Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kami

Can facelift improve deep acne scars?

Hi. Whenever I spread my face skin with my fingers in front of mirror, I observe considerable improvement in my scarring. FYI, I have a face full of deep rolling scars, which has ruined my life. I have been thinking of facelift surgery as a solution for several months but I was wondering why nobody has talked about it in this forum. Do you have idea whether facelift may improve deep rolling scars?

but I was wondering why nobody has talked about it in this forum

Because most people here are pretty young? Between 15-35 and wouldn't consider (and don't need) such an extreme solution.

Kami its widely accepted that facelift surgery would not drastically improve facial scarring. Immediately after your surgery you may have some swelling and tightness but once this dies down your skin will be as before (possibly minor improvement if any).

The reason is that facelift surgery if done correctly (im no expert here, its just from reading a little a while back) is more about lifting the underlying muscle tissue to recontour the face and address the sagging. The skin is then gently layed back down over the lifted area and slight excess cut away.

So you see, its not actually the outter skin that is lifted as such, for if done that way the skin would lose elasticity fast and your face would return to normal. Its the same if you had lipo or something on thighs and if u had cellulite, the cellulite would not be removed. Skin texture needs to be addressed differently.

A face lift may improve the way light falls on your skin, but its a very drastic method of correction with little results scar wise. Surgeons suggest people should have no more than 2 - 3 face lift surgeries in a life time as results will be unnatural. You should gen not have your first face lift until late 50's early 60's.

My suggestion is that if you are looking for an antiage solution go for fillers such as resytelyne Q or Sculptra to plump out your face making it more youthful. These fillers are longer term lasting around 1 - 2 years and can be placed into cheeks etc. I dont recommend fillers for scar correction personally due to it being a tricky and costly proceedure. BUt if you find a good surgeon and have the cash then go for it.

I am going to try fillers in a few months in the hope that it will lift my cheeks and help the way light falls on my face. If I love the results I may consider soemthing like cheek implants later on.

For deep scarring i suggest finding out what kind of scars you have and look at the treatments that wil help such as subcision.

Unfortunately there is no quick solution to acne scar revision.

kami - The facelift may yield a bit of improvement if the skin is undermined as part of the procedure. Generally with rolling scars, the tissue is bound down and this undermining may unbind the tissue, similar to a subscision. Beyond that, a facelift will not do much because with rolling scars, a filler is usually needed in addition to a subscision. You may want to look into subscisions with or without fillers.

Dan

I went on two consults re: this very matter. I wanted to have a mini-facelift re: my rolling scars. I was 27 or 28 at the time. Both doctors said no and that I was too young. They wouldn't touch my face. However, one did mention fat injections which I am considering.

Hi. Whenever I spread my face skin with my fingers in front of mirror, I observe considerable improvement in my scarring. FYI, I have a face full of deep rolling scars, which has ruined my life. I have been thinking of facelift surgery as a solution for several months but I was wondering why nobody has talked about it in this forum. Do you have idea whether facelift may improve deep rolling scars?

...well, if your scars improve or even disappear when you stretch your skin, then you are in luck because it is easier to improve those.

Treatments that can give you very good results are subcision, needling and saline injections.