Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katz

A couple AHA questions

I recently added the Alpha Hydrox AHA Enhanced Lotion (with 10% glycolic acid) to my regimen. I use it only at night. Dan suggests to use it to "spot treat", but I prefer to try applying it to my entire face to hopefully reduce scars. My question, therefore, is at which point should I apply it? Right now, my night regimen looks like:

1. Cleanse with Cetaphil Cleanser

2. Apply BP

3. Apply Alpha Hydrox

4. Moisturize

When spot treating, Dan advises to apply the AHA before BP, but I don't know if it'd be the same if I'm doing it to my entire face. What are other people's opinions on this?

Also, I seem to have become flakier (despite the product supposed to help with flakes). It doesn't bother me: I gently get them off in the morning and after all the regimen steps, I usually don't see them. Is this normal or am I possibly using too much?

And lastly, is it best to simply place it on the skin and then just let it work, or should I massage and rub it for a bit? Thanks for any help.

I recently added the Alpha Hydrox AHA Enhanced Lotion (with 10% glycolic acid) to my regimen. I use it only at night. Dan suggests to use it to "spot treat", but I prefer to try applying it to my entire face to hopefully reduce scars. My question, therefore, is at which point should I apply it? Right now, my night regimen looks like:

1. Cleanse with Cetaphil Cleanser

2. Apply BP

3. Apply Alpha Hydrox

4. Moisturize

When spot treating, Dan advises to apply the AHA before BP, but I don't know if it'd be the same if I'm doing it to my entire face. What are other people's opinions on this?

Also, I seem to have become flakier (despite the product supposed to help with flakes). It doesn't bother me: I gently get them off in the morning and after all the regimen steps, I usually don't see them. Is this normal or am I possibly using too much?

And lastly, is it best to simply place it on the skin and then just let it work, or should I massage and rub it for a bit? Thanks for any help.

Sounds like a regimen for disaster, if you ask me!

Sounds like a regimen for disaster, if you ask me!

Really? Are you saying applying the Alpha Hydrox to the entire face is bad or what? I'd appreciate more information.

Between the Cetaphil Cleanser, AHA, and BP Gel, that's an awful LOT of products with alcohol in them. These will surely irritate or worsen whatever your trying to fix to begin with. I'm pretty sure whichever moisturizer you plan on using also contains irritants. At the very least, you should use the CSR Gentle Cleanser for washing.

Between the Cetaphil Cleanser, AHA, and BP Gel, that's an awful LOT of products with alcohol in them. These will surely irritate or worsen whatever your trying to fix to begin with. I'm pretty sure whichever moisturizer you plan on using also contains irritants. At the very least, you should use the CSR Gentle Cleanser for washing.

yeah dont listen tothis guy... there is no alcohol in any of those products at all lol... he has no idea what heis talking about

using it on the entire face is fine, i do and get good results- here is the best advice i can give you though, dont try to listen to what everyone else tells you works for them, dont ask so many questions, the only constant in skin care is that what works for some doesnt work for others -- experiment and see what works best for you! as to when to apply it, i would say do it before the BP because that is what dan suggests and dan does his research and has things fairly well figured out that works for the majority of people, but you may not be in that majority so try both ways and see what works for you

You have the correct order.

Yes, flaking is normal. The AHA is exfoliating your skin.

Yes, you should work it a little to ensure proper distribution.