Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CAGrl

CAGrl'S Accutane Journey

first of all, thanks to everyone who has ever contributed to these logs, mesage boards, forums. this is really awesome how we can all come together and feel a little bit better bout everything we may be experiencing. so neway..i recently started accutane 20 mg daily. ive had moderate acne since grade 8 and im now entering grade 12..so thats about four years. however, until this year my acne was nothing to worry about. i was usually jus mildly afflicted until december this year. things took a change quite drastically january this year when i started breaking out with very large pimples all over my cheeks and chin with whiteheads and blackheads all over my forehead and nose. of course, like everyone else here, i fell victim to the OTC trap, trying every product to no avail. i conducted thorough research about accutane and have since decided to go on it... now in Canada, there is no IPLEDGE program thank god.. and seeing as im not sexually active it was really easy to get a prescription for accutane without a pregnancy test. i did have blood tests but that inconvenience is trivial when compared to the benefit i hope to achieve from this drug.

even though its only been 1 week on such a relatively low dose, i definitely feel the accutane in my system.

the first two days i was extremely thirsty, probably because i have a history of diabetes in my family and consume an unhealthy amount of sugar. since then...i have monitored how much sugar i consume and i no longer feel that crazy thirst anymore. JUST A WARNING FOR PEOPLE WITH DIABETES IN THEIR FAMILY HISTORY........BE CAREFUL....GO FOR UR BLOOD TESTS, THIS DRUG CAN CAUSE SERIOUS AND PERMANENT SIDE EFFECTS IF YOURE NOT CAREFUL. oh and i also found that breaking up the consummation of the dose throughout ur day helps calm the side effects of dry lips, thirst into half... ur still puttin teh same amount into ur body..but its ezier on ur body to take in if u take ur prescription separately...of course, however, you must discuss how u take ur medication with your GP/derm.

ahh..its juss seems like ive had this forever, i no my story is no different than anyone elses. some good things about acne though are that i hav learned a lot and become a stronger person overall. i no longer cry wen someone says somthign horrible about my skin, i still feel bad about it..but i know how to deal with it now...i think it humbles us all to a certain extent :)

arite..thats is for now..bye guys..hope i didnt write too much:P

guys...the first week was pretty good..now im experiencing transient chest pain......i havnt read bout that anywhere on the logs here...can anyone relate? if so..PLZZ lemme no if they went away......or what i can do to reduce them.......thanks SO much! take care -CAGrl

omg haha this stuff is hilarious...my skins breaking out in little whiteheads...and then their disappearing within hours!!!! anyone els experience this type of initial breakout? ahh the joys of accutane:)

so other than that..imreallly enjoyin my skin thus far...im braced for worse times..but rite now my skins lookin pretty manageable :D oo btw teh chest pains r gone! yay ..hope htey dont com bak..hope non of you guys hav to deal with it either :angel: okiii me outt

omg haha this stuff is hilarious...my skins breaking out in little whiteheads...and then their disappearing within hours!!!! anyone els experience this type of initial breakout? ahh the joys of accutane:)

so other than that..imreallly enjoyin my skin thus far...im braced for worse times..but rite now my skins lookin pretty manageable :D oo btw teh chest pains r gone! yay ..hope htey dont com bak..hope non of you guys hav to deal with it either :angel: okiii me outt

I would keep an eye out for those chest pains girl.. if it happens again you may need to call ur doc. Well good luck on the tane! I am starting in a couple weeks. I'm a little nervous but definitely can't wait to start.

thank u for ur concern:) i really appreciate it

the chest pains are gone guys Thank God:) ......so if anyone els IS experiencing them.....i read somewhere that drinking a full glass (not cup) of water helps to reduce chest and abdominal pain. now, i dont no whyy that is ..but from my experience.....it really really works. hmm so thus far...skin's been behaving well.

the past two or three days i think i was experiencing the IB ..it was a bunch of whiteheads located far from each other, basically all over my face. one on each cheek, two on my forehead... two at the top of my chin and two on the bottom of my chin... its sounds really bad...but they were quite tiny so it didnt bother me too much..and i had a meeting at work where we were testing our new makeup line on each other! KINDA EMBARASSING GUYS...Hheh.. to hav ur coworker work on your Completely makeupLESS face..which is full of tiny whiteheads and pinkish scars (which seem to be fading since on tane, or is it just my mind?)..but i tried not to think abou it.... :) and the meeting was pretty fun

aaah so me an my friends are goin out today ..prly gonna watch a movie. Speakin of friends...one of the reasons i chose accutane was bc of the COMPLETELY AMAZING FLAWLESS results i saw with one of my closest friends...she had quite severe cystic acne ( i think thats wat it was...not in chains but all over her face) and came out of treatment with peachy, beautiful, glowy skin. its been a while since shes been off tane and her face is still beautiful. and since i have had moderate persistant acne for a while i decided to TAKE THE PLUNGEEE :razz: Hope everyon coms out of this experience with the results they would like.... hav a

o all of the grls who are ABOUT TO START tane..... if your acne is hormonal... if you notice that it seems to jus Flare up around the timeof your period....i recommend taking the tane just as you are at the END of that period breakout. the reason for this being that most of the acne that has been forming for a while has already surfaced with the breakout you experience before/during ur period. when you experience your IB which i am right now i believe, you will then lower ur chances of a more severe breakout as opposed to starting the tane two weeks before/after your period... im not a doctor... but im pretty sure this makes sense....anyone els hav any thoughts to add?

Hav a great day guys! lovya

hey guys.. more of the IB surprised me yesterday with a new cyst :shock: im shocked bc i havnt had cysts since.... march! o well, i guess it was gonna come up sooner or later rite? :ninja: haha arite well thats okay.. itsjus one ..while i hav a few whiteheads on a different part of my chin ...one on my cheek and a few small pimples on my forehead. well doznt this all sound deliicious!! ;) heheheh... im not worried tho..still read for it to get worse while still hoping it dosnt! ahha...

lets do this guys! WOOO :dance:

Hey girlie, so I thought now that we are tane buddies I'd track your progress! ;) sorry to hear about your breakout, but hey, those suckers were gonna come out sooner or later so the tane decided to bring them out earlyand attack them! better out then in right?! good to see you're keeping positive because after the IB it is all uphill from there!! I THINK I just finished my big IB, I also got like 3 big cysts and I didnt get those since I would say April, so I was pretty upset :evil: I'm sure you will be coming along soon as well, so keep ur head up! goodluck babe and keep us updated!!

Hey, welcome to the journey that is Accutane! IBs suck, but it'll go eventually. I'm in week 3 and still in my IB, but like you said, they gotta come out sooner our later. Good luck and take care!

~Matt

day 13?

hiii guys!

how is everyone today?

man, ive noticed that ever since i hav been on this drug, my mood has changed! not for the worse, but for the better......im not constantly stressing about my face or depressed bc iv tried everything to no avail. im hoping this drug can help me clear my skin and since you all are so supportive, it is easier to keep fighting this. thanks guys!

skinwise: been the same as yesterday... a few whiteheads here and there... one big cyst down on my chin which has gone down a little bit...other than that, skin is more even-toned already. the breakout i was having before on my forehead seems to be fazing out. the small whiteheads on my chin are almost gone and thats about it :)

hope this day is finding everyone healthy and happy :D

take care guys.

hey darlin', glad to hear the dreaded IB is taming down a bit!! hope the good effects continue for ya.....and I totally feel you on the whole good mood thing. it's like how the 2 days before christmas are actually better than christmas day itself because of the anticipation of a good thing! in otherwords, you know you are on the path in getting the skin you always wanted so that makes you feel awesome!! I'm the same way. anyway, I hope you are enjoying the weekend!! hope to hear from ya soon! :wub:

thanks SLR! :) how far along are you now in your treatment??

so! its day 14 guys...its going fast yet slow... as everyone points out

skinwise: a few pimples still active on my chin, just one whitehead on my cheek and that cyst on my chin doesnt look like its going anywhere soon! :evil: ..hehe..

one thing i am worried about tho is if im going to break out again when i double my dose from 20 mg/day to 40 mg/day in my 2nd month.... does anyone know if this can happen and why? :think: any information is greatly appreciated!

as for side effects.....the only ones i still have are

*occasionally dry(ish) lips

*a tad bit increased thirst (i have a family history of diabetes, so this explains that part...and i AM being a good girl i promise, i gave up my beloved coke and candies..at least for the most part :angel: )

*fatigue

*mood changes !!!! HAPPIER :dance:

alright guys, well hope you all are doing Grrrrreaaaaat :wub:

DAY SIXTEEN!!!! :ninja:

wow...... the only thing on my face other than the many scars i have (which have gotten considerably Lighter since being on accutane) is this one big ...cyst-like thing that i was talking about earlier......only now its got a lot of pus in it and has like three small heads... that sounds like a monster dozn iT! :lol: hahahaa.. well hoping my skin is better from here on in... :think: we'll see tho rite?!

and i think i hear most ppl get their IB round the 4th week? is that correct guys? hmmm if that is then i gues the worst may still be around the corner...but im sure it all depends on dosage, severity of acne, etc bla blabla :wacko:

WELL today was goooood ...went for an interview at the mall, which iis also where i already hav a part time job which i love! but umm i donno bout gettin this one i jus interviewed for cus she was interviewing 25 ppl :wub: sokay tho!

i saw her look at the lil monster of a pimple-cyst-pus-filled monster on my face a couple of times..even though i tried my best to cover up the redness of it...well we all know that no amount of makeup covers the bumps! :redface: heheh.... its okay tho...i dealt with that by tellin myself to hope this is the last interview i have to face like this, God willing :)

well thanks guys for reading my log! and i hope more ppl post something here, id really appreciate it :wub: hope you stop by again soon, until then, happy 'taning! :dance:

From the logs I've read, the IB is highly variable. Some people get it on day 2, some on week 4, some throughout the whole time they're on it, and some none at all.

I personally think it's related to severity initially, yah, but also to how many comedones (whiteheads/blackheads/clogged pores) you have, and your tendency to have those types of things inflame. I have a moderate amount of those, but it seems like everything I do have gets inflamed eventually, but at least when it dies down, I no longer have an issue there!

Hey CAGrl... Glad your skin's doing better now! :) Maybe you can go for a cortisone jab to make that monster cyst disappear... I did that to mine and it completely went away in a few days with no scarring or anything.

I agree with amld, the IB is extremely varied. For myself, i got it rather early (even though i was only on 10mg then!), though honestly i'd rather get it earlier rather than later... Assuming that WAS the IB of course.. :pray:

Anyhow. Good luck with the 'tane! Keep us updated :D

day 18

wwoo!

times flying byy :razz:

my skin islooking great! thank you GOD! and that cyst is going down..other than that, not a single pimple on my face. the rest of my face is still covered in light pinkish scars which are slowly going away as well! :angel: awezome! i hope im done with the IB, im just a little apprehensive about upping my dosage from 20 mg/day to 40 mg/day ...andhow that will effect my skin :wacko: '

TnX for posting guys! REALLy appreciate the support and advice! lov you guys! keep the posts coming! until NEx time, hav a happy great wonderful day! :wub:

ah! im almost done my first month.... my skins looking pretty good and im quite confident with myself when i wear a bit of makeup to cover the scars. :rolleyes: heh well the first month was full of transient side effects, but it seems that my body got used to it and since i am on a very low dose of only 20 mg/day ( i weigh 55 kg) it was easier for me. i think its standard not to have too many troubles on the low doses. :drool: well im off to work today! bye guyZz :wub: