Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Steve321

For Those of you who dare Experiment with Scar Revising Tech

Steve, I am using the regular peptides and the emu oil. I'm just using the Neosporin on top of those things.

Maya....no way, Jose'. That won't work at all. I am VERY scabby. No way these things can be covered. I would look like someone with a bunch of makeup on top of dark scabs biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif/ #-o . Plus, to be honest with you, I don't want to mess with the scabs. I'm afraid that by messing with my face, they would get knocked off, over and over. I'm trying to just leave them alone and let them heal.

But thanks everyone for your input and encouragement. I appreciate it and am sure that all will be fine in a few weeks, not to mention, in a few short months I will most likely be totally scar free..... biggrin.gif/ biggrin.gif

maya i got that TCA for you.. hopefully you'll have it within 2 weeks.. I dont know how much the shipping is going to be.. So once i send it out to you ill tell you how much everthing was..

im assuming something as light as TCA shouldnt cost more than 20 dollars to ship to the UK.. PM me with your address and stuff smile.gif

Maya, Neosporin is an antibiotic ointment that people use on scrapes and cuts here in the U.S. It's petrolatum based with zinc oxide in it, in very heavy amounts. It makes a lot of difference to use this stuff because studies show that using it on scrapes and cuts drastically reduces the chances of scarring and improper healing. I noticed many years ago that if I had a scrape or cut, and put Neosporin on it and put a bandaid on top, then the cut or scrape would heal more quickly, and with no scar. It really makes all the difference in the world. It has very strong anti-bacterial activity; I've used it on cysts in the past, and the cyst would go away very quickly.

I don't know what the UK equivelant would be, but I'm sure there is something at the drugstore that is pretty much the same thing!!! Hope that helps.

Update. It's been 10 days since I spot treated some shallow scars and some sebacious hyperplasia lesions. Well, it's sloooooooowwwwwly healing but it's taking MUCH longer than I originally thought it would. This downtime is something else. I still cannot put anything on my face but healing stuff...peptides, emu oil, neosporin.

I'm a bit bummed out by the time it's taking to heal. Right now the scarred/treated areas are still healing, but I do admit that the scars are in much better shape than I thought, which is great news. I wish I had left my scars alone and just treated the sebacious hyperplasia lesions. The scabbing has been incredibly difficult. The whole right side of my face didn't have any acne scars, but did have sebacious lesions, which I treated. Now, it looks a bit disasterous, because I have a bunch of red marks now that have to heal up. I was thinking that these things would just peel off with no problem, like a 35% TCA peel, but that hasn't been the case. Instead, the scabs have been very difficult to deal with. Most have come off prematurely while gently washing my face, and left a bit of an indent. I believe that it will fill in, just like my other indented areas I spoke of last week. In other words, folks, this is something to NOT take lightly. Matter of fact, I would strongly advise Steve, Maya, and others to dilute the solution to 40% (1 part distilled water, 4 parts tca). I suppose you could use a nosedropper type instrument to measure it out.

This is MUCH MORE INVASIVE THAN NEEDLING. I really cannot stress that enough. The downtime, dealing with the redmarks these things leave is going to be unbelievable. I have lots of mixed emotions about doing this.

I believe something that will help you all to is to get a small pointy makeup brush, or paint brush. You want a sable hair pointy one. I say this because you want to only go into the scar with the point. That way, the tca doesn't spread to other areas outside what you are treating. This is very important!!! I wish I had done this!!!!!!!

Well, you live and learn.....I'm trying to prepare you guys for how this can turn out. Hope you guys really take into consideration what I'm saying!!

Take care and you guys have a good weekend! I'll still be moping around praying for my face to heal quicker!!!! sad.gif

Thanks for all the warnings Denise. I'm going to be thinking of you and praying that your face heals up really well.

Pooh, I don't think you understand what TCA is. The AHA peels don't penetrate the dermis; they aren't supposed to. TCA is very strong. This isn't something to play around with as it DOES penetrate the dermis. This isn't something you can just get from the store or order online like most peel kits. You have to have a valium or a shot to put you into lah-lah land in order to stand it. It can be very dangerous to mess around with.

I know TCA is strong, but, for example is 40% TCA as strong as 100% Glycolic Acid? Couldn't 100% glycolic acid penentrate deeper then 40% TCA? I'm just trying to determine if this will work with higher concentration acids other than TCA

I know TCA is strong, but, for example is 40% TCA as strong as 100% Glycolic Acid?    Couldn't 100%  glycolic acid penentrate deeper then 40% TCA?  I'm just trying to determine if this will work with higher concentration acids other than TCA

Pooh and Maya....nonononoooooo......tricholoretic acid is an acid that PENETRATES THE DERMIS.

A 25% TCA peel is much stronger than even 100% glycolic acid. If you use a 30% glycolic acid peel, for example, you might get a stinging sensation, but that is it. With a 35% TCA, you will frost over, and the skin will literally turn into dead skin, and about 3-4 layers of skin will start to come off about 5-7 days after you have the solution applied.

This doesn't even begin to compare to aha's, which do not penetrate the dermis. Now for people with extra sensitive skin, they can burn or whatever, but they don't penetrate near what tca does.

Just like with salicylic acid.....you can find products with 2% salicylic acid. However, they are just as effective as a 10% glycolic acid.

Different acids are different, but tca IS ~NOT~ an AHA. It is a synthetic man-made chemical acid.

BTW everyone, many places are healing well, and the places I agonized over are healing very well, but there is still the whole right side of my face that was totally scar free (but had sebacious hyperplasia lesions that I treated with the tca) are still open wounds, but are improving and getting better. Good grief....I think that I got bad instructions, and that's why I am taking so long to heal. I wish I had kept Neosporin on the places on the right side of my face to begin with, but the guy who sold the solution to me told me to keep neosporin on the first day only, and moisterizer the rest of the time. However, that created scabs that fell off too soon and left the possibility to scarring much worse. Now that I am keeping Neosporin on my face, they are healing better and quicker, but I still have lots of red spots, though many are healing up well.

Anyway, this is a very strong, dangerous acid. If you are going to spot treat, I would recommend diluting the solution with distilled water ONLY (not spring, not sterile...).

Hope that helps Pooh and Maya.

Guest murray

This method seems very interesting and im really thinking of doing it on quite a large scar on my right cheek. Im just wondering denise if TCA peels work on all types of scars?

Murray, I personally think that needling is safer. It literally breaks up the scar tissue. TCA might melt it to a degree, not too sure. I have noticed slight improvements in some of the shallow scars I treated, but they are ofcourse, still red/brownish. I hate those spots. My skin was actually looking great before I did this procedure, with the exception of a few scars. Those dag blame hyperplasia lesions are what was driving me wacko nuts!!! ](*,)

Denise, Ive read that any Glycolic 70% and up is considered a medium depth peel just like the TCA peels.. Maybe the info i read was incorrect, but from what i understand the when glycolics get up to 70% they are considered medium depth no longer superficial..

high-percentage glycolic acid will penetrate the dermis if you give it enough time. TCA is stronger and faster, but if you leave 100% glycolic acid on your face for an hour, it'll pentrate into the dermis just the same.

Steve and Jack, I don't think that's true. I do an 80% salicylic acid peel about once every 5-6 weeks and it doesn't do any such thing.

I reckon if you left it on for an hour, it could penetrate, but a TCA peel does that inside of 2-3 minutes.

Perhaps if your skin IS NOT used to acids, aha's might do that at higher percentages, but that hasn't been my experience at all. Matter of fact, any acid solution usually stops doing anything after 5 minutes anyway, and that includes all acids. Therefore, I'm not sure leaving an aha solution on after a few minutes would do a lot, as the solution usually stops working after a certain period of time.

Keep in mind my skin is used to acids, but I've talked to Kathi at Makeupartistschoice by phone, and she said that her 70% glycolics are strong, and recommended for use on skin used to acids.....however, she said nothing about it penetrating the dermis.

Again, I've done lots of peels, and just havn't had the same experience you guys are talking about.

Guest murray

thanks for the tip denise, ill do some research on needling now. how have your experiences been with needling?

If you want to be precise about the application of TCA or any other acid here is what you should do:

Take a really thin tipped wooden toothpick and put it in the TCA solution and let it sit until the tip is saturated (maybe about 10 minutes) then apply only to the scarred area.

This is serious stuff so please be careful!

Anna

Maya, i sent off the package today.. you should be getting it in about 7-10 business days..

It was actually really Cheap sending the package off.. The TCA along with delivery comes out to about 45 dollars..

Update: It's been 15 days since I spot treated certain places on my face with the 50% TCA. Well......I have come to see some filling in and removal of scar tissue since the healing process has started. Actually, I'm pleased because the shallow scars I spot treated are doing very well, though they are still reddish..... :-k

I still have some "open" sores that I am keeping Neosporin on, and they are improving also.

So the bottom line from my experience is this: Keep Neosporin on your places that you spot treat to prevent scab formation. Try to make your own high percentage ala solution (see ALA THREAD) and apply it twice a day. If you use Retin A, use that when the scar is not longer open and weepy, and use copper peptides as well, if you have that. I apply Retin A first, wait a half hour and apply the peptides, then I wait another 20-30 minutes, and apply the ALA solution.

So that's my update. This still is taking long, but I think it's because I lost a week when I could have been healing. I should have kept Neosporin on all the places I treated, and I didn't. I put aloe vera and emu oil, but the tca went too deep for me to benefit from that. If I had kept Neosporin on the sores, I would have healed a lot quicker.

So you be sure to learn from my mistakes. I'm grateful that we are all experimenting and can help each other!

DENISE2 why are you applying CP and ALA when you are trying to heal the areas where you put tca on, arent these harsh products to use right now?

Steve - thank you - how do you want to receive payment - I can see if I can get some £ exchanged to $ if that suits you or do a direct debit into your bank account - PM me with waht you want. Thanks!!!!

I think I will try 1 tiny ice pick at a time - a little scared dure to Denise's reports.

Jay, no...I have tough skin. If the products bothered me, I wouldn't be using them. I recommend ALA so much because it helps greatly with reddish spots and hyperpigmentation, and it literally eats damaged collagen, so it's very good to apply.