Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fthea118

Hydroquinone + BP = That bad?

I really really really need to get rid of these dark marks, I am Asian and we produce a lot more melanin than our lighter-skinned counterparts. Hydroquinone has been proven to reduce the amount of melanin therefore "bleaching" the mark back to the original color. I've read that it can cause cancer if used in large amounts and often. I've also read that it may make your marks darker.. but only temporarily. If I "un-spot-treat" (basically apply BP everywhere EXCEPT for the dark marks that I want to take care of and just do this for about a week before I start SPOT TREATING with hydroquinone on the marks, can it be that dangerous? I have about 12-15 marks total that I wanna get rid of, so I plan on taking care of about 3-5 marks at a time so I don't break out too bad if it goes wrong.

You should NOT use bp and hydroquinone together. They will react and actually worsen your dark spots.

You can alternate them though, using bp at night, and the hydroquinone during the day (or vice versa). But they should never be on the skin at the same time.

Also, for dark spots, have you considered alpha hydroxy acids? Alot of us here use moisturizers with some AHA in them to help resolve they hyperpigmented areas quicker.

^ So they just can't be in contact with each other right? I'm thinking about doing the alternating thing. I am using an AHA right now, but I can't even tell if it is working and its been over a month.. what % hydroquinone do you recommend that is safe? I'm thinking about buying the Proactiv Skin Lightening Lotion.

honestly, I would not know what to recommend. It seems I used some Banishing lotion stuff (this was YEARS ago). Every since then, I've stayed away from hydroquinone, especially as I am a die-hard bp user.

You might ask in the red marks forum for brand names and percentages.