Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AN91

best thing next to accutane

I can't take accutane because the side effects are gonna interfere with my boxing majorly the nose bleeding and tiredness. I changed my derm. because I changed my health insurance so I have an appointment on the 21st that I gotta go to.

So far, I've tried.

1st solution

Wash day/night with BP 9% Cream

day-Clindagel

night-Differin

This didn't work well because my acne is midly severe. It fixed up the white heads but not the really bad ones. I was on this for 2 months until I stopped.

2nd solution

Wash day/night-clenia

day-BP 9% pads

night-Tazorac gel .1%

day/night-nicomide tablets

This made my face extremely flaky, dry, and breakout for 2-3 months.

Something intresting. While boxing, I caught an infection on my cheek from one of the gloves and I went to my family doctor and he gave me Augumentin 875mg for 10 days and this fixed the infection AND 70% of my cysts. I asked if I could get another 10 days but he said no because it'll hurt my indises and it's not for long-term. As soon as the 10 days were over it all came back.

So at this point, what medication should I be taking except Accutane. Since I'm going to a new derm. I don't want to to start giving my useless stuff.

BTW, here are some pics. I know I need to shave, just gotten lazy

IPB Image

IPB Image

the reason your skin cleared up so well is because the doctor probably gave you high doses of antibiotics. My answer is, the best next thing to accutane is antibiotics. you just have to take the right ones in moderation. I just think that no washes or creams compare to accutane, so i say the next best thing is a pill.

the reason your skin cleared up so well is because the doctor probably gave you high doses of antibiotics. My answer is, the best next thing to accutane is antibiotics. you just have to take the right ones in moderation. I just think that no washes or creams compare to accutane, so i say the next best thing is a pill.

Is there any special one that you know is specifically for acne that works well?

ask ur derm for doryox...its a cuzin of tetracycline and made my face alot better

Ok, thanks. Do you have any before/after pics with it?

yup...just go to my gallery...look at my face in january(the snowboardin one)...and look at my most recent pic...see if u can tell the difference

Ok, thanks. Looks good, I'll definately ask my derm about this.

Any of the tetracyclines or the minocyclines. Erthomycin and cephalexin work too. The list of antibiotics is very, very long.

I really liked bactrim/septra before my allergic reaction to sulfa drugs occurred...

This is the one I had the best success with, and it's the one my derm says works for the most people. Augmentin is fairly strong...You could always try Amoxicillin which is one of the components Augmentin is made up of. Augmentin also contains clavulanate potassium which makes it a broad spectrum antibiotic, but that's the bad thing about it too....(diarrhea, succeptibility to infections after treatment).

Like I said, I can't go on Accutane because I'll need to stop sparring for 6 months and I can't do that because I have fights scheduled.

So tetracycline and things like those the the best for me at this point?

Like I said, I can't go on Accutane because I'll need to stop sparring for 6 months and I can't do that because I have fights scheduled.

So tetracycline and things like those the the best for me at this point?

Retin-A. Most consistently effective besides Accutane.