Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deonanna

Going to the dermy to see about a Rx benzoyl peroxide treatment -- help/suggestions?

Hi all! *waves*

I've been following Dan's CS Regimen for about a month now (although I tweaked it a bit by using a B/P cleanser). It's great! Fortunately I've never had bad acne or problem skin, but I do get the occasional bump and blackheads tend to love me. :confused: But! With the following products, my skin has been fantastic and clear:

Wash: Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask (I leave this on for about 3 minutes, then rinse).

Treat: Neutrogena On-The-Spot (as suggested in the regimen).

Moisturize: Cetaphil (also suggested in the regimen).

I've ordered and tried Dan's B/P gel, and while it gets great reveiws from others and works for many, I simply don't find it to be effective. The day (and the days following) that I stopped using the Neutrogena OTS and started using the Regimen gel, I started to see small bumps (whiteheads) around my chin and jaw again (and I'm positive I used enough). :( So I'm sure, that the only sure-fire treatment product that works for me is the On-The-Spot treatment from Neutrogena.

However, I go through about a tube each week, and at $5-6 bucks a pop for such a small amount, I'm wondering if I should just go to a dermatologist to see about getting a Rx benzoyl treatment.

...Hope that makes sense! Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone has had or is currently using a Rx B/P treatment. If so, what is it? How much do you pay? What's the amount you're given (not the strength, but the actual oz. in the bottle/tube/package)? Are there any other over-the-counter treatments around that are a bit cheaper than Neutrogena OTS, but effective?

Thanks in advance for any replies or suggestions! And thanks Dan for sharing the Regimen with us! :)

a long time ago I was prescribed plain bp, don't remmeber size/strength, but I would guess it is approximately 3 oz as it is smaller than Dan's BP but still sizable.

I remember it being around 20 bucks,

Checking for product, check

drugstore.com

http://www.drugstore.com/pharmacy/prices/d...&trx=1Z5006

2.5% at 60gm, which is just over 2oz, is $18.

walgreen.com

http://www.walgreens.com/library/finddrug/...de&id=13057

so you will not really see a cost saving, unless your insurance covers it, but even that you probably won't save much... dunno.

Add to it the cost/co-pay of the derm visit... well you decide.

Frankly, even the OTS is cheap if it get you clear (at your usage rate as stated, its just over 20 bucks a month, dirt cheap), lots of options costs hundreds per month.

gluck.

a long time ago I was prescribed plain bp, don't remmeber size/strength, but I would guess it is approximately 3 oz as it is smaller than Dan's BP but still sizable

I also vaguely remember using prescription BP, but it was also a long time ago... now it's OTC for me! :)

Checking for product, check

drugstore.com

http://www.drugstore.com/pharmacy/prices/d...&trx=1Z5006

2.5% at 60gm, which is just over 2oz, is $18.

Ah! Reading the list jogged my memory. The unpleasant dermatologist I saw when I was a teen had prescribed Desquam-X BP 5 or 10, as well as other non-BP topicals, none of which worked all that well. :mad: It's been ages, but I can picture the Desquam-X as a long, thin, blue tube. * I didn't realize there's also a Desquam-E until I saw the list in your link.

so you will not really see a cost saving, unless your insurance covers it, but even that you probably won't save much... dunno.

Add to it the cost/co-pay of the derm visit... well you decide.

Frankly, even the OTS is cheap if it get you clear (at your usage rate as stated, its just over 20 bucks a month, dirt cheap), lots of options costs hundreds per month.

You've really got me wondering what's the deal with prescription BP's. How different than the OTC's are they really? Better? Worse? Same?

And if you could buy something as good or better over the counter why not? :shrug: (Actually, now that I think about it, most of the OTC BPs I've ever tried have been crap, except for On-the-Spot, which I had been using since even before I discovered this board.)

* hey, I just found an interesting page with comparison photos showing the packaging of many different prescription BP products, and I was right about the thin blue tube! :dance:

photos