Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ylem

How do u know when scars are 'bound down'?

I spoke with my derm surgeon today and he said my left cheek scars aren't bound down by connective tissue? I used to always think they were. He thinks only a filler w/out subcision will do. It really seems like this guy is honest and doesn't want to take my money. I appreciate that about him, but I am just confused on how u can tell this.

My doctor IS suggesting I ONLY do fillers, not subcision too. If I trust his judgment and he makes a mistake, I am left with a "donut" effect where the filler goes into the areas surrounding the 'bound doen' scar, making the scar far more noticeable. This is a common mistake and does happen. Basically, I am supposed to just trust the fact that my scars aren't bound down unless I go get a second opinion elsewhere which is what I might do.

Maybe he doesn't have any experience doing subcision. If he said you should do it but said that he couldn't because he hasn't done it before then you'll go to a different doc. He loses money... Get a second opinion from a doctor you know has done it before.

No he does have experience with subcision. He just says I don't need it. I am thinking about either going for it or getting a second opinion, but right now it wont matter because I'm in between jobs and just spent 800 on the 10 excisions.

I had excisions on my temples only. He classified the scars he excised as 'thinned out atrophic' scars. I suppose they were of the boxscar type. I had about 10 of them. Right now, things are looking a little better since I had my stitches removed Friday. I can still see indentation in the light where the scars were cut out, but if I stare at the area real closely in the mirror I can see stitched marks where the indentations are. I HOPE it is caused by the stitches and not indentation that will remain. In a month things should look their best (at least that's what the word is around here for those who have undergone excisions).

Hi,

I have read on this board that if the scar dissapears when you stretch it, it is not bound down. Do yours dissapear when you stretch them?

ylem - have him do a round of restalyne on the scars and you will be able to see if they fill up. Have him do the injection very slowly so you can stop if you begin to notice the donut effect. If you do notice it, the restalyne will disappear in a few months and you can move on the the subscisions with filler.

Dan