Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danny©

new paleo-solution to acne

i thought this might interest you

Loren Cordain, the author of the paleo diet and epidemiological researcher come out with a new book which

dealing with the principles of the paleo-diet addresses acne and acne alone

Cordain Ph.D chose to publish this book after his big study on the link between diet and acne was successful and proved the link. It is said about this clinical trial that: "it was the first human clinical trial to show that diet did indeed cause acne, and that diet could also be used to improve acne symptoms. "

"I" personally think Cordain might be onto something here because he mentions certain factors related to the development of acne which I have read about on many textbooks and studies but are not known by many ... like the role of zincalphatwoglycoprotein ...

The testimonials are worth promising

I think this is must have at least for those that are trying to use paleo-diet principles to improve their skin

You can also request a free preview, maybe containing info from all chapters or table of content or just one chapter ... dunno

Paleo Dietary Acne Cure

ive read this book and have been on this diet (most of the time) for almost two months now, there is some truth to it, this diet is very helpful to acne sufferers but no where in this book does he try to address the genetic factors of acne so it is incomplete.

we all know there are genetic factors to the disease and cordain doesnt mention anything about it but provides good research on how diet affects acne. definitly a must read if you have acne.

plus his studies on this diet are not even published yet that should tell you something about his theory too. just check pubmed

ive read this book and have been on this diet (most of the time) for almost two months now, there is some truth to it, this diet is very helpful to acne sufferers but no where in this book does he try to address the genetic factors of acne so it is incomplete.

we all know there are genetic factors to the disease and cordain doesnt mention anything about it but provides good research on how diet affects acne. definitly a must read if you have acne.

But as genetist Richard Lewontin fighting a battle to put genetics into perspective and disproving the genetics hype and myths our culture is victim of, genes are only hereditary predisposition weak or strong points

While everyone think of genes as the cause of everything and blame genes for diseases and conditions in real medical terms genetical predisposition just increase the risk given the same amount of causative factors

For example if people are genetically predisposed to diabetes given the same factors that trigger diabetes like diet and lifestyle have 10% more risk of developing diabetes than someone not predisposed

Both the subject genetically predisposed to diabetes and the subject non-genetically predisposed given the same LACK of triggering external factors have both 0% risk

This has created a lot of controversies about the concept of genetical heritance because it has been observed that children heir the same lifestyle and nutriional choices that triggered the condition on their parents and there are more evidence for this kind of heritance than the genetical one

Genes need a trigger, alone they have no power to create disease nor it has ever been proven that they can even though news about genetics researches are published everyday on all magazines and presented as facts, this is far from the truth

No kind of real genes involved in acne has even been found and while of course genes could predispose to increased sebum production or pore obstruction ... it's hard to understand whether this is caused by genetical heritance or lifestyle heritance BUT given that genetical weaknesses need an external trigger to develop ailments and that we don't have a way to control the weakness (and probably will never will in spite of what we're told to believe) the only thing we can do is controlling the trigger and "disactivating the weakness"

To say that acne is genetical so far is just too generic and it practically means that they don't what are the causes of acne, but either way Cordain is right in focusing on the only proven factors and reversible factors ... what's the point in mentioning elusive genetical speculations when even if they were facts and not speculation the only solution would be to control the triggering external (lifestyle) factors the same?

Just my thought ...

good point made ill have to say.

Still there are people who may never develop acne to the degree of others and sometimes not at all when consuming a diet just as crappy as the guy with all the acne.

same diets and yet totally different response.

why one gets acne and not the other? and whos to say the guy with acne would not have developed it on a "perfect diet"?so the variables are Diet and Genetics once you follow the perfect diet for 3-6 months i guess you have your answer.

there is only one varible left and thats genetics.

... it's hard to understand whether this is caused by genetical heritance or lifestyle heritance

You cannot cure acne with diet, sorry.

Hi Danny

Thanks for alerting the forum to this.

I am already a paleo-follower, on restricted carbs and sugars etc. I don't want anyone to give the secrets of the book away- they have purchased it, after all-but isn't that the core essential information?

EG Eat lean meats and fish, salads and fruits and vegetables with next to zero sweets and breads?

I am just curious to waht else Cordain can offer on the subject whe the eating strategy can be supplied in a couple of sentences.

Great stuff, though.

Cheers

CT

QUOTE(DanK @ Jul 29 2006, 11:04 PM)

Hi Danny

Thanks for alerting the forum to this.

I am already a paleo-follower, on restricted carbs and sugars etc. I don't want anyone to give the secrets of the book away- they have purchased it, after all-but isn't that the core essential information?

EG Eat lean meats and fish, salads and fruits and vegetables with next to zero sweets and breads?

I am just curious to waht else Cordain can offer on the subject whe the eating strategy can be supplied in a couple of sentences.

Great stuff, though.

Cheers

CT

Cordain goes into great detail as to how why diet affects acne, he does legitimate research and you can find his name credited on studies on the National library of medicine's search engine PubMED.

He goes into great scientific detail for each of his theorys, yea the diet can be summed up in one or two sentences, but if you really want to know EXACTLY how the diet will help YOU and if you want to educate yourself on his theorys and educate yourself on a disease that you have, then i would suggest you read the book.

Cheers,mate.

This stuff is of great interest, in any case. I reckon it will be worth the money.My acne is in retreat anyway because of dietary changes.I am just mulling over whetehr the extra info will be worth it.

I am just curious to waht else Cordain can offer on the subject whe the eating strategy can be supplied in a

Support is one of the most important thing for many people

My teacher always tells me that I do the whole learning, she's just there for support ... we students could learn everything by ourselves provided we can read somewhere the information we're learning ... teachers offer nothing you can't learn on our own but provide the kind of support which makes the whole procedure more comfortable, enjoyable and easier

All diets could be summed up in one page or less but there are so many support forums and message boards out there because it becomes easier when you don't have to figure out everything by yourself and can resort to some help. For example the paleo diet can be summed up as: eat veggies, fruits and nuts, meat, fish and eggs and don't eat milk, cheese and grains

But then you should figure out by yourself your shopping list, the amount of this or that food, the cooking methods, how to combine foods to create palatable meals and should support and say "go on this is going to work" to yourself

The book makes the process easier having success stories reminding you to be faithful it takes months, figuring out for your the right amount and percentage of foods explainin the whys and hows, figuring out a shopping list and providing meal examples and recipes

that's it ...

why one gets acne and not the other? and whos to say the guy with acne would not have developed it on a "perfect diet"?so the variables are Diet and Genetics once you follow the perfect diet for 3-6 months i guess you have your answer.

Not necessarily

Let's say that acne is just caused by diet and that all genetics can do is increasing the percentage of risk if you follow the wrong diet

But even if it was proved without doubt that acne can only be caused by diet, does that mean that switching to the right diet can reserve the condition?!

I've always believed that prevention is the best cure because it's 10000 times easier to prevent than to cure

This for example how it relatively easy for the water a dam to flood a town but just because more water was able to flood the town it doesn't mean that less water NOW will stop the flood or once the flood is over will rebuild the destroyed buildings and streets

Yes, the "right" amount of water could have prevented the flood, but the right amount of water once the damage is done won't reverse the flooding

On more scientifical terms Dr Fhurman was able analizing studies to prove that the dietary choices of children will make them future cancer sufferers and it's so important how a child is fed that even changing one's diet at 14 (let alone 30) may not reverse the destructive reaction started years ago

What I'm saying is that correcting diet not being able to reverse a condition started by a wrong diet is not a proof that diet wasn't the only cause ... just that it can't be the cure

You can eat as much refined sugar as you want, it still will not cause you to break out.

Follow common sense. For diet: no dairy, red meat, processed foods, fried foods, chocolate, refined grains, oils, fats, etc.. especially processed foods and dairy. You can eat these foods occasionally, not regularly. I consume dairy maybe 2-3 times a year. Also, I poach, bake, and grill my foods in place of frying. If I use any kind of oil, it is typically extra virgin olive oil. My diet consists entirely of fruits, vegetables, chicken, fish, and legumes. I usually drink 2 cups of orange pekoe tea a day, too.

##

-Roaccutane Science: http://max001.proboards42.com

-Retinoid signaling, etc.

-FDA Advisory Committee on Accutane (2000)

-Accutane package label (2005)

-Package label history

"You can eat as much refined sugar as you want, it still will not cause you to break out."

Oh yeah? Let's see evidence.

Here's mine, shortened: refined sugar ---> blood sugar spike ---> insulin is released ---> elevated igf-1 in conjunction with insulin release. if your liver is capable of making enough igfbp-1 to offset the heightened igf-1, acne will not result. otherwise, breakouts :)

"You can eat as much refined sugar as you want, it still will not cause you to break out."

Oh yeah? Let's see evidence.

Here's mine, shortened: refined sugar ---> blood sugar spike ---> insulin is released ---> elevated igf-1 in conjunction with insulin release. if your liver is capable of making enough igfbp-1 to offset the heightened igf-1, acne will not result. otherwise, breakouts :)

what is igfbp-1 rubber sheep?

IGFBP-1 is insulin-like-growth-hormone binding protein, MB :) Very intriguing, what it does is inactivate excess IGF-1 that you get from spurts of insulin... there are a few things you can do to boost IGFBP-1, namely by boosting glutathione, your body's most powerful antioxidant. I theorize that liver flushing somehow boosts liver function back to normal, helping your liver to make more IGFBP-1 and therefore help your acne. I also theorize that not until you've got a good portion of stones out of your liver can it fully heal, as the liver is obviously a very self-healing organ capable of regenerating itself, but under the right circumstances.