Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigy

Acne & Hair Colour

Whn I was younger, I had bleach blonde hair, up until the point I hit puberty when gradually it started getting darker and darker. I never really thought much of it at the time and just put it down to nature. To try and combat my Acne I took B5 for a long period of time a few years ago. It worked wonders on drying up my skin, but another thing I noticed was that it slowly turned my hair back from the dull brown it had become to the brilliant blonde it was when I was younger.

I'm wondering whether my hair turning from blonde to dark brown was due to the excess sebum excreted by my skin, or by some other action, e.g. excess melanin causing by adrenal problems. Whatever it was B5 seemed to return it to normal.

Anyone else noticed a change in their hair colour with the onset of acne?

Thanks

Craig

I don't think so. People who have dark hair their whole life still get acne. Your hair darkens naturally as you age. I was a "toehead" blonde as a child and it slowly got darker... now it's dark or "dirty" blonde. You are probably doing something else differently to make your hair turn blonde again... being in the sun, swimming in a chlorinated pool--these all affect my hair color. Most blondes find their hair is lighter in the summer than in the winter. If you haven't been doing anything I'd be a little worried about why the B5 did that to your hair... if my hair suddenly changed colors without any provocation I'd be afraid.

I'm wondering whether my hair turning from blonde to dark brown was due to the excess sebum excreted by my skin, or by some other action, e.g. excess melanin causing by adrenal problems. Whatever it was B5 seemed to return it to normal.

Thanks

Craig

Not much is known about this and no know is interested in funding studies on the subject but my empirically observation is that there's a correlation among hormonal levels and melanin concentration.

And believe it or not this effects the iris as well, certain diet changes are known to either darken or making lighter the iris pigmentation. Vonderplanitz has been one of those who have noticed this and also parents of children on special diet for seizures of autism symptoms.

Anyway I notice how certain people despite what their parents look like develop thick eyebrows as they grow while other people even if they have darker skin or dark hair keep the same sparse short light hair eyebrows they used to have as children. Since for example it is known that diet/lifestyle and the hormonal response due to it make a difference on how even face bones and muscle develop (non-western non-starving population who are free of acne have kids who develop harmoniously without growth spurt and what face features don't change in an abrupt manner "super long chin, flat cheeks, long jaws, short forehead, long nose")

The last I can say is that I have observed radical hair color change in people who have never dyed their hair, like turning suddenly light or turning suddenly darker and turn again darker or lighter and I had thought before that there must a connection with diet, lifestyle and hormonal levels (I'm not talking about summer time when the sun bleaches the hair making them lighter)

The dogma about genes determining the whole structure, color, shape of the hair making external factors impossible to change, it is just that ... a dogma and an unproven theories. Serious genetists nowadays who are tired of the hype and exaggeration about what's known and true about genes are saying that what is known about genes and genetics leads to the conclusion that they can't control anything without an external factors, in other words they don't determine but predispose and external factors can ALWAYS change what the genes predispose

Whn I was younger, I had bleach blonde hair, up until the point I hit puberty when gradually it started getting darker and darker. I never really thought much of it at the time and just put it down to nature. To try and combat my Acne I took B5 for a long period of time a few years ago. It worked wonders on drying up my skin, but another thing I noticed was that it slowly turned my hair back from the dull brown it had become to the brilliant blonde it was when I was younger.

Thanks

Craig

I think you're just looking for patterns that have nothing to do with acne.

My hair:

Blonde -> dirty blonde (4 yo) -> light brown (9 yo) -> dark brown (12 yo) -> starting to grey (16 yo)

Not sure how grey I am, I've been dying it for the past 2 years (22 yo now)

I think you're just looking for patterns that have nothing to do with acne.

My hair:

Blonde -> dirty blonde (4 yo) -> light brown (9 yo) -> dark brown (12 yo) -> starting to grey (16 yo)

Not sure how grey I am, I've been dying it for the past 2 years (22 yo now)

Yeah my roommate is starting to grey... she's 18.

craigy, I agree with you in part. I too noticed the sme thing about my hair going darker as I got more acne. However I've never taken b5 in large doses.

I'm sure there's a connection but I can't say what it is. My hair used to be brilliant blonde. Not even a hint of ever being brown, right up until the point that my skin started producing too much sebum and caused me cystic acne.

My hair gradually started to get darker, and darker. Initially it was just at the end of the day and as soon as I washed all the excess sebum that had accumulated over the day off it, it would be light blonde again, but gradually something was turning it darker and it went from blonde to a light brown and then to a dark brown, even after washing. My face always had a slight sun tanned tone to it, but again I put it down to sebum.

Frustrated by Acne I turned to B5 megadosing. It did wonders for my skin, but the suprising effect was that my hair began to turn lighter again. Initially I thought it was down to the fact there was less sebum on my hair accumulating during the day, but it wasn't just that. My hair actually became a brilliant blonde again after a few months. My skin town also went slightly paler than it was before, but I was clear and dry as far as sebum goes.

I'm now off B5 due to the negative side effects that hit me, i.e. excessive sweating, heat intolerance and male pattern baldness. As the sebum production has increased, brining my Acne back, my hair has gradually got much darker again and my skin has developed it's tanned look again, but not quite to the extent it had before B5.

I'm 100% certain that my natural hair colour should be brilliant blonde, and the same thing, whether directly or indirectly responsible for my acne is also responsible for darkening my hair, turning it to a dull brown.

There has been talk that B5 is responsible for production of adrenal hormones, so one of the many actions it could have been correcting was Addison's Disease. Generally though the endocrine system is responsible for hormone production and regulation so I think something somewhere, adrenal, thyroid, pituitary, etc, has got upset and is partly responsible for this change in hair colour and oily skin and acne.

Cheers

Craig

Wow. You may be onto something there. I used to have blonde hair and now that I have more acne, it's turning brown. Maybe I'll try b5. I dunno though.

I really don't think there's any connection. It's very typical for people with a mixed European decent, with at least some of it germanic, to start blonde and change to brown. Just because that change to brown happens to coincide with puberty does not mean there's a connection.

In my mind there's definitely a link, and it's not just that the excess oil is making my hair look darker, otherwise it would return to blond when I wash it, but my actual hair colour itself changes. The fact that B5 restored my hair colour to blond makes me think theres a link even more!

I've just found this on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanin

To summarise, there are two different types on Melanin that control hair / skin colour. Eumelanin is generally responsible for brown to black hair colour, while Pheomelanin is responsible for red to blond/e hair colour.

The quoted pathway in the creation of these two types of Melanin are:

The first step of the synthetic pathway for both eumelanins and pheomelanins is mediated by tyrosinase:

Tyrosine → DOPA → dopaquinone

Dopaquinone can combine with cysteine by two pathways to benzothiazines and pheomelanins

Dopaquinone + cysteine → 5-S-cysteinyldopa → benzothiazine intermediate → pheomelanin (blond/red hair)

Dopaquinone + cysteine → 2-S-cysteinyldopa → benzothiazine intermediate → pheomelanin (blond/red hair)

Alternatively, dopaquinone can be converted to leucodopachrome and follow two more pathways to the eumelanins

Dopaquinone → leucodopachrome → dopachrome → 5,6-dihydroxyindole-2-carboxylic acid → quinone → eumelanin (brown/black hair)

Dopaquinone → leucodopachrome → dopachrome → 5,6-dihydroxyindole → quinone → eumelanin (brown/black hair)

Going on the above, I think B5 restored my blond hair colour by either inhibiting the production of eumelanin, or promoting the production of pheomelanins. The opposite thing must have occured in the first place to naturally turn my hair from blond to brown when my oily skin and acne started.

I'm going to try supplementing with Cysteine (NAC) to see if that helps as it seems to aid in production of pheomelanin. I know the body can produce it's own Cysteine so B5 may have indirectly been responsible for elevating Cysteine levels to compensate for the increased B5 levels so it could produce CoEnzyme A.

All interesting stuff, a lot of guesswork, but as I said I'm sure there's a link somewhere!

Cheers

Craig

I'm still not sure how this all relates to Acne and Oily Skin, but I remain convinced there's some link there. Will keep people updated if and when I find out more!

I really don't think there's any connection. It's very typical for people with a mixed European decent, with at least some of it germanic, to start blonde and change to brown. Just because that change to brown happens to coincide with puberty does not mean there's a connection.

but graigy is saying that their hair are turning back to their original child color, which doesn't suggest an irreversible darkening because of age. I've said it before, when we observe something we can't discriminate what it is: we know that certain things happen to teenagers but we can't really discriminate if that is supposed to begin by nature or it is just what happen to teen who have been children following a certain lifestyle/diet

Serious researchers are aknowledging this (for example it's absolutely unknown whether diabetes is inherited genetically or through the same lifetyle/diet that made the parents diabetics on the first place) ... I wouldn't be that surprised if we found out that even change in hair color as we grow are influenced by our lifestyle, because so far it's only a speculation that the increase in melatonin is a natural occurring event ... they just see it occurring and assume it is supposed to ... but they don't really know

it's a bit like the losing sight belief, that as we get older we "naturally" lose sight and by the time we're 40-50 we all need glasses to read, but William Bates found this not to be true and that the degeneration of the small vessels surrounding the eyes is not a "natural" fact. In fact non-western population are known to have perfect sight even in their 60. In a way the whole "aging degeneration" who are thought to be unavoidable and to be endured by everyone who grow old, are not natural events at all and caused by unnatural degeneration of the body

Thanks

Craig

Thanks

Craig

Craigy, I was just wondering how much B5 you took each day. I also wonder how much is necessary to take each day if I just want to lighten my light brown hair back to the natural light blonde shade it was when I was younger. Thanks!

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

In caucasians I believe there is a correlation between blonde hair and acne on average. I think there is a study to support this. I'm the only person with blonde hair in my family and my acne is the worst, and I also see many natural blondes with skin problems.

I believe that genes are the most significant factor. The susceptibility to acne is genetic.

Edited by sverd