Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pixxiechixxie

Info about Vitamin C Serum

So I bought a Vitamin C serum from Kiss my Face and read last night that L ascorbic acid is the only form of Vitamin C which is effective in reducing red marks.

I emailed Kiss my Face because their product does not include L ascorbic acid. I will post my questions to the company as well as their response. I am very pleased and will continue to use their product!

My questions

I have a question about the Vitamin C serum. I just purchased it today and I definitely have to compliment the smell and the feel of it. Very light weight and definitely counteracts the bitter smell of the apple cider vinegar I use as a toner.

However, I read somewhere that L ascorbic acid is the only effective form of Vitamin C to use on the face, causing the highest amount of absorption.

I'm using Vitamin C serum to help reduce/eliminate red marks from acne and I am just curious what information you can give me about Ester C and Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, the forms of Vitamin C found in your Ester C Serum.

The company's response

Thanks for your interest in our products. In answer to your question, L ascorbic acid is not stable when used in an aqueous (water based) solution. This would include lotions and serums. Regular Vitamin C disappears on contact with air, water, heat and light. In addition, only highly concentrated preparations, 10% or more, deliver enough Vitamin C to the cells to be topically effective. This amount isn't found in any available facial care product that I know of.

Ester C is a stable form of Vitamin C that delivers the full benefit of this powerful antioxidant. It stimulates collagen production and rebuilds damaged skin.

Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate is a water soluable derivitive of Vitamin C and very stable. It is effective in much lower concentrations; concentrations that are much more likely to be found in available skin care products.

I think you'll find that our C The Change Serum works wonders- our customers rave about it! Please feel free to email me with any further questions or concerns you may have.Thanks a lot. Have a great day.

The information they gave you back is very vague... I did some quick learning and these are the questions I had:

1. When s/he says that "Regular Vitamin C disappears on contact with air, water, heat and light," s/he is semi-correct... however, "disappears" is inaccurate... rather ascorbic acid reacts with oxygen and is easily oxidized... heat and light increase the speed of that reaction. Wouldn't this effect be minimized if it were stored in a dark container and refrigerated?

2. "L ascorbic acid is not stable when used in an aqueous (water based) solution..." reactive, yes, stable, maybe not. But ascorbic acid is water-soluble, isn't it? If that were true then why can you store lemon juice?

3. I couldn't find what "Ester C" is... the only two close things I could find were the ester of cinnamic acid (produces cinnamon scent) and carboxylate esters... both of which are volatile in solution and as liquids... (and NOT antioxidants) so perhaps this person could clarify exactly what "Ester C" is? If they mean the ester of ascorbic acid, then maybe it's to make it more deliverable to fatty tissue?

4. Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate... it is a derivative of Vitamin C... (sort of... it's a salt) and I'm mystified as to why THIS ingredient wasn't referred to as the main antioxidant... It's a common preservative.

I hope this product works for you... it certainly looks like it has some good stuff, though I think lemon juice would be cheaper... I'm just confused by the explanation... but as I said, this was quick learning for me so it's bound to be flawed.