Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redsquirrel

breaking out when using new razor blades

Everytime i change my razor blade to a new one, i seem to always got a breakout. Most of the time its on my lower cheek/jawline. Whilst i can't say 100% thats whats causing it, its quite weird it seems to occur a few days after the new razor has been used.

I dont know why? most the time it only happens on the left side of my face - for some reason the hair is a lot harder to shave than my right side. How could a new razor do this?

I'm not a guy, but I notice I get the worst irritation on my legs with new blades too! I think it's because when the "conditiong strip" is new it's more potent and it has an irritant in it that dissolves after it's been used for a while. What do you think of that theory? Maybe we should try soaking the blades in water before we use them.

Have you tried different shaving creams or different razors? I use edge active care shaving cream, the green stripe, and it works great for me, and i've noticed single blade razors are just as good if not better than the multiple blades.

I'm not a guy, but I notice I get the worst irritation on my legs with new blades too! I think it's because when the "conditiong strip" is new it's more potent and it has an irritant in it that dissolves after it's been used for a while. What do you think of that theory? Maybe we should try soaking the blades in water before we use them.

I've also always been suspicious of the "conditioning strips" and would rather that the shaving cartridges not have them. But most of the high end cartridges do. And I've never seen replacement cartridge packaging which discloses just what goes into those strips, which--after all--dissolve and spread over your skin as you shave. One can only hope that they are non-irritating & noncomedogenic, but who really knows.

Have you tried different shaving creams or different razors? I use edge active care shaving cream, the green stripe, and it works great for me, and i've noticed single blade razors are just as good if not better than the multiple blades.

I have used several shaving creams, all with different types of things in them like aloa vera, tea tree, etc

I mainly just use Gillete Mache 3 cartridges. I tried Excel before but i seemed to get a big breakout which was strange as most people reccomended them. This was a while back though.

I will keep a look out for this edge active care shaving cream..

Also, shmelis - im really not sure - i dont really know what the strip does - i always assumed it was just an indicator of when you should just the blades.

Also, shmelis - im really not sure - i dont really know what the strip does - i always assumed it was just an indicator of when you should just the blades.

The strips usually contain aloe vera and lots of other ingredients that supposedly lessen irritation from gliding the blade over your skin. Really cheap razors don't have them. I use the Gillete 3 (Venus is the equivalent for women) and I know that's got something in it. Probably a combination of aloe, soap, and sme other stuff.