Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have really bad scarred pores and shallow scarring. My skin looks soooo bad in almost any lighting and it upsets me if I don't wear makeup just about all the time. I have really oily skin, but am on accutane right now, so its not so bad. My makeup usually doesn't stay on my face very well (when I am off accutane). I am trying to prepare for when it comes back. My skin looks terrible with the oil and the scars/pores.

Anyways, I came across the idea of using a primer on my skin before applying foundation. The primer I found was smashbox primer. Has/Does anyone use this?

Does anyone here use primer? And if you do, would you recommend that I use one also?

TIA

K

I tried the Smashbox primer. It has vitamins and other ingredients that make my face even more oily during the day. In fact, I seem to recall it contributed to new breakouts, too.

I use and recommend Aloette Flawless Skin Perfecting Serum http://www.aloettecosmetics.com/oneproduct...=131&nav=22 It has silicone, AHA/BHA and oil controlling ingredients. With this product, I just need to blot my nose once during the day and by the end of the day, the rest of my skin is only slightly shiny (it's a bit more oily during this abnormally hot, hot summer).

The only drawback with Flawless is the product seems to separate i.e. the silicone seems to be concentrated in the first half of the bottle and no amount of shaking seems to correct this. As such, the oil control is less effective once the product starts to look clear and runny, but it still provides a little oil control.

IMO, to date, Flawless is the best oil control product I've ever tried. In fact, I went to work without it one day and by 11:00 AM my face was really shiny.

I use smashboxs apricot primer. SOmetimes I use it by itself, without foundation at all. It does a good job of toning down an uneven complexion. WHen I firt tried it, I was not impressed with how it made my scars/pores look. Ive since had fraxel, and I now notice a difference when I wear it (scars are still noticeable but much softer). It does feel a bit greasy because of the silicone. I wait 5 to 10 minutes before putting on tinted moisturizer. Wait for that to dry and then blot with blotting tissue.

I had gone to sephora and gotten samples of all the primers that they had available. For my skin type, smashboxs apricot was best.

Kirstin, anyone can use a primer.

1) If you have enlarged pores, primer can fill them in (to a certain degree) and make the area look more smooth.

2) It will fill in fine lines and wrinkles and give a smoother finish.

3) If your makeup seems to break down during the day, primer will provide a surface onto which makeup can adhere. However, silicone primers do not specifically address makeup breakdown due to oily skin (except for Aloette Flawless).

4) If you have rough patches, primer (after moisturizer) can help the makeup go on better.

4) One brand of primer claimed that whatever you apply before the primer will be better absorbed into the skin as the primer seals it into the skin.

5) And another claim is the silicone will act as a barrier between the skin and environmental elements so your skin is better protected, even from potentially problematic ingredients in cosmetics.

Hey, before you spend alot of money on a primer, try using Milk of Magnesia as a primer. I read about using it on Paula Begoun's site as well as on makeupalley.com It gets great reviews and most people say its better than anything else on the market.

I tried it and it really does a great job absorbing oil, though I have not tried it under makeup yet. (I just started CSR and don't want to throw in a lot of new variables into my skincare and makeup routines.

Hope it helps. Also there is a thread on this on here.....look it up.

Guest TylerD

I saw your pictures and it doesnt look like you have any scarred pores at all....correct me if im wrong.

Anyways I use Lise Watier primer underneath my foundation and it goes on real smooth (well sometimes) Its only 24 bucks and lasts a long time. Its called List Watier Pore minimizing primer.

Oh and as for the last post, Im not trying to be rude its just My personal oppinion. I tried the Milk of Magnesia and it didnt do anything for my skin at all. Actually i just looked gross and felt gross on my skin. I wouldnt recommend it at all, but alot of people do use it so its all preference of corse.

Guest Sincerely_Me

FYI: Monistant Chafing Relief Powder Gel has the same ingredients as primers like Smashbox. SO, SO, SO much cheaper.

ive tried these 3..modelco face primer, la prairie rose illusion filler and now im onto clarins smooth line perfctor..the clarins 1 is great..

go to makeupalley.com to look at reviews... i love that site..

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

FYI: Monistant Chafing Relief Powder Gel has the same ingredients as primers like Smashbox. SO, SO, SO much cheaper.

I'd never heard of that so I did a search at makeupalley.com on the boards there. Apparently the women there are raving about it. I might try this since I've been wanting to try smashbox but the price was putting me off.

yer i like my aloe gel. I think it does make a good base for aloe gel. But only apply a little amount then you will very greasy at end of day. But i think it does a gud job in controlling oil :D