Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AutonomousOne1980

Do you recommend Accutane? Yes/no

Im a male, 26 years old and had acne for 10 years at first not bad, but got worse in the past 5yrs.

used all topicals and antibiotics.

trying the diet thing, but its not doing much. I have studied this disease relentlessly.

I know someone who has used it and seems to be doing fine. His skin has been clear for about 5 years

but i dont know him that well and cant really question him about his experiances.

Questions to accutane users:

1.Do you recommend using it? why or why not

2. How old are you and how long has it cleared you?

3. Do you have any lasting side effects?

Yes, you should try accutane..

I'm on it right now, and none of the terrible side effects have happened to me...

they're completely blown up...

All of the oil in my face is completely gone (in a good way)..It's an amazing drug...

Yes I recommend it! There's a lot of hype surrounding all the negative effects of accutane but I'm on it right now and have been for 7 months. I have about 1 more month left. The only negative thing for me is a bit of lower back pain, but nothing serious. And chapped lips. But I always wore lip blam or gloss before I started so it doesn't make much of a difference to me.

Yes, but in with a low dosage over a longer period of time rather than a high dose for a short period of time. I took a large dose for a relatively short period of time (80 mgs for 3.5 months) and it made my hair fall out.

I'm 42. I took it about 4 years ago. It made me about 90% clear. I now take spiroaldactone and it keeps me about 98% clear.

Yes, my hair thinned and it's never gotten much better. Also, my skin takes much longer to heal now.

Yes, but in with a low dosage over a longer period of time rather than a high dose for a short period of time. I took a large dose for a relatively short period of time (80 mgs for 3.5 months) and it made my hair fall out.

I'm 42. I took it about 4 years ago. It made me about 90% clear. I now take spiroaldactone and it keeps me about 98% clear.

Yes, my hair thinned and it's never gotten much better. Also, my skin takes much longer to heal now.

do you mean Spironolactone? doctors are not permitted to prescribe this drug to treat acne are they?

Yes I'm on day 23 and already seeing results.

I'm 15 and as I stated on day 23 so it hasn't "cleared" me.

YET.

Still on day 23 :)

I'd recommend it only in SEVERE cases.

I took accutane, it cleared me up for a couple months and then it slowly started coming back. I have some joint pain, lower back pain sometimes, my eyes are dry and I think my hair has thinned a bit. The worst part of it all is, I've got all this crap and my acne has come back. Some people don't have those lasting side effects though, just use cxaution

Im also on day 23. This drug is amazing. I use to have SEVERE oil problem. Were talking using a oil absorbing sheet and drenching it every hour.

Now i can go a whole day, and tryed to use one and hardly had any oil on the sheet.

I only have mild acne, with occasinaol small cysts on forhead.

I never got the dreaded breakout.

im using 50mg a day.

only sides are chapped lips. Summer time is the right time. I can;t imagine the pain and dryness i would have in winter.

good that you're asking these questions.

i would recommend it IF your acne is severe, or moderate enough to really bother you. if it's mild you just aren't doing enough - diet really likely isn't to work. the right combination of (probably otc) products is probably out there...and the truth is mild acne is going to bother you far far more than anyone else. a lot of people on this board get wayyyy too bothered by a few small pimples, or even a lot less.

i'm 21, it never cleared me, but did reduce my oil so that my skin went from oily to combination/dry. i also only very rarely get cysts (i had many very large pimples and some cystic acne when i started), but i still have acne that i would rate somewhere between mild and moderate, and ALWAYS have pimples somewhere with occasional bad breakouts. it definitely did improve my acne problem, but also made my skin very very red for quite some time, but that has faded over time. large blackheads on my nose were temporarily removed but came back quickly.

side effects are real and CAN happen to you. about 4 months into treatment my hair began falling out. i would wake up with my pillow covered in hair, and showers would leave truly MASSIVE clumps of hair in the drain. it was scary as hell, and continued for months. in addition to that, it made my very straight hair frizzy and curly. my hair did stop falling out, but it's still kinky.

since you're 26 and say you have tried all the topicals you can think of i don't blame you for resorting to this a bit, you seem very mature about the process and not desperate like most people. my advice would be, since you didn't describe your acne problem (i'm guessing it's at least moderate) that if you're doing this because you're typically plagued by a pimple or two, forget about it and just get used to it, or keep trying different topicals and combinations. otherwise, it's up to you and it seems to me like you'll have educated yourself enough to make a proper decision.

My acne is mild/moderate but very persistent , breakouts all the time no matter what. Almost like a yoyo cycle, one week I feel good and then next I will breakout for no reason whatsoever .. The only thing I'm worried about now is the idea of the initial breakout, I dont think I'll be able to handle it. I'm working full time and my next semester starts in a month, I just cant deal with having huge breakouts anymore. Does everyone have a "Bad before its get better phase" with accutane or what?

I am 25 and was in the same boat as your before I went on Tane. Had acne all through high school and beyond. In the years before Accutane the acne got worse and affected me more psychologically. Recently completed a course of Tane (40mg/day/5 months) and I've cleared 99%.

Side-effects, you can read through my journal (link below) if you like, but nothing serious. Highly recommend it, HIGHLY!

No, I have been on it for 2 months at low dose and my hair has thinned dramatically. I am going off it and trying spironolactone which also helps with alopecia. Made my face clear, pores smaller, but still getting hormonal jaw line and neck cysts. Hairloss was the worse side effect but I had other minor side effects like dry eyes and conjunctivitis.

I am 32 and I was on it for 2 months. I am 75% clear (neck and jaw line cysts only).

For Cystic acne a must. For other types maybe/may be not.

I'm 29 and it's been six months since i finished my course (so in total like 8 clear months)

I had acne since I was 13 but it was always mild/moderate. Suddenly last year I got cystic acne out of nowhere.

No. They only side effects I had were dry lips(like bleeding sometimes), dry eyes sometimes and dry skin. Never had hairloss problem(i'm a woman) nor nosebleeds.

Did I have initial breakouts?

Yes and they were hell. One day my skin was clearing and next day I woke up with 7 huge cysts. I looked like a monster.

-I sure do, it works when all else fails, from persitant mild to severe cystic, its a confidence saver.

-21 and I have been clear since May 8th ish. I am so happy.

-None at all, although my lips are still dry, but I have always had dry smackers.