Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Smokeyjay

Hey guys. Need advice

Hi fellow acne comrades.

First of all, I just found this site. Its nice to see ppl with similar problems, but I also hope you fix your acne soon.

I've been having serious acne since I was 12-13. Now I'm reaching 21 and I still have problems.

I'm a male, almost 21 years, Asian, pale pale skin (live in Canada-heck I'm paler than most caucasian ppl I see), and sensitive skin. I used to have really oily skin (as if someone smeared a bag of potato chips on my face) during my teen years, but now that I've been drinking lots of water (like 5-8 bottles a day) and eating healthy, I think its improved. I've taken various acne medication all my life since I was 12. I've shocked pharmacists with the amount of medication I've taken.

I just got off my 2nd trial of Accutane. This time 80mg a day. It might seem excessive, but I went on Accutane (40mg) when I was 18 and showed almost no signs of improvement. I'm 150 pounds, so my dermatologist felt it was alright.

Question 1:

Afterwards, my doc put me on Adapalene Gel 0.1. What do you guys think of this? I'm still getting acne though...Sometimes I get breakouts, put the gel seems to work though. My misgivings though is that it doesn't prevent acne from breaking out, but does kill it off when it appears in 3-4 days.

Question 2:

I was thinking of doing laser surgery. What do you think about this? Advice for ppl who tried this out?

I'm really eager for this, to the point where I'm willing to go into debt for this...For clarification, my acne isn't that bad anymore after the 80 mg Accutane. Maybe 1-2 small ones a day which then disappear after 3 days (is that bad?).

Question 3: What do you guys think about tanning salons? They reduce the appearance of acne. All the acne medication and acne has made me into a recluse to the point where I can't go outside. If I get laser surgery, would I ever be able to go to say a salon?

Question 4: I'm getting these bumps on my skins. Espescially around my mouth and around the nose. Lots of them. There like acne, but without the red colouration. There really visible under the right light. What is this, and what can I do to help it?

Thanks for your help. Opinions, comments, advice-whatever is appreciated. Sorry, my typing will be a bit off until I get a new computer. I'm using a 7 year old laptop that makes it difficult for me to type.

Man...I just checked out some of the members pictures and it looks like you guys have never ever had acne before. I would imagine that only people with bad acne would frequent an acne forum because I see no acne scars or anything.

Its a tad demoralizing, but what the hey. I would also post my pic if my comp wasnt so sh*t*y and I wasn't computer stupid.

Also wanted to mention that I'm taking:

Clean and Clear Morning Burst exfoliant and facial scrub-two times a day.

And Elizabeth Arden moisturizer-I picked whatever-Just started using moisturizer really since 4 months back.

Just a thought on question 2 - When did you finish Accutane? You shouldn't try laser for at least 6 months after you finish the course.

Re the gallery - yeah I thought that too. Its amazing what some people describe as acne!

Guest chesterfalls

Man...I just checked out some of the members pictures and it looks like you guys have never ever had acne before. I would imagine that only people with bad acne would frequent an acne forum because I see no acne scars or anything.

Its a tad demoralizing, but what the hey.

Re the gallery - yeah I thought that too. Its amazing what some people describe as acne!

See, now this pisses me off. You're just as bad as the people that say; ''Oh you can't notice it, don't be stupid, its nothing to worry about'' etc.... That to me is ''a tad demoralizing''. :eh:

What you think about the pictures in the gallery is fine and its your own personal opinion... but you really don't know how those people feel about their skin and how it effects their day-to-day life etc... how upset they are, how sick they are and how long they've been dealing with it... Do you not think that insensitive comments like yours belittle them and make them feel unwelcome or stupid for being here? You can't just disregard how they feel because you feel your condition is far worse? That's awful.

Who has the worst acne and how has the clearest skin is completely irrelevant. I mean, what are you saying? Only people with very severe acne have the right to complain about it? :confused: Last time i checked this wasn't the fricking Acne Elitist Club!

Regardless of individual severity, Acne's emotional effects are exactly the same. These boards are here to help and support everyone.

I'm sorry if this came off as harsh, i really don't mean to be, i'm just sick of continually hearing and seeing comments similar to yours... So, sorry to piss in your cherios, as it were... :D