Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AutonomousOne1980

how much would a 3 month course of accutane cost?

Just curious how much a three month course of accutane cost including doctor visits and blood tests.

one year of insurance premiums is like 1000.00 so if it is anywhere in that range i wouldnt see why i would need insurance.

i know just to visit my derm it is 75.00.

It depends on where your at, if you have insurance etc.

I'm almost 2 months in, but I got my doctor to prescribe me for 2 months on my 2nd visit. So for 3 months in total it cost me about 300, some people might pay a bit more, or maybe less I'm not sure.

Where do you live?

Depending upon the strength you will take, depends on the cost of the meds alone. My meds alone, for 60mg a day, cost $400 a month w/o insurance for generic! That would be $1200 for a three month course, for meds alone!

Plus, why would you want to do 3 months? They say the longer you are on it the less the probability of your acne coming back. It ultimately would cost you more in the long run!

K

400.00 a month yeah thats alot!!!

why 3 months?its hard for me to imagine being on it for more than that, but if i had to i guess i could. i figure ill get the doctor to put me on a three month course cause my acne is not that bad.

then if that doesnt do it then i can always do more.

why are you guys paying so much for your drugs? in sydney, 60 cap of 20mg is only 31 aus dollars (about 22 us dollars), and i dont have a consession card or anything

When i took tane for 4 months it cost me 50 for tane and 50 for Dr visit making it 400 for 4 months

were talking without insurance here. was this with insurance?

why are you guys paying so much for your drugs? in sydney, 60 cap of 20mg is only 31 aus dollars (about 22 us dollars), and i dont have a consession card or anything

ok. so.

were talking the cost of accutane without insurance here. was that without insurance?

why 3 months?its hard for me to imagine being on it for more than that, but if i had to i guess i could. i figure ill get the doctor to put me on a three month course cause my acne is not that bad.

Even if you don't have that bad of a case, you still will most likely be put on it for at least 4 months, if not 6, to make sure the probability of relapse (along with more time and money) is less likely to occur.

Now, it could be that they would put you on a lower dosage, which might make it less expensive. I don't know about how much a dose of 10 to 20 mg a month would cost.

IMO-

The insurance would be worth it in the long run. Durring/after treatment if you run into complications and have to go to the doctor more than usual (or god forbid you have a really bad side effect and have to go to the hospital), then you don't want the cost of the visit to stop you from going! Accutane treatment is not something to take lightly.

Even if you don't have that bad of a case, you still will most likely be put on it for at least 4 months, if not 6, to make sure the probability of relapse (along with more time and money) is less likely to occur.

Now, it could be that they would put you on a lower dosage, which might make it less expensive. I don't know about how much a dose of 10 to 20 mg a month would cost.

IMO-

The insurance would be worth it in the long run. Durring/after treatment if you run into complications and have to go to the doctor more than usual (or god forbid you have a really bad side effect and have to go to the hospital), then you don't want the cost of the visit to stop you from going! Accutane treatment is not something to take lightly.

Yes, you make an excellent point about whether or not complications will arise and besides, i should have health insurance anyways!!!!!

Can you tell I have gone without health insurance in the past? Trust me I know what it feels like when that happens! One time, I had a really BAD rxn to a med (I couldn't close my mouth...hahahaha...it wasn't funny at the time but its true!) and had to go to the ER. I must say, I debated it for a while, but when the tendons in my jaw started to pop, I decided that I had waited long enough!

I have coverage now, thank goodness, and don't have to worry about it!

Here's why I pay every month:

$125 for derm

$25 for blood tests

$133 for 40 mg/day Claravis (generic Accutane)

So the cost is $283 for the first month. As my dose will go up, the cost of Claravis will too. Roughly, I'll then pay $400 each month for 4 months.

My 6-month total will be about $1900 for one course. I did not include the iPLEDGE bullsh-t costs. I have insurance but it does not cover my "pre-existing condition." I pay out of pocket.

Here's why I pay every month:

$125 for derm

$25 for blood tests

$133 for 40 mg/day Claravis (generic Accutane)

So the cost is $283 for the first month. As my dose will go up, the cost of Claravis will too. Roughly, I'll then pay $400 each month for 4 months.

My 6-month total will be about $1900 for one course. I did not include the iPLEDGE bullsh-t costs. I have insurance but it does not cover my "pre-existing condition." I pay out of pocket.

Very helpful info!! thanks!

so you pay for everything out of pocket then?

^ they are most likely talking about the co-pay for just the pills alone. I pay $15 for a 1 month course.

I went private in the U.K., had years of time waisted with my G.P. and then was probably abit to impatient. Thought that my private insurance company were going to cover it, then said they wouldnt, but went ahead anyway. Was a few years ago now, but it was somewhere in the region of 800-900£. Worth everysinglegoddampenny.