Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
1rich

Why Does Accutane Leave Red Marks?

Posted

I've just been wondering why red marks are left? What happens to the skin to make the buggers last for years??

Any info would be great.

Posted

Well, I'm guessing accutane has been working for you? If you had any existing acne before accutane, they may have left some marks when you started to clear up. I don't know much about accutane but I do know it basically saps the moisture and oil out of your skin. I know it may sound ironic, but your facial oil is a strong component in the healing of your skin. It's a convenient resistance to things. I don't think accutane is leaving red marks on your face, it's simply drying your face up so your complexion may not look great, thus, making your red marks appear a bit worse. Give it some time, you should clear up in no time.

Posted

Thanks for the reply. Your right accutane worked for me.. but that was 20 odd months ago. My marks still remain!! Do you think one day they will sort themselves out??

Posted

Yea, I think you'll be fine. The first step in getting rid of red marks is to first clear up of acne. Persistent and consistent acne worsen existing red marks and pronounce the marks even more. So now that you're clear, you definitely can look forward to slowly clearing your marks. I recommend applying some healthful cream or lotion at night before you go to sleep. It's a good idea to maintain your skin overnight. I currently use Dove Energy Glow Brightening Night Cream (I used to use the Sensitive Essentials brand but it got discontinued) with much success. You can also look into all those exfoliating regimens (AHA, ACV, etc.) if you prefer those.

Posted

i hope his marks clear up. i have red marks left after accutane that have been there 12 years.

Posted

Wow.. that's a long time!! Are they just red marks or are they scar tissue? From all the research i've done and on these boards everyone tends to agree that they fade. I mean you just don't see people with red marks in there late 20's, 30's.

Obviously there are always exceptions, just generalising and being positive!

Posted

i sure wonder why its calle dthe wonder drug!