Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
YOURESORAD

Bad dermatologist experiences?

Hey guys!

I'm thinking about saving up and going to visit a dermatologist for the first time. I've heard some good things, and some not so good things. Has anyone here visited a dermatologist? It seems like everyone is trying to solve acne on their own, which is awesome. But something about seeing someone who deals with this everyday is kind of comforting, i don't know!

I went to a derm for years and years when I was younger.

I had one derm who was an old man, and I dearly loved that man! He was very kind and helpful. Then he died. A younger doctor took his place and I liked him too!

I've had good experiences with my derms, although I know not everyone does.

At this point in time, my acne is manageable with over-the-counter products so that is why I no longer go to the derm.

If you find a good one, they can be very helpful, but from the opinions around the forums here, I guess a good derm is hard to find.

If your acne is on the mild end, it can often be managed without a derm. But for stubborn/persistent and severe acne, a derm can be very helpful.

Hey guys!

I'm thinking about saving up and going to visit a dermatologist for the first time. I've heard some good things, and some not so good things. Has anyone here visited a dermatologist? It seems like everyone is trying to solve acne on their own, which is awesome. But something about seeing someone who deals with this everyday is kind of comforting, i don't know!

I have been to a derm once. And the reason I was there was not for acne. Anyway, at the end as I was leaving i just threw out "I've had acne for 10+ years now. what do you think". She looked at my face for about 5 seconds, looked down, wrote out a prescription, and handed it to me and said "get this".

So obviously a horrible expierence. She didn't care... just write out the prescription so she can make some money by seeing me. That's when i scrapped the Benzamycin she gave me, and ordered the CSR Gel, and started the CSR.

I would get a recommendation from someone if you are going to see a derm. Many doctors don't give a one way or the other. I say inform yourself. Make yourself knowledgeable on what type of acne you have etc. There's a wealth of information on these boards, and on the internet to help you.

Because in reality... you'll go to a derm... they'll look at your for a few seconds and give you BP. However, they may not even tell you how to apply it, they may not tell you to cleanse or what to cleanse with, and they may not mention moisturizing.

There's a load of information on these boards I would suggest reading. Tons of good people here. :)

Ive been to two dermatologists, and had one badddd experience. The first derm. i went to was not very good, she prescribed me very weak acne medication and didnt even seem to look at my acne closely. I switched derms. and I have a great one now. He is amazing and gave me medications that made me clear for the first time in three years!

I would say, take your chances. There are prob. more good derms. than bad ones, and clear skin is definatley worth the risk.

I live in the sticks and there is only one derm in town and he tells me I have roseacea! He is wrong I have acne vulgaris he gave me metrogel I tried it dumped it in the garbage because it did nothing for me gave me minocin then go back to see him he tells me it's discoloring my teeth so I tell him no it's from the crest whitestrips I've been using, refuses to listen to me and gives me a prescriptions for trimethoprim which didn't help!! I miss living in NJ and going to a real derm because when I lived there my derm had my acne under control, my skin was clear and no one here will give me the meds I ask for!!! dumb hicks!!! :evil: