Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~TEPL0~

Bread Linked to Acne

They also point to the experience of the Inuit people of Alaska. Acne only appeared when people there starting eating a Western diet.

Is acne a western phenomenon? I believe it is, am I alone in believing this?

Off topic: Maybe the same can be said about cancer?

They also point to the experience of the Inuit people of Alaska. Acne only appeared when people there starting eating a Western diet.

Is acne a western phenomenon? I believe it is, am I alone in believing this?

Off topic: Maybe the same can be said about cancer?

I think you're right, jodiat. I believe that it's a western phenomenon and a problem in any other country that eats the way we do. I have read that in third world countries and other less-advanced populations, acne is a rare thing. It's simple to see that the reason is because they eat food in its most basic form. Their meat, bread, dairy, and other foods aren't processed in the same way that ours is. They get their food from local markets--from local people that don't pump their food full of chemicals. They don't sell much food that's supposed to be preserved for very long. I went to the Dominican Republic in elementary school and recall that there were no signs of acne. I won't argue that acne doesn't exist in other countries like this... I believe it's just less extensive.

It is true: in Papua Guinea for example acne simply doesn't exist and they would be shocked to see pimples ... it's simply something they have never seen and can't conceive ...

That's the data from an important cross-epidemiological study:

Incidence of acne in Western Countries

Adolescents

79% to 95%

Older than 25

40% to 64%

Middle aged

3% to 22%

Incidence of acne in non-western countries:

Adolescents

0%

Older than 25

0%

Arch Dermatol 2002 Dec;138(12):1584-90

While I was in thailand I never seen anybody with acne who lived outside of capitals and towns. Granted I didnt see many with it in the towns/cities but I did notice more westen style foods creeping into many towns. Fruit replaced by sweets, meat replaced by burgers, water/fruit juice replaced by sodas. Fried food was common tho, fried locus and meats.

When I went to Asia (poverty stricken areas) I also did not see much acne. In the bigger cities where Westernized diet was more common I noticed acne was more common as well.

Being there I ate their diet which did not include things like breads, dairy or much sugar. That was where for the first time my acne cleared up and I really saw the connection I failed to make for years.

Very interesting. Similar happened to me in spain, but back then I was under the influence diet had no relation to acne, ignorance was bliss for me then. Shame it took a few more years to realise.

im sure bread has some kind of effect on my acne. Its annoying because i sort of go through bursts of having lots of it (discovered some strawberry jam in the fridge!) and well..

Ok listen to me. I don't think BREAD is to blame, but how BREAD is made and ingradients in it. Look, in middle east, even afghanistan, girls and boys dont have acne, yet bread is their main dish. they FRY it in CANOLA OIL.

See, thats not the case. Unless you talking about WHITE, over processed bread with added processed sugar, then maybe. Believe me, many cultures eat bread, yet have no acne.

Honestly, I think gluten, and not the bread itself, is your problem. I've eaten gluten free bread that rises insulin levels just as quickly, but my acne has not worsened and just continued to get better.

But 98% of all bread comes from wheat, which is gluten heavy and 12% gluten by weight.

Most of you haven't travelled the world have you? Cultures have been eating breads, diary products, etc.. since we first became civilized. In fact bread and yogurt are two of the first foods that we ate other than straight raw foods.

Like someone said above, try going to the Middle east and seeing what they eat and drink. Thier tea that everyone drinks all day has like 4 tsp's of sugar per cup. Bread is thier main staple. In India, it's commoon to cook with dairy and refined sugar. In many asian countries, frying to the smoking point is common. They consume lots of iodine, etc...

The more you travel, the more you realize that generalizations don't work. You can't take an isolated culture like those in New Guinea and single out food as the factor in acne. Anyone with half a brain would know that there are massive differences in this culture and ours besides food. They exercise way, way more than we do. They aren't sitting around watching tv and on the computer. They probably don't have as much stress as we do. They are probably more family and comunity oriented, among other important psychological factors that affect stress and hormones. They have a fairly isolated gene pool so that could be a huge diference. There are many factors.

my family came from vietname(during the vietnam war)

i have to say, on my mother's side, there is not one single person with flawless skin(except my grandmother) and then my three uncles have some of the worst acne scarring i've ever seen, and my 7 aunts have flawed skin, but not that bad.

remember, they lived DURING and after the vietnam war, communism has taken over, their daily meals consist of rice, boiled vegetables, and maybe some boiled meats. also in vietnam, there are no refridgerators, so you go grocery shopping every morning, foods are extremely fresh and farm grown, i doubt there were much chemicals.

Yet my family still has skin problems.

This could be right but I don't understand why I quit bread for over a month while I was on a Candida diet and still had acne. I dunno maybe you need to eliminate bread for MUCH longer. It was already very hard to not eat it if you don't live life like most americans and eat out time to time.

I highly doubt there is a connection. For the past month i have been on a low carb diet, which means no bread, no sugar, no highly processed foods, and a few other things. I have noticed absolutely no impact on my acne, if anything it is a little worse.