him :]

oh also, you said the csr sounds too harsh for him.. i have pretty sensitive skin, and it's fine for me as long as i use lots of moisturizer.

i'm 15, and have had acne since i was about 12. i'd say it's moderate/persistant, but with the clear skin regimen i'm basically clear right now, with just a couple tiny bumps and some fading red marks. sometimes when i pop them they do scab over. my skin regimen is described in my signature; if he decides to use it, make sure he watches the videos of how to do everything. you can PM me for more information if you want :] also, if he wants to, it might be benificial to him to join this forum. he could get advice on products and such, and also get support from people who are going through the same thing he is. it's really nice to have people to talk to who know what it's like. it's good of you to look into this for him :]

oh also, you said the csr sounds too harsh for him.. i have pretty sensitive skin, and it's fine for me as long as i use lots of moisturizer.

I wish he would join this forum, he wont even let me get on the topic of this conversation though.....thats why I was just trying to buy him something and put it in his bathroom to use....I dont know.

I wish he would join this forum, he wont even let me get on the topic of this conversation though.....thats why I was just trying to buy him something and put it in his bathroom to use....I dont know.

Well I know that at that age I didn't want to talk about it because I thought it was embarassing... I didn't realize that I wasn't the only one with acne and that my parents had it too... Maybe a gentle shove in the right direction is what he needs. As long as you do NOT approach it as "you're doing something wrong, you need to do this to fix it" and more like "I know you have a problem, let's discuss it and try to help it get better by working together. I hate to see you sad, I love you and I want you to feel better."

Well I know that at that age I didn't want to talk about it because I thought it was embarassing... I didn't realize that I wasn't the only one with acne and that my parents had it too... Maybe a gentle shove in the right direction is what he needs. As long as you do NOT approach it as "you're doing something wrong, you need to do this to fix it" and more like "I know you have a problem, let's discuss it and try to help it get better by working together. I hate to see you sad, I love you and I want you to feel better."

Yeah, thats what I do, he just says he hates being ugly....when I talk about getting something for it or going to a derm he closes up and ESPECIALLy if I try and say like.....you know, what I found also helps me is drinking alot of water and eating right but I dont get very far....

I had the same problem as him... teh football helmet created my acne problem today... the thing is make sure he doesnt over due it... I really messed up when I first got acne cuz I had no idea what to do so I washed WAY to many times a day... the one thing i say not to do is to take him to a dermatologist because most of the stuff they give you are jus temporary solutions but acne most likely will come back sooner or later.... Just get him something depending on his skin type... :doubt:

hey i'm 14 and i've been using the CSR for about 3 weeks and it seems to be working so that is what i would suggest

Hey I'm 14 and I've played football for 3 years, this will be my fourth, I found the workout and beating the hell out of eachother for 2 hours every night actually helped my acne on my face, but on chest and back it got real bad from the shoulder pad's... theraseptic+OTC benzoil peroxide+healthy diet(which helps football miraculously also) seemed to do the trick for me.... not completely clear but clear enough, I'm just starting proactiv solution+green tea now so.. yeah

Make a dermatologist appointment and get some antibiotics before it gets really bad and starts to scar.

Yepp...

Do that ASAP!

I need to get my son something for his acne (soap or wash) he is in football and is sweating alot especially with his helmet on so I need to get him something today after work because his acne is getting really bad. I went last night and bought him PANOXYL bar and have since heard not to use that on the face, so I was wondering if there is any kids out there his age that could tell me what they use and like.....

ive heard that the best all aorund acne cleanser is Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash, both original and Foam Cleanser. I never really liked it, but i know a lot of younger people who do. It's highly reccommended.

Tell him to be gentle with his skin. Only wash twice a day. Use gentle cleanser like Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser or Dan's CSR Cleanser. Benzoyl peroxide works really well, and even if you think the full-blown regimen is too much, a light layer will certainly help. Order some CSR gel and only apply about a dime-sized amount to the face. Other advice you could give him (although it may be hard to talk to him about it, is to drink lots of water, stop drinking sodas and eating sugary foods, and don't touch your face) - tell him you got the advice from people who have gone through the same thing he is going through, and maybe he will listen. I have had acne since I was 14, I am 28 now, and for the first time I am clear thanks to the CSR.

yeah, i tried to tell him about eating healthy. I never quite no what to say to help him feel better either--like emotionally. Its like if I talk to him about possible solutions to try he gets upset and if I tell him its really not as bad as he thinks he realy gets upset I dont know----its hard. I feel so bad for him. He wont look at me so I cant even tell if the C&C spot treatment I got him 2 nights ago is helping or not......if I ask him he says "I dont know Mom gosh its only been two days!!" he just answers like he is really aggravated that I even brought it up......

I was alot like him 2 years ago... you gotta make him go to the family doctar at least, and she'll likely prescribe something that will help, not clear, but help enough to live happier