Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alisa Lucente

QUESTION FOR SMOKERS - Smoking affect acne if you're not addicted?

My question is, if you're not addicted to smoking, does it affect acne/skin?

I've read that smoking suppresses your hunger, and if you quit, you eat a lot.

What if you’re not addicted and are an occasional smoker (smoke few times a week), if you stop completely, do you eat more?

I smoke whenever I feel like it, few times a week if I go out with friends, I did not smoke for about two weeks and I noticed that I started to eat more than I used to.

I know that it is harmful to your health, lungs yada yada.

Guest runnerB

i'd try diet/holistic health with this one

Has NOTHING to do with acne. however funny thing is all the kids here that smoke have perfect skin, I thought maybe smoking was good for skin at one point in my life.. But nah this does not affect acne at all.

What if you’re not addicted and are an occasional smoker (smoke few times a week), if you stop completely, do you eat more?

I smoke whenever I feel like it, few times a week if I go out with friends, I did not smoke for about two weeks and I noticed that I started to eat more than I used to.

Alisa,

I was smoking a pack and a half of cigarettes a day for 15 years. On January 10, '06 I tried the the laser smoking cessation treatment. Here I am 8 months later and I have yet to smoke. I had tried cold turkey and everything else for years and this treatment worked for me. I did want to quit and in doing so I did not gain any weight. I turned my smoking habit into a water habit. They recommended this, I carried water with me all the time. I even still carry a case of bottled water in the trunk of my car (I hate cold water).

As for the skin, yes, smoking ages the skin quite a bit. All the toxins you take in by smoking are affecting your skin. I am addicted to smoking and there are sometimes I miss it terribly. Once a smoker always smoker. I just happen to be a smoker that doesn't smoke anymore.

If you don't smoke everyday and it is just a social habit. It would be great for you to quit before it gets worse. Try eatting healthier, try water, chewing gum....what ever it takes but you will see if you make yourself aware of what you are eatting, you shouldn't gain weight at all.

Good Luck

Ang

can't say for sure if it has any effect on pimples but it definitely does try out and possibly irritate my skin.

You don't have to eat every time you have cravings. A glass of water and you should be good.

Three cigarettes was enough to tell me it wasn't for me. I think it definitely affects skin... I mean maybe it doesn't give you acne but it definitely makes your skin age faster. And no offense, but if you smoke even a few times a week... that's regular enough that you're probably forming (if not already have) an addiction. Like they said above... if you replace the habit with something that's healthy instead of something unhealthy you won't gain weight. Plus your body will thank you. I've heard of the water thing, also heard of carrot sticks or celery sticks. They're mostly water but they've got good stuff in them too!

hah. sorry I'm trying to quit too, but I smoke up to a half a pack a day. That makes me kind of dependent because i can't go a day without having one, and i think thats when it becomes an addiction. When you don't feel like yourself without a substance or activity. Cigarettes are reallllly good, and I don't think that they contribute to acne but definitely do not help. Some people have reported acne is worsened by cigarretts. They can make you feel dirty, but they're delicious. I'm gonna say that you could definitely stop and not have to replace it with anything, cus you said it yourself your not addicted so just stop. WILL it. if you've been eating more, you might just be hungry these days. im not sure that the quitting smoking eating thing is the same for everyone. when I try to stop for a couple of days, I don't even want to look at food, I freak out at everyone around me and definitely stress out and probably break out too.

Three cigarettes was enough to tell me it wasn't for me. I think it definitely affects skin... I mean maybe it doesn't give you acne but it definitely makes your skin age faster. And no offense, but if you smoke even a few times a week... that's regular enough that you're probably forming (if not already have) an addiction. Like they said above... if you replace the habit with something that's healthy instead of something unhealthy you won't gain weight. Plus your body will thank you. I've heard of the water thing, also heard of carrot sticks or celery sticks. They're mostly water but they've got good stuff in them too!

yeah ive been doing this for 4 years now..i want to quit but the habit has a good hold onto me :(. i crave it sometimes but thank god i can go days without a cig if i want.