Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alisa Lucente

Did drinking excessive water have a dramatic effect on your skin?

Just wondering if you started drinking more water than before ... 2 Litres and up... how much did it affect your skin and could you notice the result? also how long did it take.. Thanks. just curious

it helped prevent breakouts for me.. I think it did atleast..

but lately I've been lazy and stopped doing it but I just hate drinking so much! It's annoying.. but I keep reminding myself.. that it's worth it and to contine doing it..

I became a water addict ever since I learned about the benefits.

I used to drink a bottle every day, and guzzle down a gallon [ straight from the bottle ] sometimes.

I'm not sure if EXCESSIVE water might be good, but probably following the recommended amount of water intake is good.

I became a water addict ever since I learned about the benefits.

I used to drink a bottle every day, and guzzle down a gallon [ straight from the bottle ] sometimes.

I'm not sure if EXCESSIVE water might be good, but probably following the recommended amount of water intake is good.

yea but did you see any dramatic changes in your skin?

I went a few weeks with drinking 4 liters of water a day. Nothing happend. Now I drink about 2 liters a day(which is the amount your suppose to have anyway)

For about a month now, I've been drinking approximately 70-100 oz of water per day, and my skin has improved drastically. I've always had moderate acne, and the pimples would leave hyperpigmentation (I'm African American). The discorations would literally take at least 6 months to fade. Ever since I started drinking tons of water, my skin is much smoother and brighter. I don't break out as much and my discolorations have been fading extremely fast.

Just wondering if you started drinking more water than before ... 2 Litres and up... how much did it affect your skin and could you notice the result? also how long did it take.. Thanks. just curious

hey alisa-

about nine months ago i started drinking a gallon of water a day...and its amazing how much better you feel, and how your skin rarely gets dry. the texture of my skin improved so much, and i think it also helped with scarring. now that im on accutane, it is dry no matter what, but previous to this treatment, it worked so well. i know a gallon sounds like a lot, but work up to it...anywhere between 100-128oz should do the job. another thing too, that i did, was take out any other drinks..such as sodas, coffee, etc. for the most part-occasionally ill have coffee or something, but it really does alot for your skin to stay away from sugared drinks, or at least thats how i feel!

-kristen

awesome guys thanks for the replies..

ive been tryin to drink 2 litres a day its sort of hard since i forget. but wow 1 gallon is a lot!! that would be nearly 4 liters (8 bottled waters) :o good job! im going to try that.

how long did it take for the results ?

I just read a book by makeup artist Bobbi Brown and she suggested squeezing lemon juice into your water to help you drink more of it. As soon as I buy a lemon I'll try it :D I don't think water is some kind of cureall, or that drinking tons of it will clear your skin (you can only use so much of it, the rest will simply be excreted!), but I think not drinking enough water probably does negatively effect people's skin. 2 litres is probably plenty when you consider that you get some of your water from other things you're eating/drinking.

Drinking too much water is not recommended. It's supposed to "flush the system" of toxins but the toxins come out when you pee anyway, regardless how much you drink. Drinking too much water also flushes out minerals like zinc, important for healthy skin. Better to avoid consuming anything that dehydrates you like caffeine and alcohol and just stick to the recommended 1 - 1.5 litres of fluid.

Drinking too much water is not recommended. It's supposed to "flush the system" of toxins but the toxins come out when you pee anyway, regardless how much you drink. Drinking too much water also flushes out minerals like zinc, important for healthy skin. Better to avoid consuming anything that dehydrates you like caffeine and alcohol and just stick to the recommended 1 - 1.5 litres of fluid.

I dont believe thats true..water does not have effect on flushing out any minerals/vitamins...

how would you know this?

I dont believe thats true..water does not have effect on flushing out any minerals/vitamins...

how would you know this?

Sure it does. It's called diffusion or osmosis... I'd explain in detail but I've already done that in other topics. Basically what happens is if you have too much water you can create an imbalance of certain electrolytes that facilitate the chemical reactions in your brain that keep you running, because pretty much your cells are like plastic bags with little tiny holes in them... if you put the bag inside a bunch of water it will fill with water, and what happens is the concentrations of stuff in the bag inside and out balance. If there's too much water the good stuff can come out because the concentration outside is low so it lowers the concentration inside. Too much water is bad, but it's hard to get too much. 2-3 litres per day is PLENTY. 4 is probably overdoing it unless you're exercising. Drink enough so that your pee is clear or only lightly tinted, and no more. That's the best approach.

Drink a liter of artesian water every day. That's all you need. It's not the amount of water but the quality! You'd be surprised what pure water can do for your body.

Drink a liter of artesian water every day. That's all you need. It's not the amount of water but the quality! You'd be surprised what pure water can do for your body.

Not sure what "artesian" water is... but drinking pure H20 (deionized or distilled water) is bad for you. It can exacerbate the effect I described above in my last post.

i tried it for about 2 weeks... and honestly didn't see much of a change. though there is nothing wrong with consuming excessive amounts of water, in fact you'll probably stay healthier because of it.

Not sure what "artesian" water is... but drinking pure H20 (deionized or distilled water) is bad for you. It can exacerbate the effect I described above in my last post.

Artesian water is water from a well. Pure and simple.

I'm not a big fan of drinking ground water in this day and age... with all the stuff that sinks down there from the ground there's no way to know (without testing it) how safe it is.

I'm not a big fan of drinking ground water in this day and age... with all the stuff that sinks down there from the ground there's no way to know (without testing it) how safe it is.

But you know how unsafe tapwater is! In fact, they blatantly admit to putting all kinds of poisons in it. From fluoride to arsenic ... none of that stuff could be good for your skin.

I have had mild to modorate acne for quite a while (years). I've been on multiple acne treatments: cleocin, doxy, TC, retin-a, BP, mino, sal-acid, and every combination. I have had no success with any. I've been offered accutane multiple times (have refused - acne is not that bad).

The only thing that has helped me thus far is:

-dropping caffeine altogether - quit cold turkey

-drinking ONLY water - maybe a small glass of milk 2-3 times a week with a dinner - just for a little something different.

- changing my diet - cut out sugar heavily and started eating healthier.

- running.

Out of all of those things, I believe that drinking water has helped the most. I've worked in a pharmacy for years and have been associated with pharmaceutical companies and the industry for a long time - so as a man with a heavy science background I kind of sheepishly admit it. Since I've cut out the pop (never drank coffee) I feel much better and my skin has cleared drastically from what it was. Of course, I still continue to have oily skin but my acne is FAR less than what it was. I was at a wedding a couple months ago and got comments on just how clear my skin has looked since they saw me last. You can imagine how happy I was to hear it. Even my doctor has commented on my skin (and this was for a routine doctor visit, about 8-9 months post unsuccessful treatment).

I can't say this works for everyone, but I can tell you that it honestly has worked very well for me. Besides the acne, there are other numerous benefits:

- weight loss

- better for your teeth/breath

- much better at hydrating

- plus you just feel better overall. I used to drink cola/pop/soda a lot (3-4 cans a day, at least) and now I might have one once a month. Personally, after having switched, I actually prefer it!!

If not for your acne, then for your health! I am a huge advocate of drinking water.

Yes but at least with tap water all cities publish reports of how the water is treated and which chemicals and minerals are in the tap water and in what concentrations. I'd rather ingest a small concentration of fluoride than an unknown concentration of sulfuric acid, mercury, and lead.