Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

my derm said that it is okay that i use benzaclin and neutrogena oil free acne wash in conjunction with each other... but i always read taht they reduce the effectiveness of each of them. can someone shed some light on this please??

my derm said that it is okay that i use benzaclin and neutrogena oil free acne wash in conjunction with each other... but i always read taht they reduce the effectiveness of each of them. can someone shed some light on this please??

Benzaclin is not straight BP... it's BP+clindamycin, so I don't know. It's probably fine since you're rinsing off the SA wash anyway.

It's fine in that it won't seriously mess up your skin the way using BP and retin-A at the same time will, for example. Most SA washes are more drying and irritating to the skin than non-medicated washes, though, and because the SA isn't on your skin long enough to actually do anything, you're better off using a less harsh cleanser. Believe me, as someone who used pretty much every medicated facewash available at a drugstore, I can tell you that not one of them made a difference in my skin besides to dry it out more, which really sucked when I had active acne and painfully dry, tight skin from liquid SA washes.

It's fine in that it won't seriously mess up your skin the way using BP and retin-A at the same time will, for example. Most SA washes are more drying and irritating to the skin than non-medicated washes, though, and because the SA isn't on your skin long enough to actually do anything, you're better off using a less harsh cleanser. Believe me, as someone who used pretty much every medicated facewash available at a drugstore, I can tell you that not one of them made a difference in my skin besides to dry it out more, which really sucked when I had active acne and painfully dry, tight skin from liquid SA washes.

Yeah that's completely right. You're better off with a gentler cleanser... I learned that the hard way too.