Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone, I've been lurking around these boards for awhile now and finally decided to register. I don’t even know how to start but I live everyday dreading every second. It’s been like this for a few months now and I’ve pretty much given all hope that this would all go away some day. I really can’t pinpoint the source of how I got to feel this way but acne does play a big factor. Even as I type this, it’s Friday night and here I am hiding alone in my basement hoping that I don’t have to deal with tomorrow.

It hasn’t always been like this though. I have a great supportive family that loves me but ever since junior high I’ve suffered from mild to severe acne. At first I didn’t let it affect me since I thought it would come and go away. Of course it hasn’t and I cannot even recall the amount of different acne products I’ve put on my face. I’m now 21 and last year I dropped out of college because I simply couldn’t focus in class. I even left my full time job this week because I’ve pretty much lost my will and passion to live.

Now most people who meet me for the first time would never guess that I’m suffering from depression. Heck, I doubt even my family knows about it at this point but I do try hide away my pain from them everyone because I have four younger siblings who look up to me.

Outside of my family, I really have nothing to live for. I never had many friends and it didn’t help that after high school we all went our separate ways. I can only say I have 1 good friend at this point who’s always there for me but knows nothing about what I’m going through at the moment.

I always feel the need to hide myself from family, friends or just the general public. It’s hard to go out there when it feels like everyone is having the time of their life. At this stage I just can’t enjoy life like I once did. Even w/o many friends at one point I was able to appreciate the little things like reading, exercising, listening to music, driving my car, surfing the web but none of this matters to me no more since in the back of mind I’m constantly thinking how different my life would be w/o my acne.

-matt

Hey everyone, I've been lurking around these boards for awhile now and finally decided to register. I don’t even know how to start but I live everyday dreading every second. It’s been like this for a few months now and I’ve pretty much given all hope that this would all go away some day. I really can’t pinpoint the source of how I got to feel this way but acne does play a big factor. Even as I type this, it’s Friday night and here I am hiding alone in my basement hoping that I don’t have to deal with tomorrow.

It hasn’t always been like this though. I have a great supportive family that loves me but ever since junior high I’ve suffered from mild to severe acne. At first I didn’t let it affect me since I thought it would come and go away. Of course it hasn’t and I cannot even recall the amount of different acne products I’ve put on my face. I’m now 21 and last year I dropped out of college because I simply couldn’t focus in class. I even left my full time job this week because I’ve pretty much lost my will and passion to live.

Now most people who meet me for the first time would never guess that I’m suffering from depression. Heck, I doubt even my family knows about it at this point but I do try hide away my pain from them everyone because I have four younger siblings who look up to me.

Outside of my family, I really have nothing to live for. I never had many friends and it didn’t help that after high school we all went our separate ways. I can only say I have 1 good friend at this point who’s always there for me but knows nothing about what I’m going through at the moment.

I always feel the need to hide myself from family, friends or just the general public. It’s hard to go out there when it feels like everyone is having the time of their life. At this stage I just can’t enjoy life like I once did. Even w/o many friends at one point I was able to appreciate the little things like reading, exercising, listening to music, driving my car, surfing the web but none of this matters to me no more since in the back of mind I’m constantly thinking how different my life would be w/o my acne.

-matt

Hey, welcome to the board. Just know that you aren't alone in your feelings, and you will have much support here. Don't hide, because that's how acne will beat you. Even though I have ugly scarring on my face, I try to get out as much as possible, show people my personality instead of my looks. I know it's hard to enjoy things, but you can do it.

-Sarah

Same thing, I have alot of anger, but i dont show it so no one I know really knows. Its hard to come out of it, but hey atleast you have a nice family and 4 nice sibllings, having that would be a good start for me..

dropped out of school and quit work? i think your family has suspicions.

plus you just cant do that shit. You think your the only person with skin conditions? You still have to be a responsible adult

awww man dont quit college just because of your face.

COLLEGE is suppose to be the funniest time of your life.

Guest tvirus_outbreak

awww man dont quit college just because of your face.

COLLEGE is suppose to be the funniest time of your life.

Well it's not exactly going to be fun when you're hiding from everyone because of acne.

Thx guys, I hope I didn’t come across as pathetic looser. I know I’m not the only one suffering from this. I am fortunate for everything I have and I know that it could be A LOT worse. I just need to break off the habit of living my life asking “what if..?� and just learn to accept it and make the best out of it. It’s just a lil hard right now when nothing seems to going your way.

At this point I just feel I need a complete change of environment. I've pretty much been givin' everything up to this point and maybe I feel a lil too secure w. stayin' at home. There's been many times I would be invited to go somewhere but I always felt safer stayin' at home and not having to show my face in public.

I can totally relate to NYMJT's thread about giving advice but not being to apply it to myself. It all comes down to execution but I can never follow through. I've already set all these mental blocks placed my head that I cant break from all these years.

Thats the funny thing about depression is that a lot of the time you can hide it from people by trying to act like you are okay, yet people don't really know how much you are hurting inside. I respect that the fact that the influence you make on your younger siblings is important in your life.

Hold on with everything. I've also suffered from depression as well and I know it's tough but it is definetly possible to break through it all.

get active and see a doctor to get a recommendation. I dunno why you posted an avatar of yourself that looks clear, but how long ago was that pic, if you acne is severe?

So how long have you had it? Because I had that severe acne and I held it all in for all these years, and it screws you up real bad. im ORDERING you you do somehting about this before it creates irreparable damage

good luck, its a shame about college, but maybe you can reapply, college, can make you or break you., right now you need something to push you socially

cool. another t-dot rep.

i've been in your shoes dude. things will get better...just keep doing your best to treat it.

if you don't have a derm, i recommend dr. wekbserg for help.

get active and see a doctor to get a recommendation. I dunno why you posted an avatar of yourself that looks clear, but how long ago was that pic, if you acne is severe?

So how long have you had it? Because I had that severe acne and I held it all in for all these years, and it screws you up real bad. im ORDERING you you do somehting about this before it creates irreparable damage

good luck, its a shame about college, but maybe you can reapply, college, can make you or break you., right now you need something to push you socially

yea, my avatar is actually pretty old. 6 years to be exact. at that time it started out pretty mild. these days i still get some new pimples here and there but my main problem is all the physical damage it has left behind. I have a bunch of bumps of my nose that haven't left for years. I also have a bunch of scars and redmarks on my cheeks and neck that never seem to heal. :(

I know I need a complete change of attitude if I want to overcome this myself. I keep tellin' myself that I will grow out of it eventually but instead of waiting for that time to come I need to make use of my time now. I'm a firm believer that I only live once and I hope that one day I don't have to look back at all this and regret all this time I've wasted doing nothing.

cool. another t-dot rep.

i've been in your shoes dude. things will get better...just keep doing your best to treat it.

if you don't have a derm, i recommend dr. wekbserg for help.

thx, i do have a derm but i haven't been back for awhile now. where is your derm located? I'm glad you have been able to turn things around from reading your other thread. it's nice to see a fellow member overcome the same battle. :clap:

Yes, hiding makes you feel less noticeable, but it can make you become more distant. Would you rather be distant or be social(evee with acne)? Yah, i can't really answer this question properly myself. It's just a question I ask myself from time to time. Life sucks, but it's a good thing your family totally supports you. My family is all spread around because of a painful seperation, so I technically don't have anyone to talk to about this problem.

I just want to tell you that i know exactly how you are feeling - I have had acne for 15 years, at times mild, at times severe. I know that feeling of wanting to hide from the world, of being depressed.... But you just have to know that there is something out there that will help you.... We have all tried every medication out there, etc... but what are you currently using? Have you posted any other threads asking advice in the other forums? I have found that the members on this site are very supportive and knowledgeable, and will help you....

I feel the same way. my acne is mild to moderate, and not as bad as some people's, but it really affects my confidence. I don't want to go out because it's so stressful having to face everyone.