Notifications
Clear all

Evening Primrose Oil

MemberMember
(@mdp703)

Posted : 08/13/2006 11:34 am

Hi all,

I know people are posting with amazing cures all the time so I don't want to say that this is going to 'cure' everyone's acne and it is 'the' treatment for everyone. However, I do want to share my results b/c they've been a shock to me.

Just for a short background, I've had acne for 10 years tried everything. The only thing that ever worked was Diane 35. However, I react badly to bc pills so I had to quit and my acne came back worse than ever afterwards. I was almost at the point of doing another treatment of accutane when I read somewhere that evening primrose oil can regulate hormones and help with acne. I thought, well since I know that my accutane is related to hormones, I should try this....knowing that I've tried a million supplements before that were supposed to "cure" acne. So three weeks ago I started taking 500mg of evening primrose oil with 15 IU's of vitamin E every day. (I also take a multivitamin and Vitamin A everyday). I figured it's probably not going to work so I start scheduling my appointments to get myself accutane.

Three weeks later and I can't believe it. My skin is clearing. Right now I only have 2 active pimples. The rest of my face is clearing (no active acne, just scars slowly fading). I can't believe this. I've tried everything and this thing I decided to just throw in for kicks is actually working.

I don't know that this is going to work for everyone since I know my acne is hormone related, but if your acne is related to hormones i would suggest adding this to your supplements. It's great b/c you don't have to change your regiment at all.

Good luck to anyone else who tries evening primrose oil.

MemberMember
(@jbhk)

Posted : 08/13/2006 11:59 am

Hi all,

I know people are posting with amazing cures all the time so I don't want to say that this is going to 'cure' everyone's acne and it is 'the' treatment for everyone. However, I do want to share my results b/c they've been a shock to me.

Just for a short background, I've had acne for 10 years tried everything. The only thing that ever worked was Diane 35. However, I react badly to bc pills so I had to quit and my acne came back worse than ever afterwards. I was almost at the point of doing another treatment of accutane when I read somewhere that evening primrose oil can regulate hormones and help with acne. I thought, well since I know that my accutane is related to hormones, I should try this....knowing that I've tried a million supplements before that were supposed to "cure" acne. So three weeks ago I started taking 500mg of evening primrose oil with 15 IU's of vitamin E every day. (I also take a multivitamin and Vitamin A everyday). I figured it's probably not going to work so I start scheduling my appointments to get myself accutane.

Three weeks later and I can't believe it. My skin is clearing. Right now I only have 2 active pimples. The rest of my face is clearing (no active acne, just scars slowly fading). I can't believe this. I've tried everything and this thing I decided to just throw in for kicks is actually working.

I don't know that this is going to work for everyone since I know my acne is hormone related, but if your acne is related to hormones i would suggest adding this to your supplements. It's great b/c you don't have to change your regiment at all.

Good luck to anyone else who tries evening primrose oil.

How did you know your acne was hormone related - did you get it tested or was it because the Diane worked for you?

I heard that Agnus Castus is also a very good supplement for balancing hormones.

MemberMember
(@mdp703)

Posted : 08/13/2006 3:15 pm

Good question. Yeah, I guess I don't really know. I assume it is because the Diane worked so well. The reason I don't take Diane anymore is because I have endometriosis and for some odd reason the Diane makes it worse.

I tried taking Agnus Castus (chasteberry) after a recommendation by a heomeopathic doctor. However, i reacted really bad to it (probably b/c of my endometriosis), so I quit taking it. I was sick with cramps and stomach problems for about a month. I believe the evening primrose oil might have a similar function as the chasteberry, but I don't seem to react to it as bad. I get a little stomach upsetness, but it's not really bad, so it's worth it for me.

MemberMember
(@thetruthtoacne)

Posted : 08/13/2006 4:55 pm

yes it will work for everyone this is old news primose and borage oil both have gla which balances horomones and aids digestion, ive posted this numerous times people dont wanna listen. GLA alone wont cure ur acne but combined with good diet and sleep ur on ur way to clear skin, If u eat healthy enough and avoid garbage ur body will begin to make gla on its own like its suppose to. Eveyrone who has acne needs gla cause there prostagland pathway is currently blocked due to poor diet for years and years. It all boils down to prostaglands.

MemberMember
(@jbhk)

Posted : 08/13/2006 8:02 pm

Good question. Yeah, I guess I don't really know. I assume it is because the Diane worked so well. The reason I don't take Diane anymore is because I have endometriosis and for some odd reason the Diane makes it worse.

I tried taking Agnus Castus (chasteberry) after a recommendation by a heomeopathic doctor. However, i reacted really bad to it (probably b/c of my endometriosis), so I quit taking it. I was sick with cramps and stomach problems for about a month. I believe the evening primrose oil might have a similar function as the chasteberry, but I don't seem to react to it as bad. I get a little stomach upsetness, but it's not really bad, so it's worth it for me.

OK - Glad its working for you. I took Diane for a number of years and it worked OK, but when I stopped taking it the acne came back worse than ever. I got my hormones tested and the results came back normal. Doc said that sometimes the problem isn't the hormones themselves, just an abnormal reaction to normal hormone levels. Its all very confusing!!

mes6890 liked
MemberMember
(@mdp703)

Posted : 08/14/2006 12:54 am

JBHK - It sounds like your situation might be somewhat similar to mine. You may want to try primrose oil as well. If you do, let me know how it goes.

THETRUTHTOACNE - I appreciate everyone's opinion, but there's no need for you to be rude on the messageboard. Everyone is here looking for help, not for impolite, arrogant responses.

MemberMember
(@jbhk)

Posted : 08/14/2006 1:27 am

JBHK - It sounds like your situation might be somewhat similar to mine. You may want to try primrose oil as well. If you do, let me know how it goes.

THETRUTHTOACNE - I appreciate everyone's opinion, but there's no need for you to be rude on the messageboard. Everyone is here looking for help, not for impolite, arrogant responses.

MemberMember
(@handsbella)

Posted : 08/14/2006 4:36 am

I have been taking EPO for 3 years, I didnt see its effect in preventing breakouts.

Just wonder what I did wrong here? Is it related to the EPO brand? or the dosage?

I am taking Kordel or BioLife EPO, two capsules (each 1000mg) daily.

MemberMember
(@mdp703)

Posted : 08/14/2006 10:23 am

Handsbella - I'm not sure. Like I said in my original post, I don't claim this is a cure all for everyone. I just happened to have a great response to it.

Some thoughts I have are:

Do you take it with food, b/c I was told that's important?

Also, maybe your acne is not hormone related?

It's not that I still don't have a breakout at all, b/c I do have a couple small pimples. However, in comparison to before taking EPO, my face is much much better. And I still use all the products I was using before, like BP and Tazorac.

MemberMember
(@handsbella)

Posted : 08/15/2006 4:34 am

Handsbella - I'm not sure. Like I said in my original post, I don't claim this is a cure all for everyone. I just happened to have a great response to it.

Some thoughts I have are:

Do you take it with food, b/c I was told that's important?

Also, maybe your acne is not hormone related?

It's not that I still don't have a breakout at all, b/c I do have a couple small pimples. However, in comparison to before taking EPO, my face is much much better. And I still use all the products I was using before, like BP and Tazorac.

Hi, Mdp703, oh yes, I understand your feeling, we just share what we experienced. You did give me great info, thanks.

take it with food? What you mean? Do you mean it is better to take the EPO capsules after meal?

Oh, you mean EPO is for hormone-related acne? If yes, no wonder it didnt work for me as I am nearly sure that mine is caused by diet or liver

MemberMember
(@mdp703)

Posted : 08/15/2006 3:31 pm

yes, take with food. I think you can take oils without meals and they absorb well, but I was still told it is better to take after a meal.

Reading online, it appears to me that the way EPO works for acne is by regulating hormones that affect acne. From what I've read, my guess is that it only works for those whose acne is hormone related. I'm not an expert though, so don't quote me. :)

Even though it's only been a couple of days since I posted, I am thoroughly disappointed. My acne is still much better from the EPO, but now my stomach problems are worse and it looks like I am going to have to quit taking it. There are times when I say my skin is more important than the rest of my health, but when I'm sick to my stomach 3 days in a row, i realize having a healthy, almost-normal life might be more important. If anyone else has had this reaction to EPO, please let me know. I fear I'm just an oddball. :(

MemberMember
(@pmezak)

Posted : 08/15/2006 5:18 pm

yes, take with food. I think you can take oils without meals and they absorb well, but I was still told it is better to take after a meal.

Reading online, it appears to me that the way EPO works for acne is by regulating hormones that affect acne. From what I've read, my guess is that it only works for those whose acne is hormone related. I'm not an expert though, so don't quote me. :)

Even though it's only been a couple of days since I posted, I am thoroughly disappointed. My acne is still much better from the EPO, but now my stomach problems are worse and it looks like I am going to have to quit taking it. There are times when I say my skin is more important than the rest of my health, but when I'm sick to my stomach 3 days in a row, i realize having a healthy, almost-normal life might be more important. If anyone else has had this reaction to EPO, please let me know. I fear I'm just an oddball. :(

Mdp, what is your blood type? You may be able to take either borage oil or black currant seed oil instead of the epo, they also have gla in them. I follow the blood type diet, and certain oils bother certain people. I have been using black currant seed oil, not epo. Just started taking it again, so I'll post if it helps. Epo is an avoid for type O's, borage is an avoid for type B's, most can use black currant seed oil......

MemberMember
(@handsbella)

Posted : 08/15/2006 11:22 pm

HUH? Sorry I never know that EPO can cause harm to stomach....

MemberMember
(@mdp703)

Posted : 08/17/2006 7:49 am

pmezak - I have no clue what my blood type is, but maybe that will be something I look into. Thanks for the tip.

handsbella - I don't think that it causes harm to the stomach. For some people it just leads to some gastrointestinal side effects. I read it on line, but it seemed rare. I also have wonky reactions to anything that affects hormones. It's like with birth control, I get quite sick when I"m on it. Part of it is my endometriosis that it affects. The other part is that I get crampy and some stomach/bowel problems.

I think what I might do is go down to a lower dosage and see if I can manage to reduce the side effects. I just can't imagine going off of EPO when it's been amazing and reducing my acne.

MemberMember
(@mdp703)

Posted : 08/18/2006 11:21 pm

I thought I'd post an update since I stopped taking the EPO. I've only quit taking it for 4 days and my acne has come back full force today.....extremely quickly. This is so awful. I wish I could take the EPO. :(

MemberMember
(@starrybabe21)

Posted : 08/19/2006 9:28 am

I thought I'd post an update since I stopped taking the EPO. I've only quit taking it for 4 days and my acne has come back full force today.....extremely quickly. This is so awful. I wish I could take the EPO. :(

Aww thats awful

Ive started taking it too, 3000mg daily - it says take up to 4000mg but im not. Im REALLY sorry to here you had to stop I know what it feels to find something thats working and then have to stop it

Can i ask though how bad is/was your acne, do you have cysts?? Did the EPO help with clogged pores??

Feel better soon and I hope you find something that helps

MemberMember
(@mdp703)

Posted : 08/19/2006 5:59 pm

Hi starrybabe,

How long have you been taking EPO? Has it worked for you?

My acne is sort of hard to explain. I think it would be classified as moderate. I don't have cysts. I have what my derm calls superficial acne. I have small red pimples and some whiteheads. However, I have them covering my face. My derm is perplexed b/c he thinks it's so superficial that some microdermabrasions should take care of it....except they didn't.

To answer your question about helping with clogged pores, since my acne is superficial, my derm says my pores get clogged really close to the surface, so when the EPO is working, I guess it is helping unclog pores. However, I know EPO works through hormones, so I'm not sure if that really is what it's doing.

Wish I could give a better answer.

MemberMember
(@starrybabe21)

Posted : 08/21/2006 6:05 am

Hi starrybabe,

How long have you been taking EPO? Has it worked for you?

My acne is sort of hard to explain. I think it would be classified as moderate. I don't have cysts. I have what my derm calls superficial acne. I have small red pimples and some whiteheads. However, I have them covering my face. My derm is perplexed b/c he thinks it's so superficial that some microdermabrasions should take care of it....except they didn't.

To answer your question about helping with clogged pores, since my acne is superficial, my derm says my pores get clogged really close to the surface, so when the EPO is working, I guess it is helping unclog pores. However, I know EPO works through hormones, so I'm not sure if that really is what it's doing.

Wish I could give a better answer.

I know it sounds stupid but HUGE clearing it past 3 days, all i have left is like 3 marks on each cheek and tiny comedonal acne at each side of my face - you can only see it in a certain light :)

My forehead is clear - could be down to putting sudocrem on at night - thin layer helps dry spots :)

Your acne seems similar to mine, i get like 2-3 pustales that take ages to heal and i have loads of whiteheads, i think the EPO is fantastic though - i really hope you find something to replace it for you

Your answer was brilliant actually and very honest - i really appreciate it!

Thanks for the tip to use EPO

Gud look with the future Hold your head high coz it seems like you have a really nice personality :D

MemberMember
(@mattaus)

Posted : 08/21/2006 9:53 am

I know it sounds stupid but HUGE clearing it past 3 days, all i have left is like 3 marks on each cheek and tiny comedonal acne at each side of my face - you can only see it in a certain light :)

My forehead is clear - could be down to putting sudocrem on at night - thin layer helps dry spots :)

hey starrybabe are you still on the apple cider vinegar with the epo? - any particular type of epo?

MemberMember
(@starrybabe21)

Posted : 08/21/2006 11:00 am

hey starrybabe are you still on the apple cider vinegar with the epo? - any particular type of epo?

Hey mattaus,

No I stopped taking the apple cider vinegar because the taste became too much and wasnt agreeing with me. I was also worried about my teeth.

I started taking EPO to see if it was my hormones that were affected because it seemed i fit the bill for a person with "excess androgens" in there body - and the ACV wouldnt really have done much for me in the long run.

The evening primrose im on is called SONA - i bought it because it was on special basically, and its cold pressed evening primrose which is supposed to be better. This is the link of who makes it :)

I was originally on starflower but they were only 500mg, and the max amount i took was 2 a day, giving me a measly 1000mg ( I know get that much in one capsule of EPO)

I take 3000mg a day, first i take two in the morning AFTER eating and then i take on later on in the evening AFTER eating. It says take 2 twice a day, but I for money sake and the fact i dont think i'll need that much i just take 3000mg.

Another thing i've been looking into is gluten foods which im trying to avoid, ive since found out that since EPO is an anti-inflammatory herb/weed that it will helf reduce any allergens you have. I'm planning on taking it for 3 months and least and if i see no difference ill higher the dosage to 4000mg for another 3 months, if i see a difference, which i think i will :) im going to lower the dosage to a "maintenance" one.

I hope I've cleared up any questions you have, sorry for the long post!

Starry

EDIT** i also found this ...

Functions

Were it not for the substantial body of scientific evidence backing the extraordinary therapeutic range of the oil extracted from this plant, the claims made on its behalf would seem exaggerated.

The oil of the Evening Primrose seed is a rich source of cis-g-linolenic acid (GLA). GLA is a precursor of a hormone like substance called PGE1 which has a wide range of beneficial effects in the body.

Those with premenstrual syndrome, diabetes and eczema, can have a metabolic block that interferes with the bodyžs ability to make GLA. Many people in Western societies may be at least partially GLA deficient as a result of aging, glucose intolerance (many people with acne are thought to have at least some glucose intolerence), dietary fat intake , and other problems.

RDA

* No RDA Established

Parts Used

Oil from the seed.

Constituents

70% cis-linolenic acid and 6-8% cis-g-linolenic acid (GLA). Cold

pressed oil from higher quality crops could yield 10-11% GLA.

Are there any precautions, interactions or side effects?

GRAS - Generally recognised as safe. No adverse reactions, side effects or overdose symptoms expected when taken within the recommended amounts.

Consistent, reproducible problems from taking evening primrose oil have not been reported. However, rare instances of side effects of headache, skin rashes and nausea have been reported.

Other nutrients are needed by the body, along with evening primrose oil, to make PGE. Consequently, some experts suggest that magnesium, zinc, vitamin C, niacin, and vitamin B6 should be taken along with evening primrose oil.

Use for epileptics is not recommended.

MemberMember
(@asher2)

Posted : 08/21/2006 6:10 pm

Why not try borage or the other gla oils?

MemberMember
(@starrybabe21)

Posted : 08/30/2006 11:05 am

Click Here

Hey everyone ...a link on Essential Fatty Acids and Acne...

basically some one who got results with it :D

MemberMember
(@knowshow)

Posted : 09/01/2006 8:36 am

yes it will work for everyone this is old news primose and borage oil both have gla which balances horomones and aids digestion, ive posted this numerous times people dont wanna listen. GLA alone wont cure ur acne but combined with good diet and sleep ur on ur way to clear skin, If u eat healthy enough and avoid garbage ur body will begin to make gla on its own like its suppose to. Eveyrone who has acne needs gla cause there prostagland pathway is currently blocked due to poor diet for years and years. It all boils down to prostaglands.

would saw palmetto help this ..

MemberMember
(@shake-off-the-dust-arise)

Posted : 09/03/2006 11:28 pm

Is EPO good for males like who have Hromonal Acne?

Im 17 Male ???

???

MemberMember
(@amethystgrl)

Posted : 09/07/2006 11:48 pm

Hi everyone. Another endo sufferer here. I see that another with endo is taking Evening Prim Rose (I hope I got that right).

I've never taken anything like this. Where would I get it (health food store?) and is it ok to take with birth control pills? I'm currently on them for my endo as well as acne, although it hasn't effected the acne at all.

I just don't want to take anything that may make my endometriosis worse as it is so bad that when I have my pain attacks I usually pass out.

I should add that I do believe that my acne is because of hormones. I never had it until after completing Lupron & BC Pill treatments for my endo. Which both effect your hormones.