Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey guys ..my question is this_ when you are gonna shave, do you use those gilette

foams and stuff like that¿?

I hate shaving, coz it irritates my skin so bad :( and makes small pimples appear :(

I wonder if those foams could help to reduce the irritation

do you use them?

or are they bad for skin , do they make acne worse?

thanks

Most of the gillettes , colgate and edge have menthol in them. Whether they have menthol in them, i haven't had much luck with any creams. They aggrevate my acne and make me break out. I use to use cetaphil the bar because it wont cause acne and it gets suddy. Im presently using purpose cleanser as a shave solution which works well also

When shaving make sure that you soak a flannel in fairly hot water and hold it to your face for a while, then soak it again and hold it to your face etc. This one little thing makes shaving a lot less painful.

Whether you use gels/creams or foams isn't life or death, but don't use too much as they will clog up your razor.

Always shave with the grain of your stubble, not against it as it will cause irritation.

Another good tip is to shave once in a particular area to get rid of most of the stubble, then reapply some more foam and shave again to tidy it up. Don't shave without any foam on though, I did for years until recently when I started reapplying foam. All you need is two strokes of the razor on any one area, any more will cause redness.

theres some good advice on shaving here

personally i use this razor, this shave gel, and this aftershave balm.. i absolutely love all three and can definitely recommend them after a lot of trial and error with almost everything else.

the gel is great because it is really slimy and moisturising so the hair just shaves off real easy and its fragrance free and has no menthol or anything so it wont tighten the skin and make shaving difficult. the moisturising balm is the best thing ever and i have used it everyday since i first discovered it, it's alcohol free and is very gentle and light. and the razor is the only one on the market that i like simple as that and yes i am very fussy :D

the best advice i can give you for shaving is to do it after a shower so the hair is softer and to do it slowly and carefully, this will reduce or eliminate any irritation and keep your skin healthier as a result. and you definitely have to use some kind of gel/foam/cream etc (although cream seems to give me acne) when shaving otherwise you are giving your skin some really rough treatment

Best thing I ever did for my skin was switch to electric shavers. Please don't try one of those cheap rubbish ones and write them off. The high quality ones give a close shave with ZERO irritation. My current one is like this one:

http://www.shavers.com/merchant2/merchant...._Code=msnorelco

but there is a lot of choice. Just 5 minutes dry shaving in the morning then I'm ready for the shower.

i feel your pain guys.

about a week and a half ago i bought the new Neutrogena Skin Clearing Men's Shaving cream for about $9. It has 2% Salicylic acid in it, so it claims to stop acne and in grown hairs and make ur skin clearer.

However yesterday i shaved with it for the second time, and the next morning had the start of 3 pimples...the big ones that come from under the skin with the big red painful bump with them.

I used to shave with Neutrogena razor defense shave gel, and had used that for several several months, and cant remember any problems or pimples with that. So next time i shave im gonna go back to the foam and see how it works out.

I think the cream, or gel that u use is the main factor that either clears or makes ur skin worse, not the razor itself.

-Alex

use the Aveeno shaving gel! thats the best one and everyone seems to love it. It reduced my irritation and razor bumps by 80%

Agreed. You won't find a better shave foam than either of the Aveeno ones.

use the Aveeno shaving gel! thats the best one and everyone seems to love it. It reduced my irritation and razor bumps by 80%

Agreed. You won't find a better shave foam than either of the Aveeno ones.

I also agree! I use "Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel with Natural Colloidal Oatmeal" and highly recommend it. Aveeno makes another shave gel which I've not tried.

Follow the above advice on either shaving immediately after a hot shower, or wetting your face with hot water first by either by splashing the hot water on it, or--possibly more effective--holding (not rubbing) a hot wet washcloth (or "flannel") against your face to prepare it.

Also abide by Ben's advice on the direction you shave. Go in the direction of the hair on your first round of shaving.

I'd also say: wash off any shaving cream or gel afterwards with a gentle cleanser (using your hands, not an abrasive washcloth). And follow up with a noncomedogenic moisturizer.

On a slightly different note

anyone know if stubble itself aggravates acne? Any info on this would be much appreciated

thanks

On a slightly different note

anyone know if stubble itself aggravates acne? Any info on this would be much appreciated

thanks

i dont think so. but the fact that there is some hair there may allow the skin underneath to stay oiler than it would if you were clean shaven, so you might get more acne as a result

Shave with an Aloe Vera-based organic shaving cream. A sharp safety razor is also a good idea.

I use a trimmer since razors always aggravate my skin.

Plus, stubble can be sexy :clap:

Sorry, I'm a girl but yeah, like you said

Stubble is VERY sexy. :P

Try using aloe vera for a shaving gel (100%), works great. No irritation.

ive started to use the new Neutrogena Clear Skin Shaving Cream for men around my chin, and in the past 2 weeks i started to get alot of white-heads on my chin.

Im gonna go back to Neutrogena's Razor Defense Shave Gel which never gave me problems in the past. But can anyone recommend a good shave cream or gel that will not cause acne at all...i dont really care to much about irritation since i never seem to get it. I just dont want acne caused by the shave cream.

I also heard that Shave Gel's are better for acne-prone skin, than Shave Creams...is this true??

shave in the shower and wait till the end of the shower to shave. it really great for you skin, plus you get such a close shave with no irritation.

All of these are great advice your getting.

The best thing i ever found was edge active care, shaving cream. I use this, and any razor- and it works wonders.

Also, i shave after showers or i heat up my face with warm water to make the hair softer and easier to shave.

Last thing i do- i shave with the hair- except on the neck, and afterwards, i go against the grain to get the stubble.