Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HeatherD

How to exfoliate while on the Regimen?

My skin does not necessarily get very dry and flaky, but I find that I don't get a very smooth makeup application unless I exfoliate a little less than twice a week. Are even the finest scrubs too irritating for the skin? If I rubbed very gently, does that make any difference? And then, I suppose if I can't use a scrub exfoliator, will AHA's achieve the same effect with continuous use? Because if we aren't supposed to irritate our skin at all, why are we even putting BP or AHAs on our faces when they, by their very natures, irritate skin??

Guest Michael Jackson

how long have you been on the regimen?

I've just started, you see. That's why I want to know ;) I don't want to jeapordize the regimen, but I can't seem to stay away from my loverly scrub!

Guest Michael Jackson

I would wait 3 months until you really add any other things in, this is coming from experience. I know you wanna try some new things, the regimen followed well + time = success.

There are plenty of daily exfoliating washes around. I use Witch exfoliating wash and it hasn't irritated me. Have a look at the product reviews section - there are loads.

Chemical exfoliation is probably the best way to exfoliate on the regimen. I used to use manual toothbrush exfoliation daily, but I've found that I need to physically exfoliate my skin much less often now that I've been using Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion at night (an 8% glycolic acid moisturizer). Also, taking a washcloth after you've washed your face with warm water and gently brushing off the flakes works well. Using a good scrub (not like St. Ives apricot or some other overly abrasive crap) once a week seems reasonable, but you should look into those other exfoliation methods I mentioned to reduce your need to use a scrub. The scrubby bits can get stuck in your skin, the other ingredients in the scrub can cause irritation, and use of the scrub can make your skin raw in a way that BP/AHA just can't, so you really should avoid using a scrub. If you do, be very gentle about it, make sure it's nonmedicated, use one with fine scrub bits, and be sure to rinse it all off your face.

hi heather,

your post inspired me to use my "Gentle" buf-puf sponge on my chin today. my chin is my only area of active acne, but it is in terrible shape: red/orangey discoloration, inflamed, and almost constantly painful, even though i use only a tiny amount of BP, and only at night. i actually started out using a toothbrush, like Kim, but for me, it felt not only too harsh/abrasive, but not thorough enough.

generally i use my buf-puf sponge every few days for my forehead & nose, but i always hesitate to use it on the chin for fear of irritation/breakouts. i have to say, it did an incredible job. i did it after my shower, in front of the mirror, so as to be extra gentle and precise. made sure both skin & sponge were wet first. afterward i applied the lotion i normally use at night, which has 5% AHA (see below -- the Kiss My Face one), and i have to say, my skin looks and feels amazing right now. still red, but that's from old acne. it is no longer inflamed or painful. actually refreshed, clean, smooth, soft, and soothed. seriously, all those things! i'm gonna continue to do this as needed (i'm guessing 1-2x per week). anyway, you might wanna check out these sponges... they come in Extra Gentle, Gentle, and Regular. i'd suggest starting out with the Extra Gentle by buf puf, but that one is usually tougher to find than the others, which you can get at walmart (i've seen tons of knock-off brands selling the "Gentle" or "Regular" kinds in other stores too, but imitation brands are often much rougher).

here are some amazon reviews for the Gentle one...

and here's Extra Gentle.

anyway, thank you for the inspiration to try this, because i'm really hopeful now, about the pain & inflammation, at least. i've been using them for years and years on the rest of my face, and personally, i love them :D

exfoliating on the regimen isnt really recommended due to less irritation being one of the main keys to success on the CSR.

My suggestion is simply dont exfoliate and if you have dry skin buildup on your face, gently massage your cleanser on that area in the shower.

then when you dry run the towel GENTLY over that area and you wil remove all the crap left over.

its what i do an it works really well.

Hey Clear Dream, thanks for the recomendation! I'll try no exfoliation for a bit and see if I can stand it. If I do go back I'll definitely look for those extra gentle ones. Looking at the package I realize I have some of those somewhere (I think my brother used them) but I'm not sure how gentle... I'll go on an expedition for them later :D

Thanks Dami4n. Usually I have more problem with flaky skin in winter (more dry obviously) and when it flakes, even rubbing with a damp wash cloth doesn't do much :( But I'll try to avoid exfoliating for a while.