Solodyn

MemberMember
(@maver1ck)

Posted : 08/02/2006 3:11 pm

I just got back from the dermatologist. He prescribed me with solodyn. Supposedly it's the first antiboitic to be approved by the FDA specifically for acne treatment. I don't get excited about antibiotics but at least it's better than minocycline( which I've used ). Has anyone here had any experience with it?

MemberMember
(@agreat)

Posted : 08/02/2006 4:36 pm

yo i just got this today....i hope someone has more info on it

MemberMember
(@moneyball2)

Posted : 08/12/2006 4:55 pm

i just got it today

$485.....better work good

MemberMember
(@jess2005grl)

Posted : 08/23/2006 4:21 pm

i just got it today

I was prescribed Solodyn and have been taking it for about two weeks now. I havent noticed a huge difference but then again--its only two weeks in, so we'll see.

**Also, do you not have insurance? When I went to the pahrmacy to fill my prescription they told me it was going to be $400!! So-I called my dermatologist and they gave me this coupon for it and I didnt have to pay a thing! So-maybe you could call your doctor and ask them about it-because $485 is ridiculous to pay for an antibiotic.

Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@ruti)

Posted : 08/23/2006 5:42 pm

I just got back from the dermatologist. He prescribed me with solodyn. Supposedly it's the first antiboitic to be approved by the FDA specifically for ance treatment. I dont' get excited about antibiotics but at least it's better than minocycline( which I've used ). Has anyone in here had any experience with it?

I've had it for 2 weeks now and had to go off it. Didn't seem to do anything except KILL my stomach. Derm said I could take it every other day or so but now I'm on Accutane so it's out of the question anyway.

MemberMember
(@stevel)

Posted : 08/23/2006 6:39 pm

Unfortunately the clinical trial numbers for this drug are not very promising when compared to plain old minocycline. I'd love to be proved wrong but I don't see this being any kind of revolutionary breakthrough - and especially not for what they are charging.

It will take a while for this drug to be covered on most Rx plans. It will be very hard to convince the insurance companies that this is something new or novel.

I wish you luck with it, though.

MemberMember
(@gmoney)

Posted : 09/06/2006 9:15 pm

Asking price 979.59

Insurance saved me 742.98

Walk out price $236.61

This crap better work!

MemberMember
(@abeachgirl)

Posted : 09/06/2006 9:20 pm

I've been taking it for a month and half now- NOTHING- absolutely nothing!

I've been on minocycline before and supposedly this drug shouldnt have any kind of correlation to it- but it isnt doing anything for my skin. Im incredibly dissapointed.

MemberMember
(@beentheredonethat)

Posted : 09/07/2006 10:44 am

It's just a time release version of minocycline, i wouldn't get too excited.

MemberMember
(@silvrmoondust)

Posted : 11/29/2006 11:31 pm

I just got back from the dermatologist. He prescribed me with solodyn. Supposedly it's the first antiboitic to be approved by the FDA specifically for ance treatment. I dont' get excited about antibiotics but at least it's better than minocycline( which I've used ). Has anyone in here had any experience with it?

I've been on Solodyn for about 4 months. I'm 21 and have been trying various acne treatments for about six years. Nothing really worked except for this. It took time but it's definitely worth the wait and price. I also use a prescription face wash called Brevoxyl-8 and Tazorac Face Cream.

-R

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/02/2006 11:16 pm

Solodyn is still minocycline; its just the name brand instead of that cheap generic brand stuff that doesnt work.

Ive been on it for a couple of weeks so I cannot really say if its working or not and its around the time I am starting my period so that also makes me break out.

MemberMember
(@yankeechick)

Posted : 12/13/2006 10:04 pm

I've been on Solodyn for about 4 months. I'm 21 and have been trying various acne treatments for about six years. Nothing really worked except for this. It took time but it's definitely worth the wait and price. I also use a prescription face wash called Brevoxyl-8 and Tazorac Face Cream.

-R

i thought i read your only supposed to be on it 3 months? i 've been on it for a month and a half. started out on the 90 mg and am now on 45. i think i see an improvment. but than again that could be the power of suggestive thinking.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/13/2006 10:32 pm

I've been taking it for a month and half now- NOTHING- absolutely nothing!

I've been on minocycline before and supposedly this drug shouldnt have any kind of correlation to it- but it isnt doing anything for my skin. Im incredibly dissapointed.

OMG I know! Ive been on it for a month and I dont even see a little bit of improvement! I recommend evoclin :)

MemberMember
(@zegogglestheydonothing)

Posted : 12/18/2006 1:46 am

antibiotics take at least 2 months to work imo. This is what doctors have told me and from personal experience. I've been on Solodyn for 3 months and honestly, I would say it JUST starting working. By that I mean I no longer get new cysts, even on my back. I have about 2-3 small whiteheads per week. That's it. I am also using Tretinoin cream.

What will happen when I go off the Solodyn though? Big problems! I am deciding between IPL and Accutane.

MemberMember
(@asmallchild)

Posted : 12/19/2006 12:32 am

Just got a Rx for Solodyn too.

The directions say to take it for no longer than 12 weeks. (Safety is unestablished beyond that time period)

So what happens once that time period elapses? Do I go back to nothing? And hope my face stays acne free?

(I was told the side effects are pretty crummy too. Lightheadedness and headache are the most common. Some suffer from GI upset too. My dermatologist told me that these symptoms typically appear about a week after starting the medication but sure enough, I feel a bit queasy in my stomach after Day 1 of taking it :P...I'm a true wimp)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/06/2007 10:02 pm

i just got it today

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/06/2007 10:06 pm

01/05/07--Just got a perscription for this. It's been a few months since you wrote. Has it worked for you?

Asking price 979.59

Insurance saved me 742.98

Walk out price $236.61

This crap better work!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/06/2007 10:08 pm

01/05/07-Its been a few months. Has it worked for you?

Solodyn is still minocycline; its just the name brand instead of that cheap generic brand stuff that doesnt work.

Ive been on it for a couple of weeks so I cannot really say if its working or not and its around the time I am starting my period so that also makes me break out.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/07/2007 7:01 pm

not the OP

but my face has gotten worse since the solodyn

is this to be expected?

MemberMember
(@baselineace)

Posted : 01/09/2007 2:05 pm

not the OP

but my face has gotten worse since the solodyn

is this to be expected?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/09/2007 3:24 pm

This stuff is garbage. I'm throwing it out along with my Dermotologist.
MemberMember
(@co_lab)

Posted : 01/12/2007 12:27 am

I got a prescription from my derm for solodyn as well about 3 weeks ago and its not getting worse or better for me even with the tazorac cream. People have said before that it takes +2 months to work, but I don't feel safe taking antibotics for that long. I think i'll go back to my DDF products in 2 more weeks and switch doctors.

MemberMember
(@chaosnightwolf)

Posted : 01/12/2007 6:06 pm

Oh great, I just got this stuff today and not a single positive review. Thanks alot derm....

MemberMember
(@asmallchild)

Posted : 01/13/2007 1:43 pm

I got a prescription from my derm for solodyn as well about 3 weeks ago and its not getting worse or better for me even with the tazorac cream. People have said before that it takes +2 months to work, but I don't feel safe taking antibotics for that long. I think i'll go back to my DDF products in 2 more weeks and switch doctors.
MemberMember
(@co_lab)

Posted : 01/14/2007 6:27 pm

It also states that the safety of this drug has not been confirmed past 3 months.

So if it takes about 2 months to work, and then I have just one month left to see results, is it really worth it?