Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

this is my philosophy. flat out, i know my life sucks right now. i'm a college student, lots of stress from school, i have no confidence, i am scared to ask girls out, i have no money, etc.

but i have adopted this attitude. i am praying that my life gets better maybe during my later twenties or in my thirties. maybe one day i'll be able to find a girlfriend and my social relationships, etc will get better.

so in the meantime, while life sucks and i realize that i'm wasting my life away (mainly because of self-consciousness, a curse).. i am trying to better myself so that in the future when i have a clear face and i have money i can enjoy it. i am trying to really do well at school and get my degree completed so i can get a good job and all of that in a few years. you know, it's like.. i don't want my life to finally change for the better, but then i have not done some things in my youth (like get my college degree) and then i can't get a good job and then my life would be ruined not by acne and shyness, but by financial stress, etc.

anyone know what i mean? kinda like sacrificing a few years of my life so i can have it better in the future. i know i'm kinda just babbling.

but this all falls through if i never clear up and all that stuff. like i know it sounds stupid but acne is the #1 detriment in my life right now. if i had 100% clear skin all of the time, i would be so much better. i would be able to develop my social skills and i would have confidence instead of having a fragile self image, etc. what if things never improve? oh god. that would be horrible. i don't want to be depressed and lonely for the rest of my life like i am now.

i have had acne for 10 years! i'm 23! it's like ok acne, i get the point! you have destroyed me completely.. now please. just go away. please. i thought i would have outgrown it by now. that was always my hope as a teen.. "well, at least i'll be clear by time i'm 21 or so and i can enjoy at least some of college".. BZZZZZt! YOu'RE F---KING WRONG!! it's still here. you're still depressed and lonely. aaah god why me.

im in basically the same pattern... i keep putting off having a great time in life. acne has limited me at work, school, and killed my social life ... i know people say that you should just "get over it" and live your life to the fullest anyways. IVE heard that so much and ive tried it so much, it never works out maybe im just too weak :-s

i know exactly what you mean.. and i think it's great you are trying to better yourself for the future, but what really matters is the present!! i think most of the people who have acne can totally relate to how you feel.. but just think about how when you were 13 you were praying that things woudl be better when you were 21.. and now you're 23 praying things will be better in your later twenties or thirties.... i mean, it's great to have a lot of hope for the future but what really matters is now and you should try not to waste your life away.... even if you woke up tomorrow with a completely clear face.. do you think you would all of a sudden become the life of the party and have all the confidence in the world? we all think that not having acne is going to cure us from what acne has caused us which is no self confidence and being shy... but it isn't going to work like that! gaining self confidence is something we have to build ourselves! i'm really sorry because i'm not trying to put you down at all!! i just don't want you to waste your life away now and thinking its going to be great when you dont have acne when you are older because you will regret it!!

i really hope things start getting better soon but even with acne you should realize you are an amazing person and i really hope your acne gets better but remember even if it does, building the confidence back will be the hard part because i promise even people whose face is looking better than ever still feel insecure about themselves because its sooo hard to get over losing your self esteem..

i hope i helped and please don't think i was telling you you are wrong because you aren't at all!! good luck

p.s. have you tried accutane or any creams or anything?

I'm in a situations similar to you dude. I'm 21 and have had skin problems since I was about 12. My junior year of college is about to start and I feel that my first two years were completely unproductive. In fact, first two years of college have been a repeat of high school-keeping to myself, not having much of a social life-you get the point. Throughout high school, I told myself that I will outgrow acne and college will be awesome. Well, here we are, and I feel like things haven't changed. I have two years left and really want to have a better college experience, even though I know it will be very hard for me to crawl out of my shell. I had scar treatments this summer and for some reason hoped that my face would dramatically change in time for the new school year, but that hasn't happened yet. Any money I make from my part-time library job at one of the libraries on campus has gone towards acne medication and scar treatments. I'm still hopeful about the future like you are, but I too wonder if this will ever end.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

Dude-

Don't put off what you can do today. SCREW those people that give you crap about your acne or whatever. Don't wait until 'later'. Trust me. Damn Ashley- I think I read somewhere you're still young yet you show lots of maturity in your post.

Again Botchla or anybody- Don't let some stupid people tell you bad stuff about your acne. Okay- and don't brush off or get mad at somebody because they make innocent comment about "hey..what happened to your face" or "hey why don't you use this..". Unless they call you names and stuff. Sometimes people are trying to be helpful. I know it doesn't sound or feel good sometimes, but better have people that care too much than people who don't give a crap about you.

Also- If you think you're alone, look at how many people registered to this website (granted give and take a few hundred for multiple aliases). Stilll, you are not alone. Go out there, meanwhile do what you can do...follow the regimen, improvise and customize to your needs, don't let one or two breakouts ruin your life.

Self-esteem problem affects everybody..yes...even those 'beatiful' people got their own confidence problem.

Go out there dude- you're still in college, young..etc...trust me. I'm not in a bad shape now, but If I could do some stuff in my past differently, I would do it in a heartbeat.

You always have this board to bitch about stuff if you feel like ranting. We all have gone or going through the same situation.

Obi.

listen. i know its hard and all. ive had acne since i was 11, i went to the dermatologist when i was 15.. she cleaned my face every month and i had to stick with her topicals for a couple of years. actually i still use a couple of her products now... acne ruined my life and now im looking for solution to my scarring...

it cliched but i do believe it all bout the attitude.. i look back to all that i have missed out on as a 13 yr old and i dont wanna have the same regret when in 25 or something. moreover, i dont wanna wake up when im 80 and discover that i am in love with acting but i never give it a shot cause im too shy, or i love partying but am too conscious about my scars.

acne actually made me discover that i am much more than a face. i am human, i have interests. i choose not to talk, walk and breath acne. yes, it does make me conscious at times an i hope to god i didnt have it... but i have several years to my life. we are much more than acne victims.

yeah, i'm also in the same boat. I'm 24 years old, and i've been battling with acne since i was 13. When i first started college i was hoping i'd clear and can have a normal life. The 2nd semester i used accutane and cleared up nicely and thought my normal life was within my grasp. Well, I was wrong broke out 3 months after I was done with Accutane and I even break out in parts I didn't break out before Accutane and have the permanent side effect of the dry lips. So now i'm still really anti-social, lonely, depressed and wishing for changes. To this date, still waiting for the day in which it will just stop. I will be having a consultation on Oct. 2nd to talk about NLite so i hope that might help.

-Caesar

this is my philosophy. flat out, i know my life sucks right now. i'm a college student, lots of stress from school, i have no confidence, i am scared to ask girls out, i have no money, etc.

but i have adopted this attitude. i am praying that my life gets better maybe during my later twenties or in my thirties. maybe one day i'll be able to find a girlfriend and my social relationships, etc will get better.

so in the meantime, while life sucks and i realize that i'm wasting my life away (mainly because of self-consciousness, a curse).. i am trying to better myself so that in the future when i have a clear face and i have money i can enjoy it. i am trying to really do well at school and get my degree completed so i can get a good job and all of that in a few years. you know, it's like.. i don't want my life to finally change for the better, but then i have not done some things in my youth (like get my college degree) and then i can't get a good job and then my life would be ruined not by acne and shyness, but by financial stress, etc.

anyone know what i mean? kinda like sacrificing a few years of my life so i can have it better in the future. i know i'm kinda just babbling.

but this all falls through if i never clear up and all that stuff. like i know it sounds stupid but acne is the #1 detriment in my life right now. if i had 100% clear skin all of the time, i would be so much better. i would be able to develop my social skills and i would have confidence instead of having a fragile self image, etc. what if things never improve? oh god. that would be horrible. i don't want to be depressed and lonely for the rest of my life like i am now.

i have had acne for 10 years! i'm 23! it's like ok acne, i get the point! you have destroyed me completely.. now please. just go away. please. i thought i would have outgrown it by now. that was always my hope as a teen.. "well, at least i'll be clear by time i'm 21 or so and i can enjoy at least some of college".. BZZZZZt! YOu'RE F---KING WRONG!! it's still here. you're still depressed and lonely. aaah god why me.

I have to say i'm with the people who are waiting for acne to disappear before i really start living my life- and i know some of you may diasgree with that kind of attitude, but to be honest, confidence is all about feeling good about yourself inside, and if you have serious acne then how the hell can you even possibly comprehend such a feeling?

Fair enough some people will argue that you have to build up your confidence now as even if you wake up tomorrow with clear skin then you will still have anxiety issues about your appearance. For me, that argument is weak is the strongest possible sense. A) It is wrong to infer that an individual would not be ecstatic about waking up with clear skin after having prolonged and persistent acne, as such a sharp transformation, has, at least to my knowledge, never been heard off, and thus cant be used as an example in an argument.

B) confidence is a reciprocal process. if you have a really healthy, good looking complexion then you will instantly get more attention from peers etc. as it is a biological trait of human beings to gravitate towards healthy individuals. Obviously if you have a condition like acne that is in a really noticeable arae of your body then its going to severly hinder your social interaction.

I guess im another passenger on this extremely large boat as well! i'm 22 and still counting the days untill things look better for me. i have wasted the last 4 years, started university, was there 6 motnhs and decided it wasn't for me (a combination of bad course and my skin) since then i havn't had a steady job due to the fact that i no my skin will go crazy again once i finish taking the course of accutane (on my 5th course now). i have an opportunity to go work the ski season in canada but its extremely hard to convince myself with my skin being what it is. its an amazing opportunity and really i shouldnt be thinkin twice about it but i guess you all know how that is!! lol you try and tell yourself to just suck it up and crack on but unfortuatley its never quite that simple. here's to hoping iv got the balls!!

its bullshit guys. people go through their whole lives waiting for things to be right before they feel they can start living. but life is what happens while you're planning your life. life is whats happening right now this instant

its like a kid in school who thinks that when hes out of the place and doesnt have to do what he's told then everything will be great. so he leaves school and suddenly recognises he wont be happy until he's left home with his controlling parents. then he leaves home and goes to uni or something and thinks to himself that when hes got his degree finished then he'll be happy. eventually he gets the degree and then realises he cant be happy until hes got a job. so he gets a job, starts at the bottom of the heap, still getting there..

so the years roll by and he postpones his 'life' postpones his happiness, just like we're doing now, until he gets engaged, gets married, starts buying a home, gets a better job, starts a family, gets the kids in school, owns his home, gets the kids out of school, retires, and then he carks it. and thats life. we can spend our whole lives waiting for a destination, when the only thing that really matters is the journey.

"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time" (Fight Club)

if its not acne when you are in your late 20s or 30s it will just be wrinkles, or fat, or something else. low self esteem is low self esteem and theres no getting around it. and before you know it you'll be 60 saying "when i get those new dentures..then i'll go out and have a good time". don't waste away, do it now.

I understand the whole "why wait live your life now" attitude and I agree. But sometimes it is so damn hard to not feel self-conscious about acne!

It also doesn't help when others are trying to "help" you by suggesting different things to try, or pointing out how bad your skin is. For example, the other day my mother and 4 or 5 of her coworkers started talking about my acne right in front of me. I felt like some sort of guinea pig or circus freak.

These are the little things that make it hard to face the world. You don't want to be constantly reminded that you have acne. It's like people think you don't see it!

botchla, I just wanted to show some support man because almost in the exact same position as you are. I'm in college too but I went from clear skin (all through teens) to severe acne and now all the red marks and scars. I know exactly how you feel and how hard it is to deal with sometimes. Sometimes I ask 'what the hell did I ever do to deserve this?' My self-esteem is completely destroyed but I've still got hope that things will get better in the future.

edit: I didn't realize that he posted in 2003.

dude.. i am in the same position as you.. i think in a position like ours.. u cant htink of things in terms of living through shit to feel good later.. because that specifically does not apply to your problems.. your problem is something internal.. your life is something ongoing. and the way u deal with those.. two things is very different. u have to live . end of story..deal with it.. as a human we are meant to existence until we die. that is our design. yet, your problem should not be looked at a scapegoat for your existence as it is now..simply because you feel as though this segment of life is bad BECAUSE of so and such. its really a whole slew of remaining factors that are actually in urgent need to b addressed. shit like this. problems such as these..can develope over 100 other symptoms. and its a task not unlike any other.. we must not dismiss it because it is internall.. your problem struggle wihtin yourself can b rather tangible. adress all your problems by writing them down. and systematically adress each and every one of them as best you can. most likely each one can b fixed. On a side note, as much as our culture loves to live and dress as old fashion, we our living in a highly advanced scientific generation. and you'd be surprised at how many psychiatrists, doctors, and motivational speakers have the answer for you.. waiting. Trust me that when u stare down a problem .. even as large as getting motivated in a direction other than your skin.. or your isolation, or how embarassed you think you feel amongst society.. its your job as a human.. a smart human . to sit down and adress your personal difficulties.. all anything is .. is difficulty because i am 100% sure.. each and every point u make on a piece of paper.. can get better for you. start to identify what it is that bothers you. and work it out of yourself.. or make it 10 x better. it can b done.. that should b motivaiton enough. goodluck and do look for answers. not at the problem

You know sometimes i feel like i just wanna hide myself in the house and never go back outside so no one will see my acne and how frustated i feel about it...i have had acne for over 6 yrs and in the past 3 yrs it has gotten really bad to the point where i stoped going to school because my make up no longer covered up my bumps and redness...i have tried just about all kinds of over the counter products you can think of and nothing has helped me, i also have been to 2 different dermatologists and they also didn't help me that much, so to me i felt like there was noting else i could do to make my acne go away, and that made me feel even worse than i ever felt before...but that was until i found this website and i started to learn a lot from other members and i decided to give Dan's regimen a try!!! So right now i decided to change my diet and i learned how to eat well and what products i should give a try!

Good luck with everything and don't let life pass you by :wavey:

we all think that not having acne is going to cure us from what acne has caused us which is no self confidence and being shy... but it isn't going to work like that! gaining self confidence is something we have to build ourselves!

Life doesn't get better by praying.

It gets better when you stick your neck out and not be afraid to get it bitten off, and learn that if reality doesn't adapt itself to you, then you adapt yourself to it.

I don't think we know for sure, Cursed. This thread was created in '03, and bumped up by another member. I do know lots of members have had varying success, though, with his regimen.

I don't think we know for sure, Cursed. This thread was created in '03, and bumped up by another member. I do know lots of members have had varying success, though, with his regimen.