Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've decided to try adding blue/red light therapy to my regimen to hopefully knock my acne down some more. I have been using lots of BP, but recently I moved into an area where we have some really hard water and my skin is getting very irritated. I've had to back off the BP. In my job I feel its important that I have control over my skin and present as professional an appearance as possible.

So anyway I was searching for these acne lamps which are reported to work for a lot of people. I've narrowed it down to 2 products, but there is a huge difference in price between the two. So I find myself wondering if the more expensive lamps really will do a much better job, or if I should just go with the cheaper ones. Does anybody have any comments about these?

1: Sci/Art Dichromatic Flood Lights. It looks like I can get a red and a blue lamp with fixtures for under 200 bucks. Website says these work by filters which only transmit the desired blue or red wavelengths.

http://www.kaliszincolor.com/color-therapy...chro_floods.htm

2: "Acnelamp" This one costs over $500 for the full face treating, 3 headed lamp. It works with LED's instead of a filter, and it reportedly has a much higher "power density" in the desired wavelengths than the Dichromatic flood lights. So I guess the claim is this one basically zaps your facial bacteria with a bigger dose of blue light.

http://www.acnelamp.com/index.php?lang=eng

I'm willing to pay for the "Acnelamp" if it really is better. I don't want to screw around with acne. But, if anybody has tried either of these before, I'd really appreciate hearing your experience.

Thanks!

I bought a blue/red light handheld "acne lamp" the other day. I'm suprised I haven't seen more posts about blue light therapy -- especially full facial ones like acne lamp sells. I'm back on prescription strength medication( differen, minocycline, plexion ) so I stopped using light therapy for now.. I'm scared to use it while on prescription strength medication, even though it seems like visible light shouldn't lead to anything bad while I'm on this stuff. But if anyone here has used acnelamp, I would really be interested in some feedback as well.

I just got a Lumiport red/blue acne "pen light" today ($150.00). I'll post here about how well the pen works, and then if I get a full face lamp, I'll post about that.

Well I've used the dermastyle pen for 2 days. I used it on a couple of little zits on day one and by today they are nearly gone. A couple of larger ones don't show any change yet. So far I have used the red and blue setting and also the blue only setting. I'm not sure which is best.

Obviously its too early to tell if my skin is really responding to the light.

The Lumiport pen appears to be working. The 2 larger zits I've been using it on have shrunk down to almost nothing in just a few days. I should mention I'm also using small amounts of BP at the same time, but usually my spots last pretty long. The 2 small ones I used it on have dissapeared completely.

I'm using it twice a day for 10 mins on each spot. So its taking some time. After this week, I may be able to determine if I want to spend $500 for the full face lamp.

Now it seems pretty obvious that the light is having some effect. It works very well on the small stuff, but on every pimple I've used it on it has begun to shrink that pimple.

Today I got a container of Dan's CSR skin cleanser so I will be trying that in place of my usual Clean and Clear deep action cream cleanser.

Overall I'm pretty encouraged with this blue light therapy. Right now I'm 75% sure I'm going to buy the full face lamp, but I will wait until the end of the week to finalize that.

Well I ordered my Acnelamp. I got the red and blue 3 head lamp. It was painful to order because the total came to $614.00, but there is a 90 day money back guarantee. We will see how this works. It should take several days to get here, but I will update this when I begin to use it.

Its now 2 weeks since I started with the Lumiport pen. My skin has shown some improvement in that time. I went from using it morning and evening to just using it in the evening because it does take substaintial time. I pretty much only use the red and blue setting now. I also use a small or moderate amount of BP twice a day as part of the normal CSR regimen.

On a few of the larger pimples the Lumiport didn't seem to do too much very fast, but on smaller ones it had a pretty dramatic effect. I kept on using it on the larger ones and many of those have receded or faded.

My full face lamp from acne lamp still has not arrived. I'm pretty optimistic that it will be effective when it gets here. So stay tuned if you are interested in this subject as I still plan to post about the results.

One thing about the lumiport - sometimes when the battery gets low and I plug it in to recharge, the light on the recharger starts to blink red. After unplugging it and plugging it back in several times, I can get it to glow solid red and do a normal recharge. I hope this doesn't mean my lumiport pen is dying!

you still got the 2 month guarentee. So you can return it, if you think it's defective. (in that case, 1 year)

I've know that lumiport will release a new produt that will do a full facial next april. I'll just do some omnilux treatments and buy the pen until then. I believe that lumiport is the best light treatment devices out their.

I got my red/blue acnelamp full face lamp. It came with a pair of goggles - the tiny goggles people use in tanning beds.

So I exfoliated and used it tonight. It is very bright when you sit in front of it so you have to be sure to use the goggles. In fact, I don't think the goggles provided fit me very well so I will be looking for some new ones that block more light and fit better. In the mean time, I don't think I will be aiming the lights near my eyes; I'll angle them away.

Ok, well so now we just keep using it and play the waiting game to see what happens.

wow i was thinkin about purchasing this. previously I was going into a spa for bluelight treatments helped my acne for a week or two, but then it came back. it was too expensive to keep paying 100 buck each time. please keep letting us know your experience. thanks. :D

Hey thanks for keeping this thread up to date! very consistent!

Im also considering buying a blue/red light lamp - but it will put a considerable dent on my financial situation! I live in australia so it will probably come to something like $800 AUD!

Anyway - to the point: How bad was your acne to start with? just the odd spot or was it like lots of marks left over and pretty messed up?

Thanks alot

Have a look at Acne star - this is a blue lamp handheld device which I'm currently trialling.

Further details: www.acnestar.co.uk

Retails for about £60

My acne was mild to moderate and has been for years. It just keeps going at some annoying low level and then occasionally breaks out to a moderate level. My skin has red marks and a generally bumpy appearance with a lot of whiteheads, and small scars or divots. Then I also hd maybe 2 to 5 zits of varying size at any given time.

So I had it pretty well under control, although by no means perfect, by using large amounts of BP. Then I moved to an area with hard water and my skin started to get very irritated. So I backed off to small amounts of BP and started on the lumiport pen. Instead of getting worse my skin has improved. Typically in the past, if I reduced my BP usage, my skin would get worse.

Now I'm moving on to the very expensive acnelamp. With the lumiport and acnelamp taken together, my investment in blue light treatments is about $765 US.

But if this works I judge it to be worthwile. Now I'm starting to think I could create and market my own lamp at a much lower price! (Just kidding acnelamp corporation)

Ok, just did my third day of acnelamp. The first two days I sat in front of it for 15 minutes each evening with two heads of the lamp pointed at the sides of my face and one head aimed at the center of my forehead.

Tonight I did ten minutes with two heads aimed roughly at my temples and one head at the center of my forehead, and another ten minutes with two heads aimed at lower sides of my jaw and one head aimed up under my chin.

There is some tingling and irritation from the lamps. Wether that is from heat or light I don't know. They are powerful and I might scale back to doing less time.

Acne wise, I don't see anything really clearing up yet, but there is no new acne popping up either. There was some redness after sitting in front of the lamps tonight.

The light on the charger will flash red when the DermaStyle battery is very dead. This is normal as long as it turns to solid red after being plugged in for a little bit. --Lumiport

Its now 2 weeks since I started with the Lumiport pen. My skin has shown some improvement in that time. I went from using it morning and evening to just using it in the evening because it does take substaintial time. I pretty much only use the red and blue setting now. I also use a small or moderate amount of BP twice a day as part of the normal CSR regimen.

On a few of the larger pimples the Lumiport didn't seem to do too much very fast, but on smaller ones it had a pretty dramatic effect. I kept on using it on the larger ones and many of those have receded or faded.

My full face lamp from acne lamp still has not arrived. I'm pretty optimistic that it will be effective when it gets here. So stay tuned if you are interested in this subject as I still plan to post about the results.

One thing about the lumiport - sometimes when the battery gets low and I plug it in to recharge, the light on the recharger starts to blink red. After unplugging it and plugging it back in several times, I can get it to glow solid red and do a normal recharge. I hope this doesn't mean my lumiport pen is dying!

An update on my Acnelamp usage:

I have been using the device everyday in the way I described in my previous post. I exfolite with clean and clear scrub, and then I hit the top portion of my face for 10 to 15 minutes and then the lower portion of my face for 10 to 15 minutes. As an exception, on Sunday I did the whole procedure twice.

About 3 days into using the lamp there was an acne flare up on my cheeks. I won't say any new zits appeared but the existing small ones and white heads kind of became larger and redder. This has since calmed down, and the zits all appear to be receding.

My forehead looks really clear especially along my hairline where I typically have some problems.

I've had some irritation which might be from the lights but I'm not sure. My face itches during the day. I am still using small amounts of BP twice a day, but at this point it is only a very light coating as opposed to the generous slathering I used to apply in the past. I might try to go off BP altogether after a few weeks.

So to sum up, the lights appear to be working, and I am going to continue treatment. After another week I will post the progress. With 2 or 3 weeks under my belt I hope I'll be able to say definitively what the lights are doing.

A pre-Labor Day update on my ongoing battle against bacteria, my nemesis:

Do you ever think about how much time we spend fighting bacteria? Brush and floss the teeth or bacteria destroy them, shower or bacteria make you stink...thousands of people are killed by deadly bacteria every day.

Anyway, a few more days have passed. My face looks a little better. Three small zits came up about a day ago, and I used the lumiport pen on them in addition to my normal use of the acnelamp. All the other stuff still seems to be fading, and my face is in fact looking better than it has in a while. Considering the very low level of BP that I am using, and the fact that I have been using a reduced amount of BP for over a month now, I really have to concluded that the lights do in fact work. I really think that if I was not using these lights, I'd have a ripping good face full of acne by now.

Since what the lights do is kill P. Acne, it really seems like my problems are due to a deep infection of the skin with P. Acne bacteria, despite years of heavy BP application. I guess my skin is a very fertile environment for the growth of P. Acne since it is oily. They probably have established a thriving civilization down under the surface, and it is my intention to fry them all to death with radiation.

They probably have established a thriving civilization down under the surface, and it is my intention to fry them all to death with radiation.

Yeah I know what its like!! Do you think the acnelamp equivalent of the lumiport pen will work as well? I think the acnelamp one is like $30 compared to the lumiport which is $150!

Also, do you think the full face one is better than the pen? From your posts it seems like the pen did the job just as good...

Thanks for keeping this post up to date! much appreciation

They probably have established a thriving civilization down under the surface, and it is my intention to fry them all to death with radiation.

Yeah I know what its like!! Do you think the acnelamp equivalent of the lumiport pen will work as well? I think the acnelamp one is like $30 compared to the lumiport which is $150!

Also, do you think the full face one is better than the pen? From your posts it seems like the pen did the job just as good...

Thanks for keeping this post up to date! much appreciation

I think the lumiprt is for those who have mild acne and only need it for zapping a few zits /for few cysts as it's very direct, whereas the full face one is for those who are acne prone on all areas of the face (like myself)

The real drawbacks of the pen are the amount of time it takes to treat several zits, and the fact that its not really preventative. With the lamp you can treat the whole face and thus prevent new zits from coming up.

The pen can really only treat zits once they already appear.

With that said though, the pen seems very effective against small, new zits. And you get the pen right up on the skin where the light can really penetrate into the skin.

You bring up the price...these things are very expensive and I have to believe the profit margins are huge. I can't say anything about the ones I haven't tried, but I would recommend that you make sure there is a money back deal in case it doesn't work for you.

The sci-art lamps and others that work with bulbs instead of LED's are cheaper and they might work just as well for all I know.

Last night I got the idea to try and put the old 2 fingers of BP on my face with the goal being to kill the bacteria down with a double attack of lights and BP. After having done that, when I woke up today my face looked inflamed and irritated. So I decided that I might as well be done with the BP for now, and try going with just the acnelamp and the lumiport pen.

So now I start a new phase of the treatment using only lights. Already there is a benefit that I don't need any moisturizer on my face. It feels fine without it. I figure this will at least be much more gentle on my skin, since I don't have to touch it to work in BP and moisturizers, and it won't get any products on it except for cleanser.

One of the beauties of these lamps is that they even get zits that are in you hair, like on the scalp near your face or inside your sideburns. Apparently the light penetrates in there because it has cleared those areas for me. The drawbacks as I have mentioned are the price and the time it takes to use them.

So far so good with the lights only and no bp. My skin is looking a little better each day. Right now I have only one zit on my face, and its pretty small. I do have 2 nodules going on my chin line, but they are the kind that don't really come to a head and I think they are related to BP.

One thing I have noticed right away: once I stopped with the BP and the moisturizer, my skin is much less oily. I used to have very oily skin in the morning, and throughout the day the oil would keep pumping. I now believe this was related generally to skin irritation caused by too much product use. So maybe its possible to reach a point of diminishing returns where applying more BP becomes counterproductive. In other words, yes BP kills P. Acne bacteria, but then if it is also causing irritation that is in turn causing more oil to be produced, then you get to a situation where you are both killing bacteria and promoting an environment for its growth.

Anyway I have to mention that I am going kind of crazy with the lamp. I am using it 20 minutes in the morning and 30 to 40 minutes in the evening. I just want to make sure P. Acne doesn't run wild now that I have no BP on my face and I have been using BP for years. If I go 2 weeks with no significant breakouts, I can declare the lights a success, because I know from past experience that if I reduce BP usage I will breakout badly usually within a week, but definently within 2 weeks. Then at that point I will try to scale back the lamp use to 20 minutes a day.

If this works for you I will probably go buy the acnelamp. Seems like a good investment if it really works.

Thanks again for keeping your progress up to date

No problem, I will continue to post on this. In any case I'd just caution to make sure you have a money back guarantee on anything you buy, just in case it doesn't work for some people or for any other reason you don't like it.