Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alisa Lucente

Question about antibiotics and cysts help please :(

Ive been using differin for a few weeks now and i was informed by my doctor that i need to use minocycline to prevent infections on my skin and cysts. I will be starting minocycline in a few days. however i have 2 3 existing cysts one on its way, i was wondering if i started the antibiotic would it help get rid of the cysts without a cortisone shot?

Ive been using differin for a few weeks now and i was informed by my doctor that i need to use minocycline to prevent infections on my skin and cysts. I will be starting minocycline in a few days. however i have 2 3 existing cysts one on its way, i was wondering if i started the antibiotic would it help get rid of the cysts without a cortisone shot?

Think it might be a bit too soon for it to have a major effect, but it may help them from getting worse (and sooner also may help with prevent or cut back others that would come otherwise). I tend to find stuff like that helps preventative, but not really in helping them go down once they've arrived if that makes sense. Everyones experience is a bit different though, so good luck with it whatever.

I had a massive cyst on my face the first time I started on antibiotics.

I started on Minocycline, and it took a couple weeks for the cyst to flatten completely.

(and when I say massive, it had a diameter of about 2 inches. I could feel it under the skin covering the majority of my forehead) I would guess a smaller cyst would flatten sooner.

It can take up to 6 weeks to see full results though.

I took a 6 month break from antibiotics this past year, and then took them for 6 weeks before starting accutane. This round of antibiotics, a cyst on my chin cleared 4 days after starting.

The minocycline should also prevent the 'new' cyst from getting too large.

good luck!

~Becca

i have been on a high dose tetracykline now for 3weeks, i had a cyst under my skin thats been there a few months, its gone down alot in size but is still there... but i feel it will go away soon. (knock on wood) i also had one starting to develope when i started to eat the tetra, and i took maybe 2 weeks for it to grow huuuge so i went to the doctor to remove it, its still not completely healed but i feel the whole process goes faster then it would if i wasent on the antibiotics. the first month you should expect some initial breakout unfortunatly but after then it will clear up good. i started taking vitamin b5 at the same time and my chin now is 85% clear, which is my major problem area.

i think you will be fine and the antibiotics will probably deal with your cysts in time.

good luck!

The cyst that's on my face now was from Keflex...

I never got cysts from mino... but it didn't do anything either... just had the cysts I would have had sans antibiotics.