Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~TEPL0~

Best way to figure out which foods cause acne for you?

I've seriously been dieting for like 5-6 years now. Acne became a little better, but I want to get to the bottom of this!

Everyone says different things about which foods cause acne. I guess it's different for everyone.

How do you know which foods cause acne?

Don't tell me "Wai's diet" because I got cysts from it.. Maybe it was the raw eggs, or maybe the high levels of sugar from fruit, or maybe high levels of fat from avocado...

That's the thing, it could be any one of those factors! How do I find out?

I would say a good way to figure out which foods cause your acne is to begin a diet which only includes foods that are known to be highly nutritious, but most importantly neutral when it comes to causing acne.

For example you could include rice in such a diet because for the overwhelming majority rice does not cause acne. A small number of people claim it causes their breakouts.

After a little while on this diet, which may improve your appearance, you could start to include foods that a lot of people around here say cause their acne, like white bread.

Or alternatively you keep your current diet and simply filter out known acne causing foods one by one and give it time to see if that food is the culprit. This way is easir to implement but not as accurate. It could give you a faster result though.

Not believe what people tell you, food has nothing to do.

most people on here would disagree, but honestly, after trying so many diets, I think that sleep and exercise has a much greater effect on skin than food.

Try getting tested for food allergies/intolerances. I'm getting tested the 15th :D I hope that through these tests, I can find out what causes my acne and eliminate it.

I think the best book on customized nutrition is The Metabolic Typing Diet. If you don't know your metabolic type, you are really just walking around blind as far as nutrition goes. I messed around with my diet for years too before I finally found metabolic typing which explained a lot of these strange things I was experiencing as well as cleared my skin 100%.

I've seriously been dieting for like 5-6 years now. Acne became a little better, but I want to get to the bottom of this!

Everyone says different things about which foods cause acne. I guess it's different for everyone.

Don't tell me "Wai's diet" because I got cysts from it.. Maybe it was the raw eggs, or maybe the high levels of sugar from fruit, or maybe high levels of fat from avocado...

I feel your pain. Hope you find something that works for you. If you try the metabolic thing as suggested by HealthDude, please update as to how it goes.

Looking at what is a common agrivator of acne for many ppl in this part of the forum might help you. Really depends on how harsh you can go. Can you live with giving up what you love? Do you need to give what you love up? Only person who can tell you or find out is you. There are basic diets jotted about in this part of the forum that will help you out, expanding on this diet to suit your needs might be your goal. That said if your goal to stop acne with diet means a radical change can you do it? I found this one of the hardest things to do in my short life. (even not eating for 10 days is easy compared to having to give up my sweet tooth - However after doing liver work my threshold for simple sugar is much higher so I can 'get away with it' if I wanted to)

EVen metabolic typing can be a little inaccurate. For example im a protein type and excess beef causes acne for me due to archodinic acid eventhough i require a lot of meat to feel my best. The best way to see if a food causes acne for u or not is eat lots of chicken and turkey to star out followed by non startcy vegetables. Aftera week start adding new fods 1 at a time to check for acne. Acne usually occusrs 24-48 hours after eating an offending food.

You need to get a journal and have some controls set in. By controls, I mean those things that stay constant with the experiment you are doing (like in lab in school). They you need to draw a table with main ingredients that your skin doesn't like. Then start off with a minimal diet. Do this for at least 2 weeks. Don't change anything else. Start adding stuff. When you get to the end (like nasty ass McDonald's or shitty Pizza), then you should know what your skin with react worse to. Some foods produce cysts and others produce regular pimples. Take this advice. I'm a pro.

:ninja:

You need to get a journal and have some controls set in. By controls, I mean those things that stay constant with the experiment you are doing (like in lab in school). They you need to draw a table with main ingredients that your skin doesn't like. Then start off with a minimal diet. Do this for at least 2 weeks. Don't change anything else. Start adding stuff. When you get to the end (like nasty ass McDonald's or shitty Pizza), then you should know what your skin with react worse to. Some foods produce cysts and others produce regular pimples. Take this advice. I'm a pro.

:ninja:

Yes, this is sound advice. You can diet ALL YOU WANT, but that doesn't mean it's going to clear your acne. If you're still eating foods you consider "healthy" but are actually bothersome to your skin, you're doing absolutely nothing. Definitely start a food log/journal. Fruits, veggies, fish, and rice (for most people) don't usually cause acne. Try going on a diet like this. Take a good multi-vitamin (Nature's Way, Alive! is the best I've encountered) and 3,000 MG of MSM daily along with your diet. You'll see results :)