Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just started Retin-A (Tretinoin 0.025% cream - ALPH) 2 days ago. I've been following the instruction leaflet, which says something like "apply to the affected and surrounding area". But in fact, when I checked the website of Retin-A today, it says "apply on the entire face". So I'm just confused whether I should use it on my entire face.

Again, I realize it stings and peels my acne now...So I wonder if this condition happens, shoul I continue using it on the stinging/peeling area?

To get an even results u must apply to your whole face thoroughly,dont apply more..The peeling and dryness is common, its will reduce after a few weeks of use..Dont be suprised you breakout more as the Retin A is working..The effect you will see in the 6 weeks..Do apply sunscreens and moisturizer

use it even in places were ur not breaking out and once ur skin has cleard a litttle do it everyother day thats what i do and it works and dont use anything with sulfur it will increase dryness and redness but if ur derm tells u to then do it

I agree with jdean and emi about applying it all over your face. i'm using tretinoin too, .05% and at first my face was very itchy and peeling. i think it gets better when you're face gets used to the stuff. i read that some people don't put tretinoin every night but on alternate days. maybe you could ask your derm about it?

So... am I suppose to apply a pea-sized Retin-A cream on my entire face? Last night when I washed my face, the affected areas became so read and stinging...really didn't dare to apply Retin-A on...

Yup, you apply it all over your face. Since I have pimples on my jaw too, I have to put some on that area too. If you think that your skin is really irritated by Retin-A, maybe you could get your derm to give you something else. I've read that certain chemicals could cause contact dermatitis. But on the whole, I don't think you should really be alarmed with what's happening. It's natural to experience redness and stinging and even peeling when using Retin-a. That's the way the drug works. It's trying though. ;)

OMG...I had horrible redness on my face now. I know Im fussy, but Should I really continue applying Retin-A on those areas? Im afraid its gonna leave a spot when the redness is gone

When I get a dry, red, irritated area, I stop applying to that spot until it calms down. Then I try every other day to allow my skin time to adapt to the Retin-A. Some peeling is a good thing, because that means the Retin-A is working. You need to adjust your usage to the needs of your skin.

Take a look at this post for some interesting information on the use of Retin-A.

Dr. Fulton's Comments on Retin-A

P&W

Thx a lot... I didnt use it yesterday coz my skin was too dry and tight...

I scratched the red area...and Im depressed coz it is definitely gonna leave a scar...

Thx a lot... I didnt use it yesterday coz my skin was too dry and tight...

I scratched the red area...and Im depressed coz it is definitely gonna leave a scar...

Your skin needs some time to adjust to the tretinoin (it's highly irritating stuff). Only use the regulation amount, and don't use it every night to begin with ... maybe every other night, or even every 3rd night. Once you've gone a week with no redness or irritation you can begin to step it up a little.

Be sure you are using the mildest possible cleanser; do not scrub or pick at your face, as tretinoin makes the skin very fragile; and be sure to wear sunscreen.

I used Retin A for 2 years. Retin A will pretty much keep your face a pink/almost red color in places. Especially on red marks you already have from acne. But when you stop using it, the redness goes away, and any red marks really fade. You're skin really does improve with retin A, but you pretty much only see it once you've stopped using it. That was my experiance.

It will make your skin peel, flake and even bleed if you're not careful. Put as little as you can on, while still getting every area of your face. Using more at one time will NOT do anything but wreck and burn your face. Retin A does not work that way, it's a building process....it's not like SA or BP.

And you may need to use it every other day or every 3rd day...depending on how sensative your skin is. It makes the skin very very delicate, you have to be so gentle with it. Do not pick!!!!!!!!!! The skin is going through a lot on retin a. The top layer is pretty much always being removed already.

And that scratch might not leave a scar... I burned an area on my cheek with retin a (before I got told using more at one time doesn't do anything but damage) and it peeled and bled big time. It looked horrible, like a major wound. I put triple antibiotic cream on it, and it healed fine.

if u get redness u should try skipping a night and moisturize and then the next night use the retin a.

Don't use Retin-A!! I used it, in combination with hydroquoine. and while it did fade my scars after about 3 months.... the side effects TOTALLY messed up my skin. Retin-A causes you to excessively peel, and makes your skin itchy, burning, and SUPER sensitive. and while it may seem like that only for the for 2 weeks... after a month or two of using it you're skin becomes SUPER oily and VERY sensitive... it get irritated easily, and very prone to sunburn.

i stopped using it like 2 months ago, but a few weeks back i got a sunburn while at the beach (stupid me) and peeled all over again and now my face is so oily i can't go 2 hour without blotting (because the protective moisture barrier has been stripped off, causing skin to become even more oily) ... and it also stings too, esp the chin area.

if i had known this was going to happen, i would've never used the products. having a few pimples and scars, is nothing compared to your whole face being in discomfort and irritation, feeling like you want to wash ur face every 2 hours. i started breaking out again anyways... so now i'm even furthur back from where i started.

DON"T USE IT PLEASE!! being ridiculously excessively oily is WAY worse trust me

Don't use Retin-A!! I used it, in combination with hydroquoine. and while it did fade my scars after about 3 months.... the side effects TOTALLY messed up my skin. Retin-A causes you to excessively peel, and makes your skin itchy, burning, and SUPER sensitive. and while it may seem like that only for the for 2 weeks... after a month or two of using it you're skin becomes SUPER oily and VERY sensitive... it get irritated easily, and very prone to sunburn.

i stopped using it like 2 months ago, but a few weeks back i got a sunburn while at the beach (stupid me) and peeled all over again and now my face is so oily i can't go 2 hour without blotting (because the protective moisture barrier has been stripped off, causing skin to become even more oily) ... and it also stings too, esp the chin area.

if i had known this was going to happen, i would've never used the products. having a few pimples and scars, is nothing compared to your whole face being in discomfort and irritation, feeling like you want to wash ur face every 2 hours. i started breaking out again anyways... so now i'm even furthur back from where i started.

DON"T USE IT PLEASE!! being ridiculously excessively oily is WAY worse trust me

I don't know, personally, Retin-A's working great for me and I am not suffering from excessive peeling nor sunburn. I use the cream every night ( ha, tough face :dance: ) and I live in the Philippines and it is really hot here but by using sunblock SPF 30. My peeling wasn't so bad and my face is not oily at all. However, some people are really sensitive to tretinoin and maybe you're one of those people. Retin-A's worked for some people and some don't really like them. My advice is to wait and if you really feel that you're much too sensitive for tretinoin, then go to your derm and ask it to be changed.

Anyway, my sympathies oceanmist that retin-a didn't work for you. I hope you find something that suits your skin. :|

1. Duh Retin-A peels your skin... That's what it's supposed to do. Sorry you couldn't handle it.

2. Using Hydroquinone with Retin-A? Your doctor must have been crazy. No wonder you had such a bad reaction... One or the other, not both.

3. Just because your doctor was stupid and prescribed them simultaneously DOES NOT mean that everybody will have the same reaction you will...

4. Please stop ramming on Retin-A every chance you get. You're an abnormal case where you messed up, through no fault of your own. Most people get good results with Retin-A, and you telling the same story over and over doesn't make people want to use it less, because it's obvious you used it incorrectly and your reaction was not representative of a normal reaction to the drug. You're stating the obvious--People who take Retin-A (for the most part) know what lies ahead and expect the peeling, itching, sensetivity to sun, etc. BUT they are willing to stick it out to get the results the drug can deliver.

Again, I'm sorry you had a bad experience... But it definitely doesn't sound as bad as MY bad experience with the drug, where my face became so dry that I developed deep crevices that cracked and bled... smiling was painful, laughing was instant torture. BUT I later discovered that I WAS USING IT INCORRECTLY--using it in conjunction with other products (salicylic acid and an abrasive scrub) and applying it twice a day instead of once. So instead of telling that horror story, I am giving the drug another chance to work on my skin by using a lower strength and using it exactly according to the label. And it's working GREAT so far. I'm sorry Retin-A wasn't the solution for you, but it IS the solution for many people, so hammering on it is pointless.