Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
drprox

Should i go on accutane? Help!

I have had acne for years now. Im starting university in october so i wanted my skin to be nicer for then.

I was using benzoyl peroxide and it was keeping it under control but not clear, its still not good.

My derm today said he wants to give me accutane. I dont know wether to take it or not. I really want clear skin at last but i only have 6 weeks before uni, and then theres the problem of not being able to drink aswell, that isnt going to be good with everyone else getting hammered.

What should i do?

J

Accutane won't clear you by the time school starts. Have you tried a topical retinoid? But if your derm offered Accutane, why don't you just take it? A few dry months is better than another year of acne...

well there is a good chance you wont be clear in 6 weeks before uni and accutane will be hell for 5 months but it will most likely clear you up and not have to worry about it anymore. it also sounds like you are more persistant than cystic. i would say if your fed up with acne and you are willing to take the risks of accutane and are ready to be dry as hell for 5 months than go for it. i just started it and trust me it will be tough on you expecially since your just starting school cuz that means you should stay away from drinking def binge drinkin cuz thats very hard on your liver.

I wouldn't recommend going to accutane unless you absolutely have to. If you are just looking to control your acne try something else. If you have acne that doctors are sure accutane is the only way to fix it then go ahead and do it. Accutane is too risky. It has taken away 6 months of my life because I had an adverse reaction to it and I won't be cured for at the very minimum another 8 months. I have an extremely swollen face full of cysts and that won't go away for at least 4 months and I have had it 3 months. This happens to a lot of people and I don't know if you want to risk it.

Everyone i talk to it about says that it has cleared them and their skin looks awesome. I just wish mine did.

The derm said its better to start sooner before i get more scars.

The thing is i know the first term of uni is going to be full of drinking and if i cant its going to spoil it. Sounds silly but i dont want to be left out.

I could always just start accutane next year when im settled in uni.

My acne is not severe as in some cases ive seen, it just wont go away. Its not usually deep, just loads of red marks, some whiteheads and the rest under the skin spots that arent whiteheads but are irritating and look a mess. I wish my skin was a single colour it just looks like a red and white mess at the moment.

With antibiotics and bp i can keep it looking pretty good, just i always feel like im getting looked at differently to other people

I just like the fact that accutane is usually permanent. Having clear skin in 5 months time would be SO nice, but if its going to damage my liver if i drink its not worth it.