Notifications
Clear all

Has Anyone Grown After Accutane?

MemberMember
(@accutanemom)

Posted : 08/12/2006 2:42 pm

I have been unable to find any studies done -- just anecdotal stories. Input from anyone who has taken Accutane would be extremely useful. Has anyone actually gotten taller after taking Accutane?

MemberMember
(@accutanemom)

Posted : 08/12/2006 8:25 pm

No responses yet -- does that mean that no one knows anyone who has continued to grow post-Accutane? I'd like to hear people's stories either way. Also, does anyone know whether this has been formally studied? Thanks so much.

MemberMember
(@jbhk)

Posted : 08/12/2006 11:10 pm

Apologies in advance - this isn't going to be a particularly helpful but given your request for responses, I will give it anyway :)

I haven't heard too much about Accutane stunting growth. It isn't a side effect that gets mentioned very often so it leads me to believe that it isn't a real concern because there is a trend amongst some Accutane users to blame the drug for every medical problem they experience for years after having taken it. The only thing I heard was a while ago - a couple of months maybe - one poster created a thread where he said that he stopped growing or someone he knew stopped growing after accutane. Unfortunately I cant remember the name of the poster, but you could try doing a search for it.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@hanzuno)

Posted : 08/13/2006 12:21 am

i'm not sure, but i already stopped growing before i took accutane

MemberMember
(@beentheredonethat)

Posted : 08/15/2006 2:21 pm

There are no formal studies on this particular phenomenon, just some rare anecdotal reports of premature growth plate closure. I took it for the first time at 15 or so but i had already reached my full height. My derm made me wait a couple years before starting just to make sure i was done growing.

MemberMember
(@accutanemom)

Posted : 08/17/2006 3:57 pm

This is making me very nervous. Of all the people reading this, no one knows ANYONE whom has grown after taking accutane? I did go back and check the past thread, and there was one person who said he had grown. That's good, but please still respond if you have any input. Thanks so much.

MemberMember
(@09rules)

Posted : 08/17/2006 3:59 pm

This is making me very nervous. Of all the people reading this, no one knows ANYONE whom has grown after taking accutane? I did go back and check the past thread, and there was one person who said he had grown. That's good, but please still respond if you have any input. Thanks so much.

What is the age/sex of your child?

MemberMember
(@accutanemom)

Posted : 08/20/2006 5:59 pm

Thirteen year old boy.

MemberMember
(@09rules)

Posted : 08/20/2006 8:50 pm

Thirteen year old boy.

Then is Accutane the last option he has? Might want to hold off and try something else first, unless you've exhausted ALL options (and have used them exactly according to label for at least 12 weeks). If it's a concern, then don't do it. He can try Accutane in a few years if nothing works... besides, if you use it now, and it stunts his growth, you've also got a higher risk of the acne coming back... I'd be pissed if I went on Accutane and stopped growing, and then my acne came back in a few years. That would suck.

MemberMember
(@bob-smith)

Posted : 08/20/2006 9:48 pm

A couple of my friends took accutane in middle school (at about age 13 - 8th grade). I still go to the same high school as them, and they definetly have grown. No personal experience b/c I have just started and am finished growing.

MemberMember
(@chemicalcakes)

Posted : 08/20/2006 10:20 pm

Ohmygod! I didn't even make that connection. I thought I was just finished growing. It's all making sense now. How both of my parents are tall and I'm the small one. Accutane stunted my growth. Haha.

MemberMember
(@jbhk)

Posted : 08/20/2006 10:29 pm

I think the responses you are getting suggest that people don't know much about the subject, rather than people don't know anyone that has grown after taking accutane. For example, I 'know' 3 people who I know have taken accutane. None of those people were teens and therefore it is impossible for me to give a view one way or the other as to wether it stunted their growth. If you are concerned - do as Shmelis suggested and try other remedies.

MemberMember
(@2worriedmom)

Posted : 09/12/2006 9:47 am

Hi!

I have sent you a message but not sure that you received it...I too have a young, nearly 13 year old who just started accutane...we did minocycline, doxy, eurithromycin, tazorac,...not happy. I hate to see his entire school aged years as marred by acne. He was so happy to finally start accutane. BUT, the growth thing has my obsessed with searching for more info. I am trying to get a prescription for bone xrays monthly but have not heard back from the doctor. I discussed this at length with the derm and was told that this issue is being looked at for those on multiple courses at higher doses than my son, but then I read other things on the internet...where are you at on this whole issue?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@angelis)

Posted : 09/12/2006 4:08 pm

Stunted growth isn't even listed as a side-effect, nor could I even see a connection.

It stops your sebacious glands from making oil, people...That's it. I have no idea how you could even begin to think it'd stunt growth.

MemberMember
(@brendan_192)

Posted : 09/12/2006 4:32 pm

i took accutane when i was 17. my dady is 6'3 my younger brother (hes now 17) is 6'5 all my unldes are 6'2 and over. one is 6'8

im 5'11

but im prety sure i stnted my growth from lifting weights way to much and much heavier than what i should of been doing.

dont try and blame every medical problem on accutane.

MemberMember
(@kira)

Posted : 09/12/2006 4:56 pm

People are talking about it because there is some risk of premature growth plate closure from accutane... the growth plates are the areas in your bones where active bone is being formed (where the bones get longer from). So it is a real issue for teenagers who haven't finished growing (and their parents) to consider before starting treatment.

I don't know the actual rates of premature growth plate closure, or any of the studies, but a great place to look for that kind of stuff is PubMed (journal articles, abstracts, etc). A lot of the articles are available online in full text, and you can usually get the gist of an article just reading the abstract if the full text isn't available.

And, sorry, I don't have any personal connections with people who took accutane during their "growing years", so I can't answer the question one way or another...

Best, Kira

MemberMember
(@2worriedmom)

Posted : 09/12/2006 7:39 pm

People are talking about it because there is some risk of premature growth plate closure from accutane... the growth plates are the areas in your bones where active bone is being formed (where the bones get longer from). So it is a real issue for teenagers who haven't finished growing (and their parents) to consider before starting treatment.

I don't know the actual rates of premature growth plate closure, or any of the studies, but a great place to look for that kind of stuff is PubMed (journal articles, abstracts, etc). A lot of the articles are available online in full text, and you can usually get the gist of an article just reading the abstract if the full text isn't available.

And, sorry, I don't have any personal connections with people who took accutane during their "growing years", so I can't answer the question one way or another...

Best, Kira

thanks Kira...I will check out pubmed...there is a mom on Medhelp.org that stated that her son had some growth plate closure problems so that is why this is an issue...would appreciate hearing from anyone who has grown AFTER completion of accutane course...also anyone who had taken it at age 13.

Thanks so much

MemberMember
(@beentheredonethat)

Posted : 09/13/2006 8:10 am

Stunted growth isn't even listed as a side-effect, nor could I even see a connection.

It stops your sebacious glands from making oil, people...That's it. I have no idea how you could even begin to think it'd stunt growth.

Yes it is - it's called premature ephysial growth plate closure in the pamphlet. Once the growth plates in the bones close, you don't grow anymore. Accutane does a whole lot more than stop oil production.

This particular effect has not been quantified and reports are anecdotal, but given Accutane's known effects on the skeletal system it is likely that it was the cause.

MemberMember
(@kiwi-rabbit)

Posted : 09/13/2006 12:33 pm

u know i was very concerned about whether i'd stop going but accutane realy is the last option for me. it was either risk not growing a bit more or loose my mind and shoot myself or something distressing like that.

i meant to ask my dermatologist but i forgot :( i was just so happy to start my course.

the reason i was concerned it will stop growing is because it supresses certain hormones, and they dont come back(thats how it effects seabacious glands) especialy one called androgen. thing is that's a male hormone and i figured i wudnt miss much of the opposite sexes hormone. but if i stop growing taller and my breats and stuff stop growing i'll be very mad. i was told i wud grow an extra few inches and my breasts and stuff were going to continue growing; if accutane stunts that i will be upset.

btw im 15. ASK UR DERM ABOUT IT and then post it here, cos im sure other ppl will be intersted(including me!)

MemberMember
(@vallartagal)

Posted : 09/13/2006 12:36 pm

My son is 16, took Accutane just two months when he had to stop becuase his liver couldn't take it.

He's 6'5" and grew 1 cm. during the treatment.

MemberMember
(@2worriedmom)

Posted : 09/13/2006 5:55 pm

vallartagal...what did your son do to treat his acne after he stopped the accutane? did he have success with another treatment?

what age was he when he started the accutane? How tall was he when he started the accutane? I am hoping to hear that he had some significant growth after he stopped taking it even though he only took it for two months.

thanks!

MemberMember
(@vallartagal)

Posted : 09/13/2006 5:59 pm

vallartagal...what did your son do to treat his acne after he stopped the accutane? did he have success with another treatment?

what age was he when he started the accutane? How tall was he when he started the accutane? I am hoping to hear that he had some significant growth after he stopped taking it even though he only took it for two months.

thanks!

Sorry, I don't think I'm going to be much help to you. Danny just stopped his Accutane yesterday, after the blood tests came back bad for his liver. But he grew half an inch during those two months he was on the medicine. Being that he's 6'5", we don't expect him to grow TOO much more, but who knows - I'm 6'2" myself. I don't think it's affected him that way.

MemberMember
(@2worriedmom)

Posted : 09/13/2006 6:04 pm

Thank you...yeah, at 6'5'' I wouldn't think growth would top your list of worries!...my son is much younger and much shorter, but I know the answer is out there somewhere!...I just gotta keep looking!

MemberMember
(@vallartagal)

Posted : 09/13/2006 6:07 pm

Thank you...yeah, at 6'5'' I wouldn't think growth would top your list of worries!...my son is much younger and much shorter, but I know the answer is out there somewhere!...I just gotta keep looking!

Best of luck to you in your search.

MemberMember
(@jamess)

Posted : 09/13/2006 8:44 pm

Stunted growth is the most important problem to me with tane. After all, you just have to see what it does to your healing.