Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hiyas, I heard that some facial treatments work on preventing acne. I was wondering if anyone has had a facial done and how much it costs? Also can anyone reconmend me a place to get a facial at. i will probably do some research myself.

so thanks!

Tis my first post here, although I have been lurking around for a while

I get a facial every month or so and I think that it helps with my acne, Its hard to say whether or not it prevents it, but it certainly clears up your face alot and, imo, is worth having done. Its costs me 80 bucks (aus) and lasts about and hr, I dont know where you live so i couldnt recommend a joint for you

If you have primarily comedonal acne (clogged pores), facials with extractions can be very helpful -- but you need a regular treatment as well, such as a mild retinoid, salicylic acid, or mandelic acid.

If you have inflammatory or cystic acne, you should be extremely careful in choosing an aesthetician, as a clueless one could easily make your skin worse. And be advised that facials alone are not a miracle cure! If you are lucky enough to find an aesthetician who is knowledgeable about acne, they can be very helpful, but if not ... well, let's just say you could pour a lot of money down the drain very quickly.

If you have primarily comedonal acne (clogged pores), facials with extractions can be very helpful -- but you need a regular treatment as well, such as a mild retinoid, salicylic acid, or mandelic acid.

If you have inflammatory or cystic acne, you should be extremely careful in choosing an aesthetician, as a clueless one could easily make your skin worse. And be advised that facials alone are not a miracle cure! If you are lucky enough to find an aesthetician who is knowledgeable about acne, they can be very helpful, but if not ... well, let's just say you could pour a lot of money down the drain very quickly.

Yes, I got a facial (I wanted an MD Formulations glycolic peel facial) from a very expensive store in Knightsbridge in London. When I got there they palmed me off with whatever beautician they had working there at the time who carried out a facial with a different range of products. All she did was exfoliate for like 10 mins which just made my skin red (which is quite a feat given my black complexion) and apply alot of other product and try to sell me stuff. It didn't make a difference and I believe it was a waste of money.

I have now joined a spa and they keep offering me a free facial and I will not take it. I do not believe that most beauticians know anything at all about acne and how to treat (even though they claim otherwise) and could easily make things worse. Since it is my face we are talking about, I am simply not prepared to risk it. I also don't believe you will cure acne in this way.

Yes, I got a facial (I wanted an MD Formulations glycolic peel facial) from a very expensive store in Knightsbridge in London. When I got there they palmed me off with whatever beautician they had working there at the time who carried out a facial with a different range of products. All she did was exfoliate for like 10 mins which just made my skin red (which is quite a feat given my black complexion) and apply alot of other product and try to sell me stuff. It didn't make a difference and I believe it was a waste of money.

I have now joined a spa and they keep offering me a free facial and I will not take it. I do not believe that most beauticians know anything at all about acne and how to treat (even though they claim otherwise) and could easily make things worse. Since it is my face we are talking about, I am simply not prepared to risk it. I also don't believe you will cure acne in this way.

Yeah, i'd never let anyone else touch my face like that. I think unless you've lived with acne and experimented with cures it's all but impossible to be of any help. Not to mention their only aim is sell sell sell.

I think the answer to whether or not facials are helpful/harmful in treating acne verymuch depends on the skills and experience of the esthetician. I am currently seeing an esthetician who specializes in treating acne - and she is very good at it. I got inflammed acne on my chin after using Differin (I had no acne there prior to using the Differin). I stopped going to my derm and starting going to see the esthetician instead. The inflammed acne on my chin cleared up in about 3 wks. And my skin continues to improve. I've been seeing her for about 2 months (I go in for facials every 2 wks and have an at home skin care routine that she designed for me), and my skin looks much, much better than when I started. I'm almost totally clear now.

hiyas, thanks for all your replies, i think i am gonna get some treatment done to my face, but i was wondering does anyone know if the gycolic facial treatment peels your skin for so many days or a week? Only because i have a wedding shower to go.

So thanks!

I had a facial done by an aesthetician(sp) at a spa for mother's day (my dad got the mother-daughter deal), I think the facial itself was relatively cheap. The total came to $250, but minus out the makeup we bought, which probably totaled at least $100. They did a steam thing, a clay mask, and a bunch of other things. my skin was pretty irritated and red afterwards, but it went down within three days afterwards. But my skin was soooo smooth.

i don't know what to do, lol... I have mild acne, but from picking at the two cysts i got, i now have two dark spots, my mom says it looks like a bruise, and i want to it to go away!. I just can't figure out what facial treatment i want, maybe if i go there will they tell me? cause i mostly get white heads on around the sides of my mouth and chin area, thats where its seemd to be pretty bad at the moment. I also think i got the cysts from the dove sensitive soap bar.sorry if this doesn't flow :/. Would anyone trust a spa and salon place in the mall? sorry if i am asking too many questions!.

thanks

I had a facial done by an aesthetician(sp) at a spa for mother's day (my dad got the mother-daughter deal), I think the facial itself was relatively cheap. The total came to $250, but minus out the makeup we bought, which probably totaled at least $100. They did a steam thing, a clay mask, and a bunch of other things. my skin was pretty irritated and red afterwards, but it went down within three days afterwards. But my skin was soooo smooth.

i was looking at your regmine at the bottom and i noticed you don't reconmend getting anything with Salicylic Acid how come? Because i am using nuetrogena oil free acne wash. so just wondering.

i don't know what to do, lol... I have mild acne, but from picking at the two cysts i got, i now have two dark spots, my mom says it looks like a bruise, and i want to it to go away!. I just can't figure out what facial treatment i want, maybe if i go there will they tell me? cause i mostly get white heads on around the sides of my mouth and chin area, thats where its seemd to be pretty bad at the moment. I also think i got the cysts from the dove sensitive soap bar.sorry if this doesn't flow :/. Would anyone trust a spa and salon place in the mall? sorry if i am asking too many questions!.

You might try kojic acid for the dark spots ... you can get more information at www.dianayvonne.com. You might also want to get some samples of Diana's cleansers. I saw in your other post that you have been using the Neutrogena acne wash, and that cleanser is really not good for your skin ... it combines salicylic acid with some very harsh detergents ... good way to wreck your skin barrier in a hurry.

I have gone to many spas over the years in search of a good acne treatment. I spent literally thousands of dollars, and I never found anything that really worked. So I am highly skeptical of most aestheticians -- UNLESS you can find one who really specializes in treating acne and knows what the hell she's doing.

My personal opinion is that if you are going to spend that much money, you are probably better off doing some research on this board and buying a couple of good products online. Diana Yvonne is an excellent site -- the SkinCare board there is loaded with information -- and Linda Sy (www.lindasy.com) also sells terrific products. I love her mild oatmeal cleanser.

Salicylic acid is not always bad, BTW. It is very effective at unclogging pores and getting rid of blackheads. But it is important to get your SA in the right formulation, with the right pH ... and even then, not everyone's skin can tolerate it (mine hates it, unfortunately). Diana Yvonne, Linda Sy and Paula Begoun (www.cosmeticscop.com) all have good SA (BHA) products.

You might try kojic acid for the dark spots ... you can get more information at www.dianayvonne.com. You might also want to get some samples of Diana's cleansers. I saw in your other post that you have been using the Neutrogena acne wash, and that cleanser is really not good for your skin ... it combines salicylic acid with some very harsh detergents ... good way to wreck your skin barrier in a hurry.

I have gone to many spas over the years in search of a good acne treatment. I spent literally thousands of dollars, and I never found anything that really worked. So I am highly skeptical of most aestheticians -- UNLESS you can find one who really specializes in treating acne and knows what the hell she's doing.

My personal opinion is that if you are going to spend that much money, you are probably better off doing some research on this board and buying a couple of good products online. Diana Yvonne is an excellent site -- the SkinCare board there is loaded with information -- and Linda Sy (www.lindasy.com) also sells terrific products. I love her mild oatmeal cleanser.

Salicylic acid is not always bad, BTW. It is very effective at unclogging pores and getting rid of blackheads. But it is important to get your SA in the right formulation, with the right pH ... and even then, not everyone's skin can tolerate it (mine hates it, unfortunately). Diana Yvonne, Linda Sy and Paula Begoun (www.cosmeticscop.com) all have good SA (BHA) products.

Thanks so much for your help! i appericate it, yah i weill definately ditch the nuetrogenA oil free acne wash stuff, (its funny cause i read book called Skin type Solution which reconmened nuetrogena oil free acne wash!) but hopefulley i will be albe to get the diana cleanser. I just don't get it though i never had so many blackheads before i swear its from using moisturizer! then again i tend to over moisturize :/ Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do you know if ones skin barrier is ruined?. Before the nuetrogena wash i also was usuing for awhile a cleanser called natural sea breeze anti bacterial. so that also had to be bad for my skin. I am also using Clean and clear Salicylic acid on the spot treatment 2% thats the only active ingredient, so i hope that isn' bad either

i was looking at your regmine at the bottom and i noticed you don't reconmend getting anything with Salicylic Acid how come? Because i am using nuetrogena oil free acne wash. so just wondering.

I tried working with 0.5% Salicylic Acid and 2.5% SA for 1-2 years. At the point I was using it i had papules and pustules, and it always irritated my skin and did nothing for my acne. Since you only have whiteheads (and those cysts), it would probably work better for you. But I wanted to ask: do you wax the area where you're breaking out? Because pores can get clogged with bacteria after waxing, thus causing a whitehead. But if you're talking about pustules (the larger bumps with a head that are fun to pop), try using Benzoyl Peroxide instead.

I tried working with 0.5% Salicylic Acid and 2.5% SA for 1-2 years. At the point I was using it i had papules and pustules, and it always irritated my skin and did nothing for my acne. Since you only have whiteheads (and those cysts), it would probably work better for you. But I wanted to ask: do you wax the area where you're breaking out? Because pores can get clogged with bacteria after waxing, thus causing a whitehead. But if you're talking about pustules (the larger bumps with a head that are fun to pop), try using Benzoyl Peroxide instead.