Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spiral_pop

FINALY! i'll post MY progress!!!

So, i'll first start off telling u a little about my skin history.... i've been having skin issues since i was 12, it would go from mild to moderate for about 5 years, id taken almost all antibiotics....not ever really getting control of my skin. My acne flared up the worst my senior year, see, i was naieve and stupid...so i started the depo shot.god, did it tear up my poor face :cry:! i've been off it for a year now, and since have been trying to really kick acnes ass!

Currently, im taking ampacillin to control cysts and break outs in general..i was accidently not taking enough so i just started taking the full amount like a week ago, so my results should be even better!! and as for creams, im using duac in the morning, and tazorac at night. i've been using them for 10 weeks now. after the initial breakout, (that i think i had) and the incredibly flaky face, my skin was looking SO much better. I was still breaking out, but the clairity of my skin where it was clear, was amazing! its wonderful for facial redness, and scaring, at least on my face. im not sure what the duac was doing, maybe tighting my pores? .

But a weekago, i had an appointment with my derm, who reccomended blulight levulan. this is supposed to control oil, and shut down ur sebacous glands(just like accutane) with a good precentage who have long term results. i remember he reccomended it to me a year ago, when i decided to do clearlight(did not work whatsoever, probably cuz i was still strong on depo.) he reccomended 4 treatments and told me hes had nothing but great results. I hadd to do it. what else did i have to lose, accutane? nuh uh, im cool off it

In conclusion, i had my treatment yesterday around 4:30, im supposed to stay outta sunlight for 48 hours, and slather on the spf 30.. i was told i would have a bright red swollen face for 72 hours, a little scabbing and a little flakyness... and that is exactly whats happening to me! so im happy! why? because everything that happened to the people it had amazing results on, is happening to me, without the blisters that could "possibly" happen...not only that! but my scars are dissapearing before my eyes..

Its been 1 week since my levulan treatment, and i love it! i am seriously for the first time in my life starting to see results! for the few days after treatment i was a little nervous about what was happening to my face..it cracked horribly, and my pores looked extra huge! i was confused, but refused to give up faith. my face was swollen and red and burning for the first 2 days, then the craking and flakyness happened. then i woke up one morning and it was all gone! just really smooth clearer skin! i broke out a little after the treatment. a little less then normal which is good. since i still have 3 treatments to go. plus now i know what to expect. but as for today, my skin has looked amazing. also i started using tazorac and duac a couple 4 nights, and every morning have woken up with better results! im soo happy!

keep up the great progress!! im always weary when my derm suggests procedures he does. if he suggested bluelight, i would have been racking my brain for alterior motives for his suggestion--mainly money. keep us posted!

keep up the great progress!! im always weary when my derm suggests procedures he does. if he suggested bluelight, i would have been racking my brain for alterior motives for his suggestion--mainly money. keep us posted!

yeah..i totaly agree with you there cuz when i did clearlight, it was expensive plus didnt do anything i guess im just generaly a postivie person, i agreed to levuan...thank you dad, whos paying for it... and i guess my skins at the right place (since it changees every few years)

um wait..i lied....last night i broke out in 2...not cystic thank god. so i slatherd on the bp, and duac and went about my buissness...theyre lessening i can see. but i hope they dont scar and add to the scaring my tazorac is curing?! not only that. but its my fault i broke out.. i think i washed my face way too early before bed, and my face got oily. and i probably touched my face not knowingly....

damnit!!! i broke out this morning, and today while i was shopping?! 4 new ones..not cysitc..i just hope they dont scar!! pray for me! all along my left jaw line..like always...maybey i'll just make it a big point to ask my derm to MAKE sure he gets lots and lots of levulan there. since that seems to be the only of my face to break out now *cross my fingers*

my 2nd levulan/blu-light, is on the 9th..and im getting antsy. my derm told me i wouldnt see improvements on the first treatment, which i swear i did. i broke out still, but my skin just looked allaround better. so im hoping the 2nd treatment will make it even clearer,plus lessen my breakouts. im dong a series of 4. i feel like since ive been using tazorac and duac or bp, my skin has been improving. slowly tho. 2 steps forward and then 1 step back. hopefuly it will all work out in the end tho.

Its been 5 hours simce my 2nd out of 4 levulan blu light treatments. first i'll recap.also i tend to get impatient and forget my derm says no results until 2nd or 3rd treatment.

my down time was about 4 days. the redness, swelling, scabing and flaking was completely done by day 4. the 1st week after treatment, i looked pretty damn good. i stayed inside mostly cuz i didnt want to wear makeup and ruin my fresh skin(a couple layers of skin, of where i broke out, scabed and peeled off) the 2nd week i started my period and it ruined everything.. jesus, i have no idea what happened. i was clear one day then for the next 2 weeks i broke out continuously. then randomly, for a couple days before my 2nd levulan appointment i made it a point to drink lots and lots of water.. maybe 11 glasses a day and i noticed a huge difference in my skin for those days.. so i decided on that too. flushing my system with tons of water. im picking up some evening primrose since i heard its good at balanceing hormones which is obviously a factor. funny tho. im on ortho bc and yet my skins not improving from that especialy during the begining of my cycle. ohh plus im going to start steaming my face again once my skin gets back to normal :)

also i would like to add an observation from reading many many threads of people having done levulan and got no, if not bad results . i read people who had gotten lots of whiteheads right after or later after the treatments. im not sure if they used to get whiteheads before treatments, but it seems that thats their main complaint. well i never brake out in shallow whiteheads, only small deep cysts that take 2 days to go away. not even after levulan. so im hoping my results will be okay...

Its been 5 hours simce my 2nd out of 4 levulan blu light treatments. first i'll recap.also i tend to get impatient and forget my derm says no results until 2nd or 3rd treatment.

my down time was about 4 days. the redness, swelling, scabing and flaking was completely done by day 4. the 1st week after treatment, i looked pretty damn good. i stayed inside mostly cuz i didnt want to wear makeup and ruin my fresh skin(a couple layers of skin, of where i broke out, scabed and peeled off) the 2nd week i started my period and it ruined everything.. jesus, i have no idea what happened. i was clear one day then for the next 2 weeks i broke out continuously. then randomly, for a couple days before my 2nd levulan appointment i made it a point to drink lots and lots of water.. maybe 11 glasses a day and i noticed a huge difference in my skin for those days.. so i decided on that too. flushing my system with tons of water. im picking up some evening primrose since i heard its good at balanceing hormones which is obviously a factor. funny tho. im on ortho bc and yet my skins not improving from that especialy during the begining of my cycle. ohh plus im going to start steaming my face again once my skin gets back to normal :)

also i would like to add an observation from reading many many threads of people having done levulan and got no, if not bad results . i read people who had gotten lots of whiteheads right after or later after the treatments. im not sure if they used to get whiteheads before treatments, but it seems that thats their main complaint. well i never brake out in shallow whiteheads, only small deep cysts that take 2 days to go away. not even after levulan. so im hoping that i'll maybe see better results since my skin seems to be different.

Great post-very detailed! One thing I was going to mention to you was about Ortho TC. I was using that for over 2 years and little did I know-it was making my breakouts worse. So-I've switched to Yasmin and so far I've noticed a difference. It's only my second month on it-but I like it a lot better than OTC. Yasmin has a small dosage of Spiro in it-so that helps with the hormones. Good Luck with your Regimen!

Thanks! acutualy a couple years ago i did try yasmin out for maybe 2 months and i had a few big breakouts that month.that could have been a coincedecne but i didnt want to take a chance. And a couple days ago i added evening primrose to my regimen to see if that does the trick.

but also im very happy to say, my skin is looking amazing at the moment. no active acne for a few days now. just some red marks from before my treatment...so we'll see how it goes

SO.. this is nice! no breakouts STILL!!! tho i have horrible red marks.. and some shallow scaring. when levulan is done i will definiltly be investing in some microdermabrasion! but all in all. havent broken out in over a week! YAY! im actualy not sure what could be the cause of this clearing?

* maybe its because i dont hold the phone to my face anymore?only speakerphone

*lots of water?

*evening primrose?

* my tazorac?

*the ampacillin finaly taking major effect?

* or my levulan treatments?

im hoping its the treatments for the sake of my parents money... but for the sake of MY money im gonna have to spend to upkeep my skin, im hoping its the supplements and water!

been almost 3 weeks since my last treatment... still no breakouts.. not even ONE!!! cant beleive it especially since one night i got a little inebreiated and couldnt wash my face before bed. and the next morning i didnt breakout.. my skin looked really good. *sigh* im scared this is going to end....cuz ive been on cloud 9 for the past 3 weeks. 2 treatments down, 2 more to go! plus microdermabrasion when im done!!

also, ha, i thing my glycolic toner dripped on my lips cuz now there flaking..shit

I had my third treatment 5 hours ago. the usual. i get so down about my skin sometimes, especialy when im around some of my close friends. my skin has definitly been improving, and one day i will be so happy and just super positive, but then my friends with literaly glowing perfect skin, come over, and i feel like absolute shit. and then things that never bothered me before start bother me after being around them. i know its not their fault. i wish i didnt feel this competitiveness.

But on a better feeling. i love my boyfriend. he makes me feel amazing. he has perfect skin, but is suprisingly sooo sensitive to everything im going through and knows exactly what to and what not to say. i actualy got with him when my skin was even worse, and got progressivly worse until 4 months ago when it started to clear a little. hes made me feel so comfortable that i move in with him and not think twice about him seeing me without makeup or when i wake up or whenever. that unconditional love is what i really needed.

im so happy for you. happy story here. :angel:

yes very nice story glad you have someone special support you through all this, it's very important

=) Glad it's working somewhat to, I thought about it, but it's too expensive atm

aww thanks! i feel its a nice story too! i like to think about the things that make me happiest when im down, and that usualy lifts me up! but to update my skin. ... its doing wonderful. just red marks and some scaring. but NO active acne. its the first time in my life (from what i can actualy remember) when i wash my face and feel no bumps or pain from active acne. its just sooo smooth an even textured

I too am doing duac in the morning and tazorac at night. I'm in my like 10th week now and I am noticing results, but nothing earth shattering.

So this bluelight thing...how many treatments are you supposed to do? Is the dryness/flaking/scabbing very noticeable in daylight? I'm considering doing some kind of treatment like that....but I want to make sure it's worth it before I take the plunge$$$$....:)

Has the laser impacted the size of your pores or any acne damage (pitting/scars etc)? How long do the effects last....long term or short??

Hey thanks for taking the time to read this, I would really appreciate your input. It's hard to know what to try because with all the stuff that's out there, you're bound to get ripped off sooner or later.

how much do these treatments cost? maybe if i get a relapse after accutane (knock on wood) i will try this. but, if it's a lot of money i'll probably just go back on accutane since it's covered by insurance.

they're pretty damn friggin expensive... 500$ a treatment, with 4 being recommended. im just so lucky my dad gets reimbursed through his company 100% for even those treatments..

I too am doing duac in the morning and tazorac at night. I'm in my like 10th week now and I am noticing results, but nothing earth shattering.

So this bluelight thing...how many treatments are you supposed to do? Is the dryness/flaking/scabbing very noticeable in daylight? I'm considering doing some kind of treatment like that....but I want to make sure it's worth it before I take the plunge$$$$....:)

Has the laser impacted the size of your pores or any acne damage (pitting/scars etc)? How long do the effects last....long term or short??

Hey thanks for taking the time to read this, I would really appreciate your input. It's hard to know what to try because with all the stuff that's out there, you're bound to get ripped off sooner or later.

Yes the flaking peeling is noticable in day light. its noticable in night time too! but really, i look at it as, similar to a glycolic peel, and its exfoliating your skin by peeling away at the top dead damaged layers and clearing out your pores. i feel great when its all done. it only lasts like a week. khonestly aftere only the first treatment i realy thought i might have got ripped off. but after the 2nd, i started seeing results.

Since ive been using tazorac for over 6 months ive noticed it thinned out my skin alot, so now i actualy see that i do have pitted scars and whatnot. but, the levulan dosnt really help with that. maybe read marks tho. my pores are a lot cleaner, so they are less noticeable and seem smaller, maybe they are? hmm. but what i mainly did was blast the hell outta my sebatious glands, so i dont break out nearly as much, just small clogged pores..

I need to Confess. I've been a bad bad bad girl.... i still havent broken out in a substatial "pimple" (maybe 2 little bumps here and there during my period) in over a month. i cant believe it. tho i feel as if i should be breaking out. cuz i havent been good about my regimen at all. for like the last 2 weeks, i have only been taking my morning supplemts, and not putting my tazorac on at night... im sooo bad... i think i have a couple small clogged pores, but i think they'll be gone tomorrow... but. i hope i didnt just screw my skin back up :( (yes, this morning i completely did my regemin, and will continue to do so.)

i had a small breakout of only 2 pimples last week... that was my first breakout in a long time, but rereading my previous post, i know exactly where it came from. from being lazy on my regemin...

So, my skins doing pretty wonderful, i am very happy, but i felt like i needed a little something else to help my skin heal a little faster. i have been using a glycolic acid toner to help loosen up dead skin to be sloughed away. but i found out it is only 3%... no wonder it was like water to put on... so i ordered neostratas ultra daytime smoothing cream, spf 15 glycolic acid 10% i will be replacing my toner in the mornings with this.. also, i picked up a mask by origins called clear imporvement. its charcoal, and is supposed to vacuum up the crap outta your pores.. i just really needed something to help clear my pores... so, yeah, lets see how my new products help

OFF i go to the derm for my follow up after all my treatments! yay! i cant wait to show him what an amazing job hes done!!! never been this excited to see my derm! :wacko:

This is why i trust my derm. so i make an appointment for my followup appointment, and for the past couple of weeks, ive been obssesing in my head about scar treatments (fraxel) , fillers(resteylin sp?), and such. so im prepared to demand options to quick fix my problems (no matter how expensive), but when i see him he gives me this great big smile, looks at my face a little and says, "WOW, you must be extatic about your results so far huh? everything is looking great, the progress is coming along nicely." and i just kinda sit their glowing and smiling :D and he says, well youre still using your tazorac correct? i tell him how 'i slather it on like theirs no tommorow' and he chuckles, and continues "great! because i know you had issues with creams because you couldnt get past the flaking stage. just continue to use your tazorac and it should improve your indented scars and definitly erase your redmarks. it will help keep your pores clean aswell! but in 6 months, if you feel youre skin has reached its peak with the cream, (tho i think you will be happy) you can come back and we will talk about other options. but just keep up your routine, cuz its working!" he knew i was willing to throw down so much money on fillers that are temporary, so i would have to continue to comeback. but instead, he tells me what he thinks will truely be beneficial in the present and longrun, hes so honest and helpful! couldnt be happier with my progress!

okay! so a lot has happened with my skin since the last time i posted.... some good. some bad. and some well... flattering ;)

Firstly, i HATE writing about a breakout while its happening. i dont know why. actualy i do, its sheer denial..*sigh* but anyways im writing about it now. like 4 days ago i had the worst breakout i've had in probably 2 1/2 months, it took my skin back a little in clairity, because of the red marks they left. but at least theyre new, and will fade quick with help from my taz. i broke out in 4 papules, 1 on my left cheek right in the center of the pretty part of my skin :( 2 next to the corner of my mouth, and another in the center of some pitted scars i have on my left jaw. and of course, it was smake dab right in the middle of my period. go figure. before the break out, i did notice a few teeny tiny bumps. exactly where the papuls formed.. hmmm. so in order to keep these random clogged pores from becoming inflamed i will see my aestetician once a month for extractions and a lovely facial :) so acutaly, im kinda happy this happened!

I had my first facial yesterday, and it was AMAZING! this is the same wonderful woman who applyed my levulan. so i completely trusted her. she first, cleansed and steamed my face. lightly exfoliated it with this new rotating sloughing buffer looking thing, which is brand new and made by the guy who made the sonicare toothbrush. you can kinda get an idea of what it was. that felt the best! she did extractions then applyed a pumpkin enzyme serum...god did i crave pumpkin pie ALLL DAY LONG afterwards! :D and a moisturizing mask. i left with the clearest pores i've had in the longest time! now im just trying to keep my pores as clean as possible, until my next appointment !

and lastly, my boyfriend won Kings basketball tickets on mondaynight (mind you, i dont like sports, i dont bother with thier names or numbers because i just really dont care, i would rather use the memory space for like, bayside lyrics...haha) but they were like seriously kickass tickets! 3 rows back, floor seats, right smack behind the players benchs imean, you could smelll the sweat.. so i was feeling all good untill we entered the stadium, where it is seriously blaring floresent lights! ahhh i wanted to make a run for it, hide or i dunno, shoot myself..not serious. but in all seriousnesss, i was very uncomfortable because i wasnt sure how my skin looked, and i didnt want to be the prissy girl who pulls out her compact in the middle of a game to just see if a) there are red marks galore b) i looked incredibly WHITE c) my face was flaking (since its doing that right now..i think i have a small case of dermatitis.. :doubt:) or any other crazy thing it decided to do that night. so as im taking my seat, the players are on a break and chatting and whatnot like 20 feet in front of me, facing me. 4 of them made and KEPT eye contact with me for like a good 7 sec. and one winked! i checked my self as soon as they went back out on the court, cuz i was freaking out thinking"omgod do i look crazy? is that why they looked at me? omgod omgod omgod!" but thank the LORD, i looked fine! could have used a tiny bit more blush, but hey! i couldnt have been more HAPPY! 'probably thought, crazy white girl....' then my boyfreind says, after the guy winked. WHAT are you doing? giving eyes to the players.. and i just giggled and thought "even in floresent lighting.. today was a good skin day!"