Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dazzalabs

Back to the same state again

Hi all!

Hoping you could shed some light on this. From three years ago up until about nine months ago, I had a very consistent level of acne on my face. It then worsened and turned severe. Fine. Drugs sorted that. They always sort things. :D

But now, I'm back to that same old level of acne again, same number appearing each day, same number of active ones. The regimen and the Tetracycline reduced the severe acne, but now I seemed to have reached a plateau again. I've now been on the regimen for three months or so, the only difference from the actual regimen being a change to an electric shaver because of a huge breakout (the change cleared it). I'm also taking Minocycline 100mg before I go to sleep.

Since there have been very little changes and I'm very strict about my application of BP and moisturizer, what else could be causing the problem?

Thanks

Your acne may be more severe or persistent than the CSR can keep under control. Especially since it has been severe before.

What medications worked when you were previously in the severe stage?

p.s. I just looked at your signature, and it appears as though you are only 'spot treating' with the bp.

The CSR is all about using a generous amount of bp to kill present acne and prevent future acne.

Maybe you need to read back through the CSR instructions and watch the videos to get the hang of it.

http://www.acne.org/regimen.html

Also, read the Biggest Mistakes and see if you recognize any mistakes you may be making:

http://www.acne.org/biggestmistakes.html

What I got from the doc last time I went was: I should continue taking prescription drugs, and that the lifecycle of spots is a slowly decreasing curve, so eventually they'll die out. Perhaps they are just too persistent.

I fear I might be using too much BP (if there is such an amount), as I practically cover my finger in it. :)

The only significant point in the biggest mistakes I can see is the electric shaver. My doc did say to me that the chances are against me if I stay wet shaving, though.

As for the medications that worked at the severe stage, just Tetracycline 300mg once a day, which killed off the cystic acne, and then regimen after four months or so. The regimen started to kill off the little spots and seemed to help fade the red marks, but the plateau started about three weeks ago.

I've already read about stress related breakouts on this forum, but could it be that I have such consistent levels of stress or anxiety that it could be "sustaining" my consistent level of acne?

Or is just that my body is saying "You just wouldn't be you without a couple of ugly pustules f**king up your complexion" :D - You've probably guessed I'm trying to make light of it as best I can

hmm, lots of men here use regular shavers successfully, just an fyi.

It sounds like your acne has gone through cycles, and probably right now you are in a more severe cycle. Have you and your derm ever discussed Accutane?

If you have been using the CSR religiously, twice a day, etc. and you still have persistent acne, you may need to get out the big guns so to speak.

big guns

I had considered the "blow the pimples off with the Colt .45" treatment... but with all the new ones I'm getting, the bullets could get expensive. It does work, though, I tried it on my feet. Only problem was the lumps that I thought were acne happened to be my toes, so you have to be quite sure of what the lumps are before treating them. :lol:

Heh. Seriously, tho, I had considered the Accutane treatment, but didn't much like the sound of the possible side-effects. I know they're not common at all, but I wanted something safe and reasonably natural to "clean up" my face. Using BP and moisturizer wasn't an easy decision for me, either.

At a guess, looking at the range of treatments I've used over the past 10 years, it could just be they're so stubborn that leaving them to depart on their own might be the best course.

For now, though, I'll continue on the drugs and stick to the regimen, at least the new pimples grow and fade much faster than before, so they don't stick around too long. And I haven't developed any cystic acne since using the Tetracycline or the regimen. S'pose it was just a phase.

Thanks for the advice, Brandy. If anyone else has other suggestions, too... keep 'em coming!

Well, you already said you were using a lot of BP, but I suppose if you are tolerating it then adding in a bit more might help. Maybe you could try an extra 1/4 or 1/3 of a finger and see if that helps clear you up more?

Well, you already said you were using a lot of BP, but I suppose if you are tolerating it then adding in a bit more might help. Maybe you could try an extra 1/4 or 1/3 of a finger and see if that helps clear you up more?

Might be worth a go, since my tolerance is already up. It can't hurt to try. Thanks