Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SaveMe

Which retiniod is best in your opinion?

Hi, so im off off a accutane for over a month now, starting to get some little pimples again. I was wondering which retinoid would be best for me to start using? Dryness I can deal with, i just need results/

I want to start while im still someaht clear so I don't have a massive break out.

Thanks

All I can say is that Differin didn't do much of anything for me pre-Tane and Retin-A Micro (RAM) seems to be working very well for me post-Tane. My derm is of the opinion that RAM is much more effective than Differin and I'd tend to agree. The RAM causes me to peel mildly, which is a sign to me that it's working. Differin never produced any effect at all on my skin, so I felt like I was applying NOTHING!

Of course, everyone is different, but that was my experience.

P&W

yeah i agree retin a micro is better its stronger then differin i think it goes differin, retin a micro and tazorac in how strong it is.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

There are also alot of Retinol products that aren't prescription. Diacneal, Green Cream, Factor-A Plus etc.

They can quite often give great results with alot less irritation and other side effects. Prescription Retinoids tend to be very unstable.

I'm having very good results with Retin-A Micro. The 0.1% cleared my cystic bacne a few years ago and now I'm trying the 0.04% on my face. Three weeks in and everything seems to be on schedule, with very minimal dryness and peeling. Differin didn't do anything for my face... it was like I was putting water on my skin. As for prescription retinoids being more unstable, yes, that's true... (though, "more reactive" would probably have been more accurate) however that also means they're more *consistently* effective... and they're not nearly as unstable as, say, benzoyl peroxide and other bleaches.

Hi, so im off off a accutane for over a month now, starting to get some little pimples again. I was wondering which retinoid would be best for me to start using? Dryness I can deal with, i just need results/

I want to start while im still someaht clear so I don't have a massive break out.

Thanks

In your situation, either a low-concentration Retin A gel (avoid the cream formulation) or an OTC product such as Green Cream, Diacneal, Vivant Exfol-A, etc.

The OTC products are effective but expensive; depending on your insurance, it may be cheaper for you to get Retin A. Just be sure it's a low-concentration Retin A, at least to start with ... it's probably all you need to maintain your skin post-Accutane, and you'll avoid the irritation of the stronger formulations.

You can always move to a stronger product if you really need it, but with retinoids, less is frequently more!

I like isotrexin (or sotret), which basically is a topical accutane. It has worked beautifully for me, treating post-accutane breakouts.

Retin A Micro

Agreed. More well tolerated than Retin-A, more effective than Differin, not as strong as Tazorac.