Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How many of you had psychiatric / psychological issues before you had acne? I'm talking depression, anxiety, dissociation, trauma, etc. Did you find that acne made your problems even worse, or just had no real effect on it?

I started to have some mood problems before I had acne. I took accutane, my moods were worse than ever. Now Im fine for the most part.

Is that a known side effect of accutane?

I was quite depressed as a young child and used to cry alot and feel excluded from everyone else.

Now I'm in my teens I've grown out of that phase and I barely cry at all and if I do it's usually because of my acne, so really it's made the situation worse than it would of been if I was clear.

yes. Anxiety (agoraphobia) I was also depressed when in was 16/17 (not severly though to the point were I would be suicidal). I learned to get through it all though.

I have an anxiety disorder..I was on meds before accutane, but stopped a few months before starting because i had several doctors try to overmedicate me..

Now I just try to work out and use other methods to control my anxiety...

None of my meds ever helped..and I'm really scared of some of the side effects of some of the newer medications I was prescribed...

One medication actually made me forget my birth date on one occassion...

But I actually feel better than ever..I just don't sleep much

I grew up as an abused kid - lots of trauma and all of the disorders, neurosis's, and behavioral problems that came with it. I think that is why, honestly, my acne isn't the *worst* problem I have.

But it does stand to reason that some days, it is still a pain in the ass for me.

I grew up as an abused kid - lots of trauma and all of the disorders, neurosis's, and behavioral problems that came with it. I think that is why, honestly, my acne isn't the *worst* problem I have.

But it does stand to reason that some days, it is still a pain in the ass for me.

Sorry to hear. I hope life is showing you happier days now.

On a lighter note, the script of your tattoo is very cool. What does it say?

I have an anxiety disorder..I was on meds before accutane, but stopped a few months before starting because i had several doctors try to overmedicate me..

Now I just try to work out and use other methods to control my anxiety...

None of my meds ever helped..and I'm really scared of some of the side effects of some of the newer medications I was prescribed...

One medication actually made me forget my birth date on one occassion...

But I actually feel better than ever..I just don't sleep much

Me too.... But meds are my friend now....I tried acupuncture and herbs first but nothing helped....

Acne triggered my anxiety/agoraphobia but I had mucho depression problems on and off for years.... Now my skin is better and the anxiety is lessening...

I don't sleep at all.... :( Worst side effect ever.....

Yeah, but my anxiety stemmed from bowel problems - fear of leaving the house because I might need to use the bathroom and there might not be one I could use (that trapped feeling - what if I have to go?).

Acne made it worse in high school, that's for sure. Now that I'm out of school, the anxiety is still there because the bowel problems are still there, and the scars don't help.