Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I had been very frustrated with my skin and more or less had a breakdown in front of my poor, supportive boyfriend. I don't know why, but I let him convince me to NOT use any topicals and just wash my face with a mild wash. Probably because I was about to start Retin A Micro (formally used Differin and am on my 3rd antibioitc) - - so after three days of only washing, my skin is looking better than it has in MONTHS. WHAT??? I'm so confused. Was what I was using too harsh? I am continuing the antibiotcs (Keflex 3x a day), and I think my skin is calming down.

I guess the short of the story is, what is the next step when something like this happens? Stick with what works?

I have a dematologist appointment in about 2 weeks (8/11) - - feel free to tell me what you think - - stick with the mild wash and antibiotic? Attempt to start the RAM?

Mind you, my skin is better, but not PERFECT, there are still break outs (and sad red marks from former breakouts). Rarrrr!

So I had been very frustrated with my skin and more or less had a breakdown in front of my poor, supportive boyfriend. I don't know why, but I let him convince me to NOT use any topicals and just wash my face with a mild wash. Probably because I was about to start Retin A Micro (formally used Differin and am on my 3rd antibioitc) - - so after three days of only washing, my skin is looking better than it has in MONTHS. WHAT??? I'm so confused. Was what I was using too harsh? I am continuing the antibiotcs (Keflex 3x a day), and I think my skin is calming down.

I guess the short of the story is, what is the next step when something like this happens? Stick with what works?

I have a dematologist appointment in about 2 weeks (8/11) - - feel free to tell me what you think - - stick with the mild wash and antibiotic? Attempt to start the RAM?

Mind you, my skin is better, but not PERFECT, there are still break outs (and sad red marks from former breakouts). Rarrrr!

This is exactly what happened to me. I was on doxy and birth control, and using an SA facewash and BP at night. My acne was bad... not the worst ever but still bad. Then I threw away the SA, the BP, and started using Cetaphil for Oily Skin Cleanser and the Cetaphil Moisturizer. My skin got 80% better in 2 weeks and I was virtually clear with a few spots here and there that were calming down. Then I got my wisdom teeth pulled and had to go on Keflex for a week, and I got some major cysts. I decided to come off the antibiotics (since I was on them before I switched to the gentle face wash and they weren't working then... plus I was getting yeast infections), and start RAM. My skin is pretty clear right now (only one "active" zit, one diminishing cyst, some blackheads on my nose, and several scabby spots and red marks), but I haven't experienced the IB from the RAM yet. My hope is that with the gentle cleanser/moisturizer and the RAM (and the birth control, which I need anyway for my periods, though it's been great for the face as well--switched types right around the same time as I switched to the gentle cleanser) will clear me up really well. Good luck! I'm hope this strategy will work for both of us!

P.S. Keflex 3 times a day is pretty strong... that's a lot of antibiotics to have in your system, make sure you watch out for stomach troubles and yeast infections. Ask your derm if you can go off them at your appointment, but don't go off until he tells you to. It's better in the long run to avoid antibiotics for more than 3 months at a time.

Sounds like we're in the exact same boat.

I want to start my RAM, but I am, to be honest, quite worried. I am enjoying my improving skin. All I have now is a few active pimples and some red marks, but it is literally 75% better than Friday morning.

I think I will continue with this simple routein until my appointment in two weeks - - and keep praying!!!

Oh, and PS: How long have you been back on RAM? I've head of people doing "short contact" (using RAM for 1-2 hours then washing it off) for a week or so before moving up to every other night and THEN using it nightly and have thus avoided the IB.

I think RAM will help significantly, but I'm very afraid of the IB. I know that is immature, but I suffered through Differin for MONTHS believing it would eventually help and it never showed....

Oh, and PS: How long have you been back on RAM? I've head of people doing "short contact" (using RAM for 1-2 hours then washing it off) for a week or so before moving up to every other night and THEN using it nightly and have thus avoided the IB.

I think RAM will help significantly, but I'm very afraid of the IB. I know that is immature, but I suffered through Differin for MONTHS believing it would eventually help and it never showed....

I've been using the RAM at night for a week now. I've heard of the short contact method too but I'm okay with an IB, especially if it turns out to be my last breakout :dance: I'm on the lower dosage--.04%--and my skin is virtually clear at the moment with just that one cyst (shrinking by the day, woohoo!) and a couple scabs. I don't know if I'll even get an IB from it, but I'll keep you posted on that front. I am experiencing a little dryness and a very slight burning sensation when putting the RAM or moisturizer on. I tried RAM .1% before but my derm prescribed it incorrectly (told me at night for a week and then increased to twice a day the second week--bad idea with sensetive skin) by the third week my face was a blistery hell and took weeks to heal so it scared me off of it. Then the derm prescribed Differin, and I had the same results as you... that is to say, none. :evil: So I thought RAM was too strong and Differin was too weak... I just couldn't win. I didn't know there was a lower-strength RAM or that it was prescribed incorrectly until a month ago.