Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alisa Lucente

Does acne affect getting a job????

Ive started to get acne in March, before that Id get an occasional pimple or zit.. Im 19 years old and i still coudlnt figure out why im gettin it at this age (its not genetic either). Anyways this really has depressed me, I quit my job back in March too because I was sick of working in a fast food restaurant. Weird because i never had acne working there...anyways i have about 4 or 5 active pimples/zits and 13 + redmarks and two cysts :(:(... I've been waiting till my acne cleared and i was going to go apply to some jobs because I really need the money but i have been discouraged because im afraid they will care more about my appearance and judge me as a dirty person because of my acne and not accept me :(

Has this happened to anyone else?

I've never had acne directly keep me from a job, nor have I had anyone comment on it in this way, but I still feel dirty and unprofessional if I have to go to work with a major breakout. You just have to forget about it and accept how it is, or do whatever it takes to clear it...make it so your work performance has nothing to do with the way nature made your skin look that day. It's not easy, that's for sure...

Try not to let the acne take over your life. I worked at McDonald's (drive thru) for 2 and a half years. The only good thing was that the visor would cover some of the pimples on my forehead. I would hate it when a cute boy would come in and I had to serve him..most of the time I hid in drive thru so nobody would see me inside. Of course I wore makeup to cover it up.

Now I work at a nursing home..I've been here 3 yrs (I'm the youngest one there). Some of the other employees do stare at my face but I try not to let it phase me..I just act like it doesn't bother me because I need the money. I'm on my own and paying for College myself. You have to think about your future my dear because everything is so expensive in this day and age. ( I sound like my mother :lol: )

Good luck ;)

Try not to let the acne take over your life. I worked at McDonald's (drive thru) for 2 and a half years. The only good thing was that the visor would cover some of the pimples on my forehead. I would hate it when a cute boy would come in and I had to serve him..most of the time I hid in drive thru so nobody would see me inside. Of course I wore makeup to cover it up.

Now I work at a nursing home..I've been here 3 yrs (I'm the youngest one there). Some of the other employees do stare at my face but I try not to let it phase me..I just act like it doesn't bother me because I need the money. I'm on my own and paying for College myself. You have to think about your future my dear because everything is so expensive in this day and age. ( I sound like my mother :lol: )

Good luck ;)

Thats great to here you guys dont let it control you... but for me I dont even want to apply to a new job they will not even consider..come on guys, we all know they judge you by your appearance at first.

I guess it depends on what kind of job you're applying for...I don't think the person would care unless you're going to be working at an uppity makeup counter. Dress comfortably and professionally, and show them what you have to offer. I'm sure they have a lot more things to worry about than what's on someone else's face, which I'm sure they see everyday.

I guess it depends on what kind of job you're applying for...I don't think the person would care unless you're going to be working at an uppity makeup counter. Dress comfortably and professionally, and show them what you have to offer. I'm sure they have a lot more things to worry about than what's on someone else's face, which I'm sure they see everyday.

Well since I am 17 Im interested in apply at jobs at the mall clothing or shoe stores such as footlocker etc...or even zellers or walmart , shoppers drugmart..just retail stores.. but usually people who work at a clothing store are girls with CLEAR skin perfect hair etc...

Well do u have any good references?

My best friend works at the pharmacy in Shoppers drug mart and she has acne

Well do u have any good references?

I guess..well im using my friends sister she owned a business (i never worked there) but shes gona pretend i did..hahha :shhh: ..i also worked at two different places..one of my managers was a bitch he sort of fired me cuz of my absence..i put it on my resume but i didnt give a reference for that place....and the last job i worked at, my manager is two faced.. i got my friend to call in and pretend to be an employer and see waht she says about me, she said i was good 99% of the time..im a good worker etc...n then with the 1% she tried to make me look bad by saying that "everyone had a problem with coming to work on time" buddy, i was late like four times in total out of a year..and late i mean like less than five minutes late!!! I dont kno what to do...maybe they think i bullshited on my resume..its a pretty good resume i would say. god help me :(

Well since I am 17 Im interested in apply at jobs at the mall clothing or shoe stores such as footlocker etc...or even zellers or walmart , shoppers drugmart..just retail stores.. but usually people who work at a clothing store are girls with CLEAR skin perfect hair etc...

If you're acne is mild to moderate, I'm sure you'd actually fit in at these places. Almost everyone has some kind of small breakout going on from time to time. Even if it is severe, these aren't the kind of high-profile jobs where someone will make a decision based on your skin. I think a lot of confidence will help.

I work at a pharmacy and I have acne... :( well hardly anymore thanks to accutane :). Turns out that there's a girl who's 30 who works with me, and hers looks worse. It feels mean to say it, but it is comforting to know you're not the only one!

If you're acne is mild to moderate, I'm sure you'd actually fit in at these places. Almost everyone has some kind of small breakout going on from time to time. Even if it is severe, these aren't the kind of high-profile jobs where someone will make a decision based on your skin. I think a lot of confidence will help.

Thanks guys, it really helps a lot to post comments like this :)

have u done any volunteer work? it makes it look good too

Yes, like two.. but they were a day each... And I dont have references for them.

One was a multicultural food festival where I handled drinks and cleaned up... lol this was when i was 15..

second one was a voting campaigne for the mayor..we helped pass out flyers around the area..i dont have references for that either since i did it for a day and everyone working there was temporary.

I dont recomend working at a fast food resturante my friend works at Popeyes and he says he has to clean greese, ect.. Not very good stuff for his skin

I work in retail as a cashier but i overcomed my fear of acne. Work somewhere that in air condition and doesnt envolve going out in the heat

I kept lookin for jobs, always got turned down. I looked and looked and looked and got turned down. Maybe it was cause I was only 16 at the time? But I've scene other kids my age with jobs, sometimes I used to think maybe if I walked into this place lookin real good I would of gotten that job instead of showing up like the way I look. Anyway I never gave up I finally got a job, with acne. The acne kind of made me angry at my job alot, cause the mirrors in my job were a killer on acne. These mirrors were so bad that even if you didn't have acne and had perfect skin, your face would still look worse in these mirrors.

I kept lookin for jobs, always got turned down. I looked and looked and looked and got turned down. Maybe it was cause I was only 16 at the time? But I've scene other kids my age with jobs, sometimes I used to think maybe if I walked into this place lookin real good I would of gotten that job instead of showing up like the way I look. Anyway I never gave up I finally got a job, with acne. The acne kind of made me angry at my job alot, cause the mirrors in my job were a killer on acne. These mirrors were so bad that even if you didn't have acne and had perfect skin, your face would still look worse in these mirrors.

There are a lot of bitches (esspecially girls) who judge you by your appearance and might not consider you for an interview because of the way you look. People are really shallow (most).

Ive started to get acne in March, before that Id get an occasional pimple or zit.. Im 17 years old and i still coudlnt figure out why im gettin it at this age (its not genetic either). Anyways this really has depressed me, I quit my job back in March too because I was sick of working in a fast food restaurant. Weird because i never had acne working there...anyways i have about 4 or 5 active pimples/zits and 13 + redmarks and two cysts :(:(... I've been waiting till my acne cleared and i was going to go apply to some jobs because I really need the money but i have been discouraged because im afraid they will care more about my appearance and judge me as a dirty person because of my acne and not accept me :(

Has this happened to anyone else?

Certainly affects me, then again I don't want a job, I'm 15 and trying to enjoy my life.

There are a lot of bitches (esspecially girls) who judge you by your appearance and might not consider you for an interview because of the way you look. People are really shallow (most).

I don't mean to sound heartless but that's life. Those kind of people are ignorant and not worth your time. You are a much better person then they are!!

Well the reason i got my job was cuz myparents had connections

Do you have any good connections with parents, or friends

I dont think there is nothing wrong with sucking up at a job till you work your way up

Good idea..that's how I got mine ;) Plus I had done volunteer work in the past and I had good references anyway

Well the reason i got my job was cuz myparents had connections

Do you have any good connections with parents, or friends

I dont think there is nothing wrong with sucking up at a job till you work your way up

The thing is, I ALREADY QUIT.... Months ago..and i kinda dont regret it.

If your 17. at my school you can join a class that gives you a job at school or out of school its call a co-op class

Yes I think thats the same at every school..

I live in canada and thats how it is. But im finished school and im going to college

so i need the money..

i'm only 18 but i've been through 4 interviews & i got offered a job every time and i have acne. just be friendly and approachable, keep eye contact and stuff. If you're only looking for casual retail type work all they are going to care about is how you are with customers and whether or not u would give a good impression of the store and if you're friendly & professional they aren't going to care you have acne.