Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
masterk

All Questions Answered Real Fast

thanks, a lot of people should read this.

my question is once your off that accutane post waiting period to begin scars revision, i have shallow but a lot of noticeable scars, my derm wants me to do erbium yag, but i wanted to ask you about fraxel, is it more effective and is it recomended for post accutane patients???? i know i should of ask my derm this but i get stage fright sometimes when people look at me wierdly

These are the treatments to do for your kind of scars. If u choose another method then it prob will not be as effective.

FIRST RULE

U are on an acne scar message board. If u still have acne and have never used accutane then for god sakes go see a doctor and get put on it. U are who the medication was made for.

ICE PICK SCARS

Treat these definately with excision and then any form of resurfacing after. This is very simple to do but could take several excision sessions if u have lots of ice picks. If the excisions were done correctly u should have very minor line scars that can be removed easil with Fraxel or another resurfacing technique.

ROLLING SCARS

Filler, Subcision, and possible excision if they are small, and any form of resurfacing. The filler needs to be redone every so often but that is pretty good advice.

BOXCAR

Difficult to determine without looking at the individual in question. These are a combination of the treatements used for ice pick and rolling scars.

SHALLOW SCARS

Any shallow scar can be removed with resurfacing of most any kind.

THINGS TO CONSIDER

*Dont get laser or dermabrasion done to skin without test treating first, especially if u are latino, asian, black, or darker skinned caucasion.

*If u have very large craters or very severe scarring then u will always have scarring. There is no treatment in the world that can take away severe acne scars. U can improve them for sure but dont expect the world when u go in for a laser treatment and it doesnt do much.

My first rule is the best advice I can give. U want a 100% cure to acne scars then dont get them in the first place. Also nobody needs to take my advice and can tell me that all the peels and things are giving them slow improvements, but the above treatments are what should be done for your particular scars.

I have not been on here much and have spent most of the time talking with a few members that were getting the excisions and Fraxel treatments wich are what I had done. I like to keep things simple and the above treatments are the best for your scars and will be the most effective. This is what I know after reading up and talking with my doctors a lot.

SHALLOW SCARS

if this is the case then how come nobody is posting any results? i have shallow scars...where are the docs who can fix it. i'm willing to travel to them.

SHALLOW SCARS

if this is the case then how come nobody is posting any results? i have shallow scars...where are the docs who can fix it. i'm willing to travel to them.

These are the treatments to do for your kind of scars. If u choose another method then it prob will not be as effective.

FIRST RULE

U are on an acne scar message board. If u still have acne and have never used accutane then for god sakes go see a doctor and get put on it. U are who the medication was made for.

ICE PICK SCARS

Treat these definately with excision and then any form of resurfacing after. This is very simple to do but could take several excision sessions if u have lots of ice picks. If the excisions were done correctly u should have very minor line scars that can be removed easil with Fraxel or another resurfacing technique.

ROLLING SCARS

Filler, Subcision, and possible excision if they are small, and any form of resurfacing. The filler needs to be redone every so often but that is pretty good advice.

BOXCAR

Difficult to determine without looking at the individual in question. These are a combination of the treatements used for ice pick and rolling scars.

SHALLOW SCARS

THINGS TO CONSIDER

*Dont get laser or dermabrasion done to skin without test treating first, especially if u are latino, asian, black, or darker skinned caucasion.

*If u have very large craters or very severe scarring then u will always have scarring. There is no treatment in the world that can take away severe acne scars. U can improve them for sure but dont expect the world when u go in for a laser treatment and it doesnt do much.

My first rule is the best advice I can give. U want a 100% cure to acne scars then dont get them in the first place. Also nobody needs to take my advice and can tell me that all the peels and things are giving them slow improvements, but the above treatments are what should be done for your particular scars.

I have not been on here much and have spent most of the time talking with a few members that were getting the excisions and Fraxel treatments wich are what I had done. I like to keep things simple and the above treatments are the best for your scars and will be the most effective. This is what I know after reading up and talking with my doctors a lot.

SHALLOW SCARS

Shallow surface scars can be taken out with either a series of Fraxels if they are real shallow or dermabrasion/laser treatments. The resurfacing is for shallow surface scarring so if thats what u have then see a doctor about getting treatments. I have not seen any threads on dermabrasion or lasers to see how people are responding to them. Just do your homework and talk to your doctor to see if they know what they are doing. If u get a deep procedure just make sure that u test an area first to ensure that u will heal right.

There is a difference between shallow and moderate scarring though. If u see your scars from 4 feet away looking in the mirror then they are not shallow. The scars that were most noticable on me were easy to spot under bad lighting and different things. They were small and some not too deep but I was told that they were deeper than the Fraxel would get (or any resurfacing technique) so I had them removed.

one reason for the lack of positive results is that people on here that would have the best results would have minor scars and many people would not want to even think about something as major as a dermabrasion or laser done.

99% of the people getting treatments have moderate to major acne scarring and to take their advice when they grow frustrated and call a treatment worthless when their scaring was just too deep to fix with that procedure is not very smart.

SHALLOW SCARS

BULL!!!!!

U spend far too much time listening to people with moderate to severe acne scars bad mouth various procedures. Get off the message board and go to a doctor to speak about getting real treatments instead of just reading what the people on here say all the time.

masterk,

i am terrified of laser. i had co2 8 years ago and it caused me to break out. that is why i am here. does this mean dermabrasion is my only option?

If u healed fine from the laser though I might see about getting that done again. If u broke out maybe that was then is your acne currently under control? You looked very good in the pictures that I saw. I think that was u? Anyway I would think the dermabr or the lasers would work. I dont remmember the term but some people get little bumps all over when their skin is resurfaced. I am too lazy to google but i am sure someone knows the term. If i had your skin and looked like u (this is a compliment) I would get Fraxels done as they are fool proof with no risk. maybe not as much benefit but way less pain and risk.

how did you find your doc? did you go to a plastic surgeon or a derm?

i'll check out the fraxel but i'm inclined to do something non laser.

thanks for the compliment. my self esteem has been so low lately. i hate dodging ugly lighting and avoiding eye contact. i just want to get to the point where i am comfortable in my own skin again.

SHALLOW SCARS

I have shallow rolling scars and I just do a constant regimen of microdermabrasions and glycolic peels (with an esthetician) and it helps enough that I feel decent about my appearance. My skin will never be perfect, but doing deep microderms with peels beforehand yields some results for me. Ideally I would do them once a month indefinetely. I could shell out $5k for Fraxel treatments and really try to minimize the scarring towards becoming not noticeable at all but I am not sure if it's worth it (but I imagine I will bite the bullet one of these days). I am still counting on the price to come down and the technology to improve.

If you have shallow scarring you can really make it tolerable with noninvasive (although constant) treatments with a good esthetician and about a $500 to $700 annual budget for it. Some microderm machines do not go deep at all and that is why I think a lot of people say they don't do anything. When I get microderm I feel a ton of pain (like my skin is being ripped off) and I get the peel beforehand which really kicks it in. If you want to improve your texture find an esthetician who will go deep like this and take the pain.

I totally agree. I have shallow boxscars and rolling scars with a few scarred pores and I feel that I have now minimised their apprearance to unnoticable in most lights.

Every morning I use Ice crystals by Freeze 24-7 and I have seen great results! It is a deep scrub and levels out the skin.

I also use chemical exfoliants every other day - I love Kerafnia R by Lutsine, which is AHA, BHA and Retinol combined and is great for exfoliating and acne.

Of course good skin care in addition to this regimen is a must - I use Clinique anti-bac cleansing soap and Clinque men scruffung lotion 3.5 (even though I'm female) morning and night and Olay blemish moisturiser to plump the skin. La Mer oil absorbing lotion is the best moisturiser for combination/oily skin (great for tone, radiance). It's expensive but worth it in my opinion.

I have also had collagen injections, which definitely helped with my shallow rolling scars.

I highly recommend all the above for those with shallow scars - but you must be consistent in your approach and stick to the regimen for results.

Um, you are speaking to people who have had more than 2 MAJOR resurfacing procedures. Shallow scarring can be just as stubborn, if not more so, than the more serious sorts. It does not lend itself to excision, subcision or other procedures & sometimes dermabrasion and heavy duty lasers do not wipe it out. This is an unfortunate fact, but it's true nonetheless. Having said that, resurfacing DOES help tremendously as does retinA, peels, etc. and lasers tighten the skin to lighten the appearance & SOME people really do wipe out all of their scars this way, BUT NOT EVERYONE!

Um, you are speaking to people who have had more than 2 MAJOR resurfacing procedures. Shallow scarring can be just as stubborn, if not more so, than the more serious sorts. It does not lend itself to excision, subcision or other procedures & sometimes dermabrasion and heavy duty lasers do not wipe it out. This is an unfortunate fact, but it's true nonetheless. Having said that, resurfacing DOES help tremendously as does retinA, peels, etc. and lasers tighten the skin to lighten the appearance & SOME people really do wipe out all of their scars this way, BUT NOT EVERYONE!

I would really have to explain the term "shallow scarring" If the scars are ONLY noticable in bright lighting then they are shallow. Anything noticable all the time under most any ighting condition would be moderate, and obviously anything after would mean major or severe. I had shallow scarring and some tiny ice picks. The ice picks were the only ones that were noticable except under bright lights when I would view my skin i could see lots of surface scarring. ALthough only noticable to me and i guess my girlfriend they still bothered me. If that was all I had on my face however I may have never had anything done to my skin but the ice picks had to be removed and the next step was resurfacing.

There is a BIG difference between moderate and minor scarring though in terms of total scars and the overall depth. The ice picks were some so small that they could be considered "minor" but in terms of scar treatment they would be severe because of the depth they were at. This means that for my "minor" scarring I could have had 10 dermabrasions done and still had them to some degree.

Honestly look at your skin and teh scaras. Imagine that the doctor has resurfaced adn "sanded" the skin away. Will the scars be gone or are they deeper than the resurfacing will get to. The ones not reached are not minor.

Best of luck

konstance

i'm so confused and soooo depresssed. the doc i saw said that the scarring was "superficial" but i can see them in the mirror from 4ft away. does anyone have a competent doctor out there? there seems to be so much ambiguity and subjectivity.

HELP.

masterk, do you think resurfacing can help me? were your "shallow" scars like mine?

U spend far too much time listening to people with moderate to severe acne scars bad mouth various procedures. Get off the message board and go to a doctor to speak about getting real treatments instead of just reading what the people on here say all the time.

You really do know nothing don't you..... I have been told by both different docs i went to that i have "shallow" scarring and i have had 2 dermabrasions......yes 2!!!! one with the wire brush, and another very deep one with the diamond fraise, and i still have scarring!!!! so dont talk to me about treatments Nothing will EVER get rid of a scar EVER!!!! unless you cut the scar out and make a smaller one in its place, although that aint getting rid of it, its trading one scar for another.

so there is no hope? i think i'd rather just know so i can get on with my life.

again, has anyone had good results with shallow scarring. "good" means that the majority of the indentations were smoothed out, skin tone was even and no additional scarring occurred.

thank you.

You really do know nothing don't you..... I have been told by both different docs i went to that i have "shallow" scarring and i have had 2 dermabrasions......yes 2!!!! one with the wire brush, and another very deep one with the diamond fraise, and i still have scarring!!!! so dont talk to me about treatments Nothing will EVER get rid of a scar EVER!!!! unless you cut the scar out and make a smaller one in its place, although that aint getting rid of it, its trading one scar for another.

The "tradeoff scar" is night and day bud. No comparison between a faint line seen when someone is kissing me and a little hole in my cheek. I have said that my scarring was all tiny icepicks and shallow surface scarring. the ice picks were my concern and afterward to fade the color from the excisions and to rid the skin of the superficial scars I had 6 Fraxels. Anything left on my skin is from the excisions and those dont even look like they came from acne. Also they are so faint that its not a concern. Seriously look at your skin and u can gauge what results will come from what treatments. Obviously u can tell if the scars are too deep for resurfacing.

Minor or superficial scarring can mean very few scars that are not too large that dont totally detract from your lokos. I had minor scarring even with ice pciks as they were small and the rest of the scarring was so shallow that it really only did show up when i was greasy and looking in bright lights.

Putty u were the looker that I saw in the other board somewhere posting. your scars are categorized as superficial because u are still pretty and they really dont detract from your looks. I can never really tell how deep anyting is from pictures I thik its my pc but the pix never look right. If u had a deep laser done with no results then I would look into something else. I was lucky to have ice picks because there really is only one treatment to cut them out and then smooth that over a month and a half later.

Seriously look at your skin everyone and u can tell if the resurfacing is going to give u total results or just improve the scars. I mean seriously imagine how far down the resurfacing can get. Barely open your fingers and that is how far down the resurfacing is gonna go. That is why I said that for deep marks or anything noticable that revision is necessary first.

I would never call an isolated instance of a treatment not working correctly or effectively as anything but that. Everyone is different and there are good and bad doctors otu there. Dont lose hope but dont let it consume u either. This is one reason why I like posting on here. After I got those ice picks that was all I could think about. I hated waiting for the accutane to end so I could get them off my face and stop thinking about them. Oddly enough I still look in the mirror and expect to see those f'ing scars. .

thanks masterk.

i hope i can find a good doctor. this really has me down...its almost to the point of consuming me. i've been crying a lot. its very difficult to ask someone who has never had scarring to relate...my husband is supportive but can never understand the pain and self-consciousness i feel.

i think people are looking at me thinking, "aww, she would be so pretty if her skin weren't so bad". i'm not even looking for perfection...just improvement. this forum gives me comfort til the next doctors appointment.

arctic monkey,

did you see any improvement after your dermabrasion? did some of the shallow ones go away? did the indentations become less deep?

i don't think you can ever totally get rid of the scar tissue but you can minimize the depth or make it not look so much like acne scars.

are your scars similar to mine in depth and texture?

Hi Putty, my scarring is similar to yours, from what i can make out in your photo anyway. my skin has a wavy unever sort of appearance to it, the dermabrasions did help i suppose but the scarring is still obvious, it certainly didn't get rid of ANY of the scars, but i suppose it kind of made them less visible, although they are still visible, Dermabrasion sure isn't a cure for scarring or a miracle.

"aww, she would be so pretty if her skin weren't so bad"

Nobody is saying that about u. Thoses scars are not bad at all. I would not really give it a second thought except for the fact that I had scars and do tend to notice skin.

When I scarred my sister was very very great about everything. She was actually a model and is gorgeous with perfect skin. My girlfriend is also very pretty with perfect skin so that made me feel bad sometimes during it. SHe didnt give a crap I guess and even was not for doing some of the stuff that I did. My sister was different and great for me through it. She was in the beauty business for many years and really does understand how looks affect u.

Anyway Putty u are pretty and your husband doesnt give a shit that u have scars so go ahead and do another resurfacing treatment or Fraxel and then leave it in the past. I cant see how those scars would look noticable after a deep resurfacing. So the first one gave u no results then?

I would also try makeup combinations for some minor scars. I actually had a Neutrogena kit that had a silacylic acid goo to put on and then foundation. I filled in the ice picks with the goo and then put the foundation over that. It was like 3 things in one but it worked and I am a guy so obvioulsy it wasnt even noticable that I had it on. Plus it was for acne so it didnt cause zits, although I was on Accutane at the time.

I wish u all the best

Konstance

masterk,

the co2 laser is what made me break out in the first place. i had it done to remove chicken pock scars. i would gladly have the chicken pock marks back instead of the hideous acne scars.

things are a bit tense for me now cause i am breaking out (after trying apeel correct). its been years since zits have been this bad. i'm having flashbacks to 8 years ago when it got really bad and i'm terrified i will be left with more scars. i'm considering asking my derm to put me on accutane. does it prevent breakouts for life?

thanks for your kindness.

Yeah I would go back on it as it is the most perm solution to acne. Will keep your oil down for good also. It really is not as bad as a lot of people will say either. It made my lips really chapped and my nose got dry but that was all. U get checked once monthly too so there are no worries really. Some say they broke out bad on it but I never did at all. Had one day 5 days into it where my face got oily to the point that it looked like I was sweating. That was all and the oil stopped there and never started again. Worked 100% perfectly for me.

thanks. i'll give it one more week. if this junk on my face doesn't clear up then i'll ask my derm for accutanne.

Is there a difference between erbium laser and erbium yag? because I was watching 10 YRS YOUNGER a show on TLC and they had a derm perform erbium laser treatment on a lady to make her look younger and there was no downtime

FIRST RULE

FIRST RULE

dont be a presumpuous asshole. I wasn't allowed accutane because I'm anemic. not all of us are just pussy footing around with our fingers up our ass, some of us actually can not have the drug for medical reasons. And alot of the people here have been on their like 5th session of it and are still broken out. it doesnt work for everyone, if it did, this place wouldnt exist.

dam allycat, chill pill homegirl. why u so negative, he's just trying to help. at least he's helping answering all the questions. keep it up masterk, i for one appreciate it

Man why so shitty ALLYCAT? We are prone to scarring from acne so it only makes sense to use the only medication that is a sure thing. Well accutane is the closest thing to a cure for acne so it really should be used.

If u couldnt use accutane there are lasers that work in the same way shrinking the oil glands. I knew a girl that had bad acne but not much scarring that had been on accutane and it didnt work so she got laser treatments and those worked great for her.