Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
backpacker

Our Acne Isn't As Bad As We Think

I dont know, today I was just thinking, and I thought that maybe my acne isnt as bad as I think. I mean, when I look at myself in the mirror, I see the acne and it disgusts me. But I'm thinking that other people look at my acne and they dont think it is as bad as I do. I mean, i havent confirmed this, it is just a thought. Like, they dont feel it at all, they just see it and it probably doesnt look as bad as I think it does when I look in the mirror.

Oh well, probably wishful thinkin.

I agree, it's mostly in our heads. Even when my acne was at its worst, there was always someone I have seen with worse skin. And my friends (bless their hearts) always told me that they hardly noticed at all, and its never something that lingers in their thoughts all day long. I like to compare it to how skinny girls look in the mirror and think they're fat. It's primarily all in your head.

One time I remember how self-conscious I was when my acne was at it's worst, and I remember how this girl with big kinky hair told me how nice she thought my hair was and how she wished she had hair like mine, and how much she hated hers because it was so humid and hers was a frizzball. Of course I only noticed her great skin until she pointed that out. I think there are some people with clearly bad acne but just don't let the fact that your skin is not perfectly clear get you down because you want perfection, that was a problem for me for awhile. Even after the acne cleared some I was still obsessed with getting it ALL to go away, and still am to a degree, but realize I can't let it get me down.

yeah this is definitely truth. there's a saying i'm sure most of you have heard "YOU ARE YOUR OWN HARSHEST CRITIC".. you are going to notice your faults much more than other people do.

a good example is this. say a person who is really overweight. it's likely that they obssess about it (like we do with our complexion), thinking they're hideous etc. they think everyone is looking at them in disgust. personally, when i see an overweight person, the thought really doesn't even go through my mind about their weight. or if it does, it's only for like 1 second.

that's the whole beef of it. people don't spend their entire time thinking about your faults. you see someone with bad acne and at worst you're like man they have bad skin. then it's over. you don't go home and keep thinking about oh my god how hideous was that person today. you just don't do it.

but... this is how we all envision other people. like they're obssessed with our faults. i know in truth my acne is nothing at all hardly. a few spots every now and then. most people probably don't even notice it. yet it's all i think about. it's all in your minds. the hard part is getting it out of there.

one other thing i wanted to add, or question rather. ultimately most of us have the idea in our heads that our acne is ruining us.

it's a fear that a person will see us and immediately think we are disgusting and worthless just because we have a few spots. somehow this has gotten into peoples' heads that without clear skin we're not worth anything. like people are going to immediatley disregard us for having bad skin.

what is this? is it such deep insecurity within ourselves that we feel we have nothing else to compensate for it? like our looks are all we have? i think that is what distinguishes the guy who has bad acne, but still has confidence, vs. the person who doesn't have it bad but has no self-confidence. the guy with the bad acne and confidence feels good about himself and he feels that he has other traits so strong that the acne doesn't matter.

so maybe the real answer is stop putting so much emphasis on our faces. in reality, you're not "ruined" with others if you breakout. unless you really feel ruined, then you will be.

as mentioned in another post, a SMILE is the best thing to cover up bad skin. it works better than any makeup on the planet. if you portray yourself as a cheerful, easy to get along with person, others will enjoy you, no matter what you look like. how do you think these unattractive guys/girls get hot girlfriends/boyfriends? it's probably because they just smile and act friendly. that gets you a lot of places.

but.. if you think your face has ruined you, you most likely don't smile, you walk around with your head down, etc. that makes you seem boring, unhappy and unsociable. which turns people off way more than acne ever could.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

I agree-

Quite a few people have actually told me to NOT have my smoothbeam done next week. They said the scars are hardly noticeable (they are being nice IMO). Only one person said that even though my scars are okay and acceptable, if I wanted to do the smoothbeam I should go ahead. Because I know how I feel more than other people. So if the treatment would improve it, it will actually affect our self esteem more than the scars themselves.

Peace.

Guest Crooked I
one other thing i wanted to add, or question rather. ultimately most of us have the idea in our heads that our acne is ruining us.

it's a fear that a person will see us and immediately think we are disgusting and worthless just because we have a few spots. somehow this has gotten into peoples' heads that without clear skin we're not worth anything. like people are going to immediatley disregard us for having bad skin.

what is this? is it such deep insecurity within ourselves that we feel we have nothing else to compensate for it? like our looks are all we have? i think that is what distinguishes the guy who has bad acne, but still has confidence, vs. the person who doesn't have it bad but has no self-confidence. the guy with the bad acne and confidence feels good about himself and he feels that he has other traits so strong that the acne doesn't matter.

so maybe the real answer is stop putting so much emphasis on our faces. in reality, you're not \"ruined\" with others if you breakout. unless you really feel ruined, then you will be.

as mentioned in another post, a SMILE is the best thing to cover up bad skin. it works better than any makeup on the planet. if you portray yourself as a cheerful, easy to get along with person, others will enjoy you, no matter what you look like. how do you think these unattractive guys/girls get hot girlfriends/boyfriends? it's probably because they just smile and act friendly. that gets you a lot of places.

but.. if you think your face has ruined you, you most likely don't smile, you walk around with your head down, etc. that makes you seem boring, unhappy and unsociable. which turns people off way more than acne ever could.

it's so driven into us from the media also. i mean your lead to believe that only teenager have acne, usually dirty ones and they just sit around popping their zits. When you see those goddamn acne medicine comercials with girls with beutifal skin you just think wow am i hideous. the comments hurt people because the people think they are ugly already and it just reinforces it, it makes you feel like crap, it sucks but it's a red lump in your skin filled with pus. That's it, and your ment to believe that because of that you're ugly, dirty, and you'll never have a social life. those things are true because we let them be true

This is a great topic. Because I know when i had bad acne I used to think about it 24 hours a day ( it's hard not to)..but after a couple years of bieng clear i have become friends with a couple of people who had it as bad as me, I'll tell ya yeah i notice it , and so does everyone else but it's not the main focus of that person.. i remember My first year of college I met a kid who was burnt over 60 % of his face and body.. This kid was one of the funniest people i had ever met. he had tons of friends, and we all loved hanging out with him....Just a thought