Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Being a vegetarian, I am avoiding fish oils which are supposed to be great for the skin. However, I talked to a co-worker who is also vegetarian AND has tried many naturopathic approaches to clearing skin and she recommended flax oil which not only helped clear her skin, but it helped to strengthen her nails and thicken her hair.

So, that being said, I bought some Ultra Enriched Flax Oil with Lignans. I wanted to get some opinions on the contents, because I read a post here about taking these oils and how they should be predominantly oleic oil or something like that.

Here are the Supplement Facts:

Polyunsaturated Fat 9.3g composed of:

Omega-3 (alpha-linolenic acid) 6.8g

Omega-6 (linoleic acid) 2.5g

Monounsaturated Fat 2.7g composed of:

Omega-9 (oleic acid)

Sliced Flaxseed 2,100 mg composed of:

Lignans (SDG) 15mg - 40mg

What do you guys think of this? Pretty good deal?

Thanks for the input :D

Yeah, it's supposed to have pretty good properties. I use it on rice and things just cos i like the taste. I wouldn't rely on it to clear your acne though.

Being a vegetarian, I am avoiding fish oils which are supposed to be great for the skin.

I have read that flax is not the exact smae thing as fish oil. it has ALA which gets converted into EPA (an omega-3 oil) once in the body, but after conversion would not have nearly as much EPA as fish oil. You would have to take ten times as much flax as you would fish oil. However flax is best at keeping you regular (or relieving constipation).

btw don't cook with the stuff, it is NOT a replacement for soybean oil, ALA supposedly become mutagenic whn heated... so idk, i would take their word for it. (Mutagen from heated chinese and U.S. cooking oils. J Natl Cancer Inst 1995; 87: 836-41)

Sounds good, give it a try. It can help hair and nails grow, I take a liquid EFA from health from the sun. My nails grow crazy faster with this supplement, for me it aint sumthing cool either and I shave my hair all of so...

I take Barlean's Flaxseed Oil with Lignans. It has almost completely changed my skin. It took about a month before I saw results. Now my hair, skin and nails are very moisturized and healthy looking. I love Flaxseed oil! Make sure you take the liquid form not the gel caps (it's fresher). I take 2 tablespoons/day Oh, also helps me to be regular..:)