Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Acne Tidbits by James E. Fulton, Jr., M.D., Ph.D.

Acne is American’s most common disease

60 million Americans have it.

20 million have lifelong physical and mental scars

Acne is genetic – it runs in certain families

If both parents had acne – 3 of 4 children will have it.

They not only have acne – but have same year of onset, and . . .

Same location on face or back, and. . .

Same type of acne, for example, cystic acne.

Acne has hit epidemic proportion now in adult women

Acne used to be a teenage boy problem but, now

Women are plagued with it in the 20’s or 30’s from the

Stress of 2 jobs,

Going on and off Birth Control Pills and

Wearing more make up.

Bury the acne myths...

Acne is not due to dirty skin

Acne is not due to certain foods such as Chocolate

Acne is not due to hair dangling on your forehead

Acne is not due to sexual frustrations.

Your own oil (sebum) will sludge up the dead skin cells in skin pores and cause the acne flare up.

Aggravating factors which may make acne worse

Stress – any disease is made worse with stress.

Mechanical occlusion – headbands, chin strap, and backpacks can clog the pores.

Birth control pills – some make acne worse, some make acne better.

Your favorite cosmetics – may be destroying your skin.

Heat and Humidity – topical climates may aggravate acne.

Diet – excessive iodides are eliminated through the pores and may flare up acne.

Drugs – Lithium, Dilantin, Steroids aggravate acne

Your fingernail (picking) may drive the impaction deeper.

Sunlight may make acne better or worse – but excessive sunlight will always destroy your skin.

Vitamins – some formulations contain excessive iodides, for example, kelp or potassium iodide, which could flare up your condition.

Cosmetics

Cosmetics are deceiving – they cover up and take 4 to 6 months to cause a flare up. Many sufferers don’t make the connection between their acne and their favorite cosmetics.

Learn to read ingredient declarations – the more water-based product the better. Avoid oils like isopropyl myristate (Liquid Wrench) and lanolin derivatives (acetylated lanolin).

Some Lipsticks may contain these irritating ingredients

Some hair pomades and hair conditioners may contain these irritating ingredients and cause acne in the forehead and temples.

Misconceptions about “oil free� cosmetic – Beware of this label claim� “this product contains no animal, vegetable or mineral oil.� It may contain “synthetic oil� which is just as bad.

Research the ingredients in acne treatment creams also – Retin A cream contains isopropyl myristate, which may aggravate the problem – not improve it.

Various Therapies for Acne

Vitamin A acid, retinoic acid, tretinoin (Retin-A®)

In 1969 Dr. Fulton and Dr. Kligman developed Retin-A® It was a breakthrough that demonstrated that acne could be treated topically. If the skin peeled enough – the acne impactions peeled out and acne improved. The same is true today – and there are several newer variants.

Benzoyl Peroxide cleansers and lotions

The benzoyl part of the molecule pulls the peroxide down into the pore – where it releases free radical oxygen – like your mother’s bleach. Nothing is resistant to this treatment – the bacteria, yeasts, spores and acne impactions are all cleared out of the pore with benzoyl peroxide.

The Acne pill Accutane®

It continues to be a great breakthrough. In spite of possible depression and birth defects – Accutane is a savior for severe cystic acne patients when the topical skin care regimens have not worked.

Avoid Stress

Get eight hours of sleep at night (not during the day) and eat a holistic diet, low in carbohydrates.

Ice Compresses

Dr. Fulton's Secret Sauce! Football players pack their knees in ice when the joint is injured. The same healing powers help heal acne impactions. Therefore you should ice the affected area, twice daily, for five minutes. The ice reduces the inflammation and opens up the skin so the acne skin care program works better.

Remember these acne tips

Recognize the problem

Avoid aggravating factors

Apply your skin care regimen

Find a good acne therapist

Willow, some of this stuff is accurate but a lot of it is NOT. Briefly, the glaring mistake that caught my eye was the comment about birth control being *exactly* like a pregnancy... I can tell you from years of experience with birth control pills that the effects DO NOT wear off after three months... Also, he says excessive oil causes clogged pores... NOT TRUE. You can have skin dry as a bone and still have acne...

Anyway, thanks for posting it, it was interesting. Just curious, who is this guy?

Willow, some of this stuff is accurate but a lot of it is NOT. Briefly, the glaring mistake that caught my eye was the comment about birth control being *exactly* like a pregnancy... I can tell you from years of experience with birth control pills that the effects DO NOT wear off after three months... Also, he says excessive oil causes clogged pores... NOT TRUE. You can have skin dry as a bone and still have acne...

Anyway, thanks for posting it, it was interesting. Just curious, who is this guy?

I think with the birth control - my interpretation of that is he's just trying to point out that the hormonal changes that cause acne during pregnancy can still cause acne due to the hormonal shifts while on the pill. I don't think he meant it was exactly like a pregnancy?

And as to the excessive oil - it can exacerbate acne - I don't think he said only oily skin is acne prone. Lots of things can lead to acne.

Anyway, he is the doctor who co-developed the original retin a and the topical benzoyl peroxide that is now used. He is a dermatologist and has a Ph.D. in chemistry. And has his own line of skin products.

I think with the birth control - my interpretation of that is he's just trying to point out that the hormonal changes that cause acne during pregnancy can still cause acne due to the hormonal shifts while on the pill. I don't think he meant it was exactly like a pregnancy?

And as to the excessive oil - it can exacerbate acne - I don't think he said only oily skin is acne prone. Lots of things can lead to acne.

Anyway, he is the doctor who co-developed the original retin a and the topical benzoyl peroxide that is now used. He is a dermatologist and has a Ph.D. in chemistry. And has his own line of skin products.

Okay, well maybe... but he's still putting some "spin" on the facts.

Avoid Stress

Get eight hours of sleep at night (not during the day) and eat a holistic diet, low in carbohydrates.

OK But earlier he says that acne is not due to certain foods. I'm confused. Here's the smilie to prove it :confused: