Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thEneXtChaPter

ok answer this question

Accutane stops acne and is hard on the liver. So if acne is from a weak liver, how can accutane, which is hard on the liver stop acne? 2nd off, my friend who had worser acne than me, took accutane, and not only did he get better results than me, he worked in mcdonalds the following year, and all he ate everyday was mcdonalds all the time. And yes he is thin like me, and he has better skin than me now. How can You explain that?

Not everyone who believes in a diet-acne connection think that the liver is invovled in the process. Personally, I don't think the liver has much to do with this connection (if there is one).

As to the diet-acne link - there are some established connections between high iodine intake and acne flares. This is true for high iodine foods (kelp, iodized salt, seafood, anything that is high in iodized salt) and medications high in iodine (thyroid medications can actually cause acne in people who normally don't get it). I believe this is due to the iodine irritating the lining of the pores in the skin. There are a couple of studies linking dairy to acne, but the increased rates of acne are not that striking, IMO. The hypothesized link there is that dairy is high in hormones, which may exacerbate acne (milk, interestingly is also high in iodine, so that may also be a link). The results for other food is less clear. Most studies have found no link between specific foods and acne.

The rest of this is just my own little theory, so take it as you will:

Apart from the ones I just mentioned, I think that there may be a link in individual people between food and acne. One possiblity might be that someone has an allergy or sensitivity to a certain food (e.g., peanuts)- if they eat the food they may get an inflammatory response in their body - including inflammation of the pores. What causes acne flares in one person, may not cause them in another person, if that other person does not have a sensitivity to that particular food. Many people have no food sensitivities or allergies, so they may not have any connections between their diet and acne outbreaks. I also believe that these foods do not necessarily cause acne, but only exacerbate it in those who are already prone to developing it.

The ultimate answer when comparing people...people are different.

Accutane works on so many levels (actually doctors don't completely understand accutane).

You can;t look at diet-acne so simplistically. If it were so simple, everyone would be acne-free.

Not everyone who believes in a diet-acne connection think that the liver is invovled in the process. Personally, I don't think the liver has much to do with this connection (if there is one).

As to the diet-acne link - there are some established connections between high iodine intake and acne flares. This is true for high iodine foods (kelp, iodized salt, seafood, anything that is high in iodized salt) and medications high in iodine (thyroid medications can actually cause acne in people who normally don't get it). I believe this is due to the iodine irritating the lining of the pores in the skin. There are a couple of studies linking dairy to acne, but the increased rates of acne are not that striking, IMO. The hypothesized link there is that dairy is high in hormones, which may exacerbate acne (milk, interestingly is also high in iodine, so that may also be a link). The results for other food is less clear. Most studies have found no link between specific foods and acne.

The rest of this is just my own little theory, so take it as you will:

Apart from the ones I just mentioned, I think that there may be a link in individual people between food and acne. One possiblity might be that someone has an allergy or sensitivity to a certain food (e.g., peanuts)- if they eat the food they may get an inflammatory response in their body - including inflammation of the pores. What causes acne flares in one person, may not cause them in another person, if that other person does not have a sensitivity to that particular food. Many people have no food sensitivities or allergies, so they may not have any connections between their diet and acne outbreaks. I also believe that these foods do not necessarily cause acne, but only exacerbate it in those who are already prone to developing it.

i have noticed SALMON breaks me out like a bitch!!! everyone says salmon is good... HELL NO!!!

whats there a lot of in salmon? is it iodine?

There's beta carotene in salmon... but there's also some interesting lipids. Don't think iodine is a big thing in salmon. Don't know what it could be, though, sorry.

i have noticed SALMON breaks me out like a bitch!!! everyone says salmon is good... HELL NO!!!

I think most seafood has some level of iodine in it - some more than others. I don't think salmon is one of the highest, but it still might be high enough to cause problems. Do you have problems with other kinds of seafood?

ive done alot of reading on Accutane and it stops acne by creating retinoic acid in sebocytes(sebum cells) and in epithelial cells to regulate growth.

retinoic acid regulates the growth of cells. Especially embryonic cells. thats why pregnant women cant take accutane because it will throw off the regulation of the embryo cells.

but the problem with acne is within the regulation of retinoic acid in the EPITHELIAL(skin) cells.

accutane is 13-cis retinoic acid-oral

tretinoin(retin-a) is retinoic acid-topical

They both have a main goal of creating retinoic acid in the epithelial cells.but accutane isnt very selective when it comes to what cells it effects.

The updated theory on the cause for acne is that our bodys our overactive in a certain enzyme(cyp26AI) that metabolizes retinoic acid to break it down.In this circumstance our skin goes unregulated with cells all dying at different rates and sebum cells multiplying and sebum glands getting larger and releasing more oil. there is nothing there to regulate all these activities. Our bodys are constantly trying to balance the right amount of retinoic acid intercellulary because it is a powerful substance.Retinol dehydrogenase synthesizes retinoic acid and the cyp26ai enzyme breaks it down.

I have not read anything that says why we are overactive in this enzyme.

There are new acne drugs in development that are called rambas(retinoic acid metabolism blocking agents) which inhibit the break down of retinoic acid SPECIFICALLY in the epithelial cells causing a surplus to accumulate. this a real step in the treatment of acne cause accutane tends to effect other cells in the body where rambas are very specific.

i dont know how accutane effects the liver.ill have to look in to that one.

I think there's plenty of anecdotal evidence to create an acne/diet relationship. Just because there isn't scientific/clinical research that displays this link doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I am more concerned with food allergies than general unhealthy eating habits (only because of my own experience). I believe that if you constantly eat unhealthy you will improve your chances of getting acne, but I think that allergies are a major part of it. This explains why some people can eat anything and have perfect skin... they simply don't develop allergies to wheat or gluten or dairy other things. It's important to realize that we're all created differently. I think acne develops for different reasons and solely because each of our bodies has unique susceptibilities. For some people it may just be clogged pores; others may develop acne because their bodies can't handle sugar spikes; others because of weak livers (that can't deal with excess toxins especially during puberty and expell these toxins through the largest organ: your skin); yet others may develop acne because of food allergies or hormone imbalance. Who knows??!! If there was a clear answer, we'd all have clear skin. But, to simply dismiss the acne/diet link (when there's so much evidence) is just silly. If acne was just caused by clogged pores and hormones, we'd all have clear skin. If you get acne, try creating a food log for a month or so... record both what you eat and how many pimples you get. You may see the correlation first-hand rather than hear people like me ramble on and on :lol:

Food may not be the reason you get acne, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that diet is the reason some people get acne.

I doubt it. Your too young to be having colon problems or other health problems at 12-25 or whatever early age you start getting acne. Its not because of health issues, im just not buyin that.

I doubt it. Your too young to be having colon problems or other health problems at 12-25 or whatever early age you start getting acne. Its not because of health issues, im just not buyin that.

You don't have to buy that. But you should understand that there is a relationship between how you fuel your body and how it performs (and for some people, this can manifest as acne).

You're awfully skeptical despite all the arguments people keep throwing at you. What's the hangup? Why do you refuse to believe that there is a correllation between diet and acne for some people? Someone just explained that Accutane works differently than diet, dietary sensetivities vary from individual to individual, and acne is a complex disease with may possible factors at play, and neither it nor all the treatments for it are entirely understood. What more do you want?

well it certainly doesnt have anything to do with retinoic acid, i mean that accutane stuff is a joke!!!!!! it hardly even works!! why do some people pay so much and put there bodies through hell when that stuff NEVER CLEARS ACNE!!! I have not heard of one person getting clear from accutane.

some people will never get its like they are ignoring the the scientific facts or something SHEESH!!!

You don't have to buy that. But you should understand that there is a relationship between how you fuel your body and how it performs (and for some people, this can manifest as acne).

You're awfully skeptical despite all the arguments people keep throwing at you. What's the hangup? Why do you refuse to believe that there is a correllation between diet and acne for some people? Someone just explained that Accutane works differently than diet, dietary sensetivities vary from individual to individual, and acne is a complex disease with may possible factors at play, and neither it nor all the treatments for it are entirely understood. What more do you want?

How you fuel your body and how it performs? Other than acne and before accutane side effects, my body was performing well last yr. I went from getting sick often to being sick for 2 days my entire year, I was stronger than ever and in the best shape of my life, and I was really feelin healthy (except for my poor attitudes/moods). So My body performed wll in my opinion, and yet I still got acne. I also got alot of blood work done a while back right after I started getting acne, and the reports showed I was very healthy.

Omega 3 is high in fish. Omega 3 out of balance with omegas 6 and 9 will cause a break out because of the protaglandings each omegas produce is different.

I noticed when I ate tuna in sunflower oil my acne went crazy. Sunflower is very high in omega 6 (omega 6 is easily reached in western diets and more stress is placed on eating omega 3s). I noticed eating Tuna on its own actually helped my acne so I did some research into it.

There is a link between acne and diet and you would be foolish to say there isnt. The true cause of acne lies deeper then diet. This is obvious because a acne free diet will make acne clear, reversing the diet will make it return...compare an acne body to a none acne body, all things being equal, who can get away with both diets and not have acne, underlines the very cause of acne lies within the body!

How you fuel your body and how it performs? Other than acne and before accutane side effects, my body was performing well last yr. I went from getting sick often to being sick for 2 days my entire year, I was stronger than ever and in the best shape of my life, and I was really feelin healthy (except for my poor attitudes/moods). So My body performed wll in my opinion, and yet I still got acne. I also got alot of blood work done a while back right after I started getting acne, and the reports showed I was very healthy.

You're not getting the point... SOME people's acne is affected by diet. SOME people. Not ALL. You can't generalize such a complicated disease... either from the standpoint that "acne will be cured for everyone by accutane" or "acne can be cured with dietary changes for everybody." But I would imagine that during that time you were very healthy you were also getting a well-balanced diet. YOUR acne may not be related to diet, but that doesn't mean that SOME people's acne is not affected by diet.

You're not getting the point... SOME people's acne is affected by diet. SOME people. Not ALL. You can't generalize such a complicated disease... either from the standpoint that "acne will be cured for everyone by accutane" or "acne can be cured with dietary changes for everybody." But I would imagine that during that time you were very healthy you were also getting a well-balanced diet. YOUR acne may not be related to diet, but that doesn't mean that SOME people's acne is not affected by diet.

Still, I've scene alot of older people in bad health and they dont have acne. Its all hormones, your hormones are incredibly high when your a teen, thats why you usually get acne as a teen. And adult acne as I understand occurs in females and is rare in males, thats because there hormones are different, also, even adult acne that females get usually isn't as bad as teenage acne.

Still, I've scene alot of older people in bad health and they dont have acne. Its all hormones, your hormones are incredibly high when your a teen, thats why you usually get acne as a teen. And adult acne as I understand occurs in females and is rare in males, thats because there hormones are different, also, even adult acne that females get usually isn't as bad as teenage acne.

You're impossible. And wrong. Hormones play a big role, but you don't know shit.

You're still failing to read and comprehend my posts. For SOME people diet affects acne. For SOME people, bad health manifests as acne. You can't write something off because of your broad, sweeping, and illogical generalizations.

You're impossible. And wrong. Hormones play a big role, but you don't know shit.

You're still failing to read and comprehend my posts. For SOME people diet affects acne. For SOME people, bad health manifests as acne. You can't write something off because of your broad, sweeping, and illogical generalizations.

lol

I like shmelis thinking - stern but fair!

Umm, NYMJT, when you come up with a cure for acne, let me know.

Accutane doesn't work for everybody

Dietary change doesn't work for everybody

Liver flushes don't work for everybody

BP, SA, and other OTC's don't work for everybody

Hey, Jessica Simpson and P. Diddy got "clear" using ProActiv... why doesn't it work for me, NYMJT? HUH?

I don't need any research to prove to me that when I start consuming large amounts of sugar I break out like crazy. I know from personal experience, and that's why I avoid sugar at all costs!

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Accutane stops acne and is hard on the liver. So if acne is from a weak liver, how can accutane, which is hard on the liver stop acne?

Mass doses of Vitamin A dry out the sebaceous glands. When you remove that mechanism from your skin, acne doesn't have the ability to form anymore. That's primarily what Accutane is doing.

Weak liver or not, Accutane is going to dry out the sebaceous glands. The argument behind liver health and acne is a holistic issue, not just about the production of sebum.

Collateral damage is a phrase that comes to mind.