Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Veryverydesperate

Thanks a bunch Proactiv! [Pictures - HELP! ]

I just started using Proactiv a month ago. During that time, I had exactly three pimples on my forehead, and relatively clear skin.

I had heard from countless people saying that Proactiv was great, and that it'd work miracles.

Well, it certainly did a number on my skin. I now have a constellation of pimples on my forhead, and chin.

Talk about a waste of money. Anyway, I've got some horror pictures to show the members to see if they can recommend something to me. I'm open to ANYTHING now, and as school is approaching I hope to have my skin back by September. :pray:

Pictures:

Chin-

IPB Image

Forehead-

IPB Image

I'm in dire need of help! Thanks a lot in advance.

It made my skin worse too!

I wasted 100 dollars (100 DOLLARS!! can you believe?) :wall:

I bought proactiv right after my dad passed cause I broke out EVERYwhere on my face. It didn't make things worse, but it didn't make things better either. It was like I was using something everyday that did absolutely nothing..NOT worth the money, ugh.

Maybe try using salicylic acid instead of benzoyl, which is what proactiv uses. SA will unclog your pores and dry up your pimples. I use effaklar K, just google it to find it.

Good luck!

-Sarah

Hi -

Its hard to say which product your skin reacted to, since Proactive uses both BP and salicylic. From what I have read on these boards, most people have not had good luck with proactive though.

Have you tried any other topical products besides proactive? Have you used either benzoyl peroxide (BP) or salicylic acid before? If you can use BP, that will probably clear you up the fastest (the inflammed spots, anyway). You might consider looking at the clear skin regimen that they recommend on this site - its seems to have worked for people who can tolerate BP. If you do use it, consider starting off gradually - I did that and avoided some of the irritation that BP can cause. Check out my log under the retinoid section of the messageboards if you want more details on how i did that. If you can't use BP, there are other products that use hydrogen peroxide instead of BP - they may not work as fast, but they do work for some people (Philosophy makes one, and I think clearasil does too)

You also might want to use an exfoliating product. These can help flush out impactions in your skin and prevent pores from blocking up - you might consider a mandelic acid product - it exfoliates and unblocks your pores and it is also antibacterial which can help reduce inflammed acne. It is also safe for use on darker skin (from what I can tell from your pics, you look like you have a dark complexion?). Some of the other acids used for acne control can be problematic for people with darker skin tones.

Whatever you decide to try, remember that you have to give it a good 8-12 wks to tell if its working.

I've used Diferin Gel, and Tazorac.

Both came with little or no result.

I will probably be seeing a dermatologist soon. [ As I don't want this to escalate any further. ]

I decided to come here before I did something like that, to see if there were any simple solutions. Thank you very much for your help.

I'm trying to be cautious.

I've already wasted money on products that claim to work, and don't.

I'm going to mull it over, and eventually have to come up with something before I go to the dermatologist.

My chin is almost identical to yours, man.

I also went to a derm not long ago, who perscribed Zineryt.

Can't really tell you how it's going but if you want to know in sometime, pm me.

You should get off proactiv- try a Cetaphil face wash if you havent already. I never discovered cetaphil until this forum, and Cetaphil is awesome for us acne's. The other advice i give is use a BP solution on the zits, since thats what works for me.

Last thing tho, Dont worry about it, exercise (Even a little bit is awesome for you. Just do some pushups before you go to bed, or since its the weekend, GO RUNNING. Do something out in this heatwave.

Thanks for responses!

Should I just buy the Benzoyl peroxide gel and skip going to the dermatologist?

Because I've seen people on this message board using something called 'Accutane'. Should I get that?

The BP+Cetaphil sounds like a good idea. All Benzoyl Peroxide is the same, right? I remember the first time I ever went to the dermatologist, he gave me Benzoyl Peroxide tubes, but it wasn't in a gel form.

Thanks for responses!

Should I just buy the Benzoyl peroxide gel and skip going to the dermatologist?

Because I've seen people on this message board using something called 'Accutane'. Should I get that?

The BP+Cetaphil sounds like a good idea. All Benzoyl Peroxide is the same, right? I remember the first time I ever went to the dermatologist, he gave me Benzoyl Peroxide tubes, but it wasn't in a gel form.

Accutane is a very powerful drug and has been linked with depression, vision problems, arthritis and other dangerous side-effects so normally its not prescribed to people with acne that isn't severe or severly moderate. I would say your acne is mild, you wouldn't really need to use it. There are other things you can try though, I would suggest to get a derm again.

Well, I'll come to Proactive's rescue. I use it and it works, for me. I love it. For those of you who have not tried it, try it!

Sorry it didn't work for you:( Good luck in your battle!